Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (deltaboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-11-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
My boat started leaking like a sive through the shaft so I decided I would try to change the packing by myself and I have everything all taken apart but I cant seem to get the old packing out. I used a paperclip and slid it around into the big brass nut and was not able to pull anything out. It feels as though there is nothing left in there. Is it possible that the old packing burned up? Or do I need to completely remove the shaft to get the nut off and try to remove the old packing?
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-11-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
The old packing could be gone, just try to apply the new stuff.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
The packing material is really compressed inside the nut, and a paperclip won't work. I made a very sharp tool like a dental pick, using a coat hanger. I could get it to embed into the packing material, but I couldn't pull any out.

Boater's World has a special tool that looks like a small corkscrew, and it probably would work. I don't know for sure, however, because I tried a different approach when my homemade tool didn't work. I just tightened the nut (quite a bit), and I got it down to 6 drops/minute. Before I did this, mine leaked like a sieve, too. You might try really tightening the nut.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
I have a cheap 12V electrical test light (you can buy at any auto parts store for $5) that has a very long, sharp pointed end. I used that to gently pry out the old packing. Take care not to screw up the threads when picking around in there.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-11-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
I just did mine last night. I was having the same problem. I got a pick set from Sears. It was really cheep. There is one pick that is at a 90 degree angle and it pulls old packing out like cake! I would not recommend putting the new packing on top of the old packing, but you can do whatever you want, it is your boat!!!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-11-2006, 10:25 PM Reply   
Once the wax is gone old packing can become somewhat abrasive and burn a shaft, it's best removed.
Old    oldschool            04-11-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
I had that tool that looks like a corkscrew and it works perfectly.