Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-02-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Hey all, I just took a job in Spokane, WA and will be moving up there in a month or so. I figured I'd hit up the trusty wakeworld message boards for some info on the riding situation in the area.

Where are the best places to ride in and around Spokane? What is the boat market like in the area?

We would like to live somewhere that would reduce a commute to a prime riding location and is close to some nice golf courses. If anyone lives there and knows some information about the city and is willing to help out a new neighbor, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot!!

Adam
blindmnkee3@yahoo.com
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-02-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Adam, check out www.wakeboardnorthwest.com for northwest riding info.......
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-02-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
I can't say much for riding there. I've heard some people ride on the Columbia river. As for living, some of my friends and relatives that are there call it Spokompton.

Sorry I can't help more than that.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-02-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Holy Crap! What up Bro? So from College Station to Spokane...What are you thinking?! hahaha

What are you going to be doing? Check out my profile pics...there are from back in the day behind Rob's boat.

Drop me a line if you swing by Dallas. Maybe us 3 could get out for old time's sake.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-02-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
I'd say some of the best riding anywhere in the country is Lake Roosevelt. I only go there on Labor Day and Memorial Day and it is glass all day every day. I can only imagine that it would not be any worse on non holidays. The drawback is that it is a short riding season and the water is pretty cold except for August and July. The launch that we use is about an hour from Spokane. I don't know much about the golf courses out there, but there are some decent ones, you'll just have to do a search. Nice profile pic, I know that exact spot. Gotta love Kauai.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
Coeur d'Alene has an excellent golf course with an island green. Lake Roosevelt is amazing, and is about an hour drive from Spokane. Excellent water and beach camping everywhere. I know there are a lot of smaller lakes in the area, just not familiar with them. Definitely enough water to go around though. As is with most towns there are nice areas of Spokane, and not so nice areas. I find that the downtown is laid out pretty nice and has a decent bar scene. Frank's boxcar diner is the bomb for hangover breakfast too.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-02-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
Sweet, thanks for info, anything and everything helps.

J,
Yeah, its crazy, I'm going into the great white north, eh!!!! Lol, we're real excited about it, just a huge change. I'm working with St. Jude Medical, should be a good experience in the medical device industry.
Hopefully we can make it up to Big D before we leave, I haven't heard from Rob in a long time. I'll let ya know if we head up that way.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-02-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
Adam - There are lot's of places to ride around Spokane. There are a bunch of lakes less than 30 minutes away that have good water early season. And as Troy said, an hour or so away are tons of lakes & rivers that hardly ever get used...

The only problem is the water can be freaking cold!!!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-02-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
Adam, there are so many lakes/rivers near Spokane. You won't have a problem finding a great spot. I've been going up to a lake near there for 25 years. It's the best place.....
Old     (simpson)      Join Date: May 2006       06-02-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Adam,

There are lakes in all directions surrounding the Spokane Area. Most of the lakes are smaller, but usually aren't crowded. I have spent a lot of time on Newman Lake, WA and Hauser Lake, ID. Especially during the week. They are both east of Spokane but easy to get to.

I now live on the Spokane River right in the Spokane Valley. The water is always glass, but on the cold side. My family has a place at Seven Bays on Lake Roosevelt, it's about 1hr 15 min from Spokane. Some of the best riding you'll find anywhere around there.

Spokane area has a lot of good cheap golf courses. They are county subsidized course to keep them reasonable. I used to play the courses in Liberty Lake.

If you have any specific questions or want to go boarding sometime feel free to contact me ed@simpsonengineers.com

Ed Simpson
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
For sure Roosevelt the best riding spot there is. We have property in Lincoln, about a ten minute ride from Ed in Seven bays. You can always find good water there. Also the beaches are an added bonus. I know Long Lake out towards Nine Mile area is decent to ride on and also has some nice homes as well. Little more of a commute, but it will make you a hick in no time! j/k
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       06-02-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   
There are plenty of places to ride here! Just depends on how far you want to drive. Some of the small lakes get busy now that it's warming up, but you can always find some good water...it's chilly most of the year though. Dry suits are a sound investment for extending the season here. We usually get out a few times a week starting in late Mar/early Apr. Shoot me an e mail when you get up this way.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-02-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
Ed,

Do you ride on the Spokane river? If so, I would love to get a chance to ride it. Whenever I go down Up-River drive I look out at the river and it's always glass and there isn't anyone on it. Hit me up if you are ever looking for a third.

Adam,

Let me know when you get up here. I have been riding since 91 and have access to some pretty sweet boats and water.

Later,
jjakober
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Hey my friends and I are goin on a senior trip up to Williams lake in a couple weeks. I think it's about 30 miles or so from Spokane. I heard it's pretty nice.

Jamie
Old     (simpson)      Join Date: May 2006       06-03-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
J Jakober,

Yes I ride the Spokane. I live on Maringo about 1/2 mile downriver of the Argonne Bridge. You will rarely see any boats out. The water is basically always glass. The homeowners are the only ones with access to the water. There is no public launch, we have to get permission from the Upriver Dam to use there launch. I actually don't have the boat in the water yet. We have to wait for the spring runoff to come down, but that should be in the next week or so.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-03-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
I went to eastern. Williams lake is about 15 miles south of Cheney. It is small. They have some cliffs that are ok. They only go to about 30 feet where most people go or you can take a bit of a walk and jump from 80 or so. Wouldn't recommend that though. I haven't but people ride on the spokane river. I think there are some spots in spokane kind of out in the valley. You can also go out to Post falls ID which is about 20 minutes east of spokane. It isn't bad. There is another lake close to williams lake called badger lake that would be a better place to ride I think. Williams lake has some really shallow spots you have to watch out for. There are actually a bunch of small lakes west of spokane. As far as golf goes there are abunch of nice public courses that cheap. Check out indian canyon, qualchen, hangman, painted hills, and there are a few others. As for roosevelt if you head northwest of spokane it is about an hour to porcupine bay, which I have heard is a pretty cool place.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-03-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
Ed Simpson (simpson) - I live up in Northwood and look at the river every time I cross the bridge at Argonne. I am soooo jealous - it is, as you say "always glass"!!!

Let me know if you need a third as well...
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-04-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Porcupine Bay, definatly is a sweet place. Nice sand beach to chill on and a pretty good beach line to ride at as well. That is one of our prime spots on our yearly trip to Roosevelt with friends and family. Also the SanPoil river that feeds in at Keller Ferry is a great place to find good water if Roosevelt is choppy.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-05-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Hey...there are riders in Spokane afterall...

Check out:
Lake Roosevelt, WA (you can camp on the shore in some areas)
Long Lake, WA (be sure to rinse out your wetsuit/gear really well after riding here...smells like a toilet sometimes)
Loon Lake, WA (small but fun)
Hayden Lake, ID (sometimes choppy...hit it early in the morning)
Lake Coeur d'Alene, ID (drive around for a bit and you'll find a spot...can get choppy though)

Welcome to Spokane
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-19-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
Awesome, I'm really looking forward to moving up to Spokane. It sounds like there are lots of places to ride and play golf. Thanks for all the responses, its been a big help!
Old     (brad63)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
go across the border a short distance and christina lake is right there
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-19-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
Hey Brad - I just checked out Christina Lake. I had no idea it was so close. Do you U.S. Citizens need a Passport to go between US & Canada these days? Wasn't sure since Homeland Security in the US has been beefed up. Let me know if you know. Also, are there any wakeboard camps on that lake? Thanks.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-20-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
There are about 20 good lakes within an hour. I grew up there and went to college at Whitworth. Up north I would try Deer Lake, then Loon Lake. Out east, the Post Falls River, (watch for debris), Newman, (very small), and twin (N. Idaho), and Hayden(my favorite east).

Northwest, I rode Long Lake most of the time. It's basically the upper part of Rosevelt. I would launch out of 9mile on Long Lake/Spokane River. There is a launch that is closer and free but you need to know how to navigate the shallows on the river part and you really don't want to experiment unless you are with someone that knows.

Rosevelt is overall the bomb. You can pull you're boat right up on the beach and camp 3 feet away. My absolute favorite spot over Shasta, Powell, Mead, etc...

You'll have a lot of fun there.

Stay away from Liberty. Way too busy.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-20-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Spokane has some nice golf courses that are very reasonably priced, relative to other cities. Where ever you choose to live, you will be near quality courses. You mentioned boat market . . . assuming inboard boats, Mastercraft, Supra, and Moomba have dealers in Spokane . . . Malibu, Correct Craft, and Centurian, are in Northern Idaho. I have rarely seen any other models around. From downtown Spokane, Long lake is probably the most convenient for wakeboarding . . . you can be at the launch in 20-25 min. Coeur d' Alene will provide more places to visit, however, it's pretty choppy for boarding. I have a place at Deer Lake, which is 50 min. from downtown or 35 min. from north Spokane. It is a great lake for early season boarding . . . hardly anyone on the lake. All in all, Spokane has a lot of lakes within a 50 mile radius . . .
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-20-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Spokane does have a lot around. All those lakes will be great. Just hopefully you can stand driving one way street everywhere while you are actually in Spokane! It can get a little annoying.