Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old    akman            09-12-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
I want to thank my hosts for the weekend Jason and Stefani Payne.

I have met some truly very generous people here on Wakeworld and have maintained some great friendships via the net locally and long distance. My first visit to the Legendary Delta can only be described as a GREAT day of riding and hanging out with some of the nicest people.
It was great to put a face with some of the names I have come across over the years. Most of them are longtime wakeworlders that have turned to lurking.

I had the pleasure of meeting Shawn Keck, Trace Tena, Rob Thorsen, Mike Owens, Jimmy Muir, Katie Muir and got to visit some longtime friends Jason and Stefani Payne and Christie and Josh Fisher.

We started out of Orwood and headed to Union Point to meet up with Christie and Josh. Per Capita I would say that was the highest amount of high end wakeboard boats that I have come across over the course of a day on the water.

I can now see why STORAGE is an issue for those of you that ride the Delta regularly, I can honestly say space is an issue when you have a crew of 5 to 8, coolers, towels, food, vests, boards and anything else you might need for a DAY on the water. I got to see why Yachts are basically the death of any wakeboard boat driver that isn't paying attention, the rollers we went over were pretty damn big and from what I was told that was a "small" yacht.

The day ended with a BBQ on Shawn Keck's deck complete with Tri-Tip, Potato Salad, Pasta Salad, beers, mixed drinks and all the junkie food you can imagine....Trace Tena's wife made some sort of a chip dip that was absolutely kicking with flavor.

Thanks again to those that came out I had a GREAT time, anytime you are in the San Diego area please let me know you are more than welcome at "Casa de Savage"

Here are a few pictures from the day...

Gramps rocking the mini van rental car
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
gramps having a Monster energy drink...hungover from the night before
Upload
Shawn, Rob, Trace
Upload
Upload
Gramps feeling a little cold
Upload
Brrr water is mid 70's at best....where is a drysuit?
Upload
Gramps next to the beefy X2 wake
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Doc Octogon threw down some clean runs with a lot of floaty grabs and spins.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Mrs. Doc Octogon (Katie)
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Mike Owens
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Jason Payne
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Randon shots from the day

Dude either the ballast is full or the bilge is on
Upload

WTF??
Upload
Upload

Katie's future profile picture
Upload
Doc Octogon and Katie doing the Grind
Upload
Celebrity sighting.....Christie Fisher
Upload
Stefani at the wheel
Upload
I have seen a few shots of this place in video's
Upload
Line of the day from Stefani..."I think the engine just sputtered" Gramps, Mike, Doc Octogon...."blahblahblahblah"

Gramps eating his words as we ran out of gas and I had to paddle.....
Upload
Upload
Sacking down Shawn's Sanger
Upload
Hanging out at Shawn's house on Disco.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Penis boat heading home
Upload
Eye Candy across from Shawn's
Upload
Doc and Katie
Upload
Gramps is looking a little buzzed
Upload
The first person I ever met on Wakeworld, one of the nicest persons you will ever meet Christie Fisher.
Upload
Brady (Jason/Stefani's son) wants to drive
Upload
Everyone clear??
Upload
Woke up Monday morning to this thing singing and walking down the hallway....WTF???
Upload

Thanks again everyone I had a great time and hope to make it back soon with Mrs. Gramps.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-12-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
Looks like fun times. Who could ask for more...good friends, good food and drink, and the Dirty Delta right outside the back door!
Old    wakelvr            09-12-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
Gramps,

Where do I even start? One of the nicest persons I ever met.... Aki! Biggest kid I ever met as well. You and your SoCal crew/family have been wonderful over the years and are welcome in our home any day of the week. Thanks for not roasting me too bad on WW:-) What a pal! Sorry you had to paddle (not:-) Ja and I are happy you had a good time (as did we). Thanks to everyone for coming out and special thanks to Shawn for inviting us over (again;-). Fisher, it's been nice having you out two weekends in a row. Thanks again everyone for a great day!!!

First person to guess what that blue thing is (his name) wins! ;-)
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-12-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
Baby Smurf?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-12-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
That's the dot of knowledge, but I didn't know Aki had named it! What did I win?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2006, 1:50 AM Reply   
That day very much reminded me what great, great, great friends I have. I couldn't feel more lucky. And really happy and stoked to add Gramps to the list, a truly exceptional character of obvious warmth, wisdom and honor, and SO funny!! God, with that whole crew, I cannot remember ever when I have laughed so much on the boat for a day. Looking forward to hanging out with the Gramps's as soon as they can make it back, and with all my good friends (met through WakeWorld, and looking forward to meeting more)!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2006, 1:53 AM Reply   
gramps, glad to hear you had a great time.

been holdin' out on me, huh, doc?

mike, i see you're back. give me a call dude!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-13-2006, 2:09 AM Reply   
Gramps, I am sorry I missed your visit. If I was not out of town, I would have been there to say hello for sure. Glad you had a great time!
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-13-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
Awesome Pics guys & gals....

Looks like an amazing time & a true recipie for fun!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
Good times.... Wakeworld definitely is like one big family. I've met too many cool people here to list.

You guys must've been on a X2 when you ran out of gas. When that guage reads 1/4 you are SOL. I've never been on another boat that ran out of gas, but I've been on about 4 X1/X2's that have. LOL.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-13-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
Trevor and I had a great time on Sunday. It was really nice meeting you Aki. I would love to check out your place in Mexico somtime, it sounds like a great place to ride and relax.

As for the little blue guy, I believe he is from the Backyardigans, and I think his name is Pablo. I'll have to check with my kids when I get home to confirm.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
Nice to see that Doc can still ride! And that he still needs a hair cut!
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Fortunately, my son is old enough now that I have NO CLUE what the heck that blue thing is

Aki - It was great seeing you again....sorry we could only come out for a couple of hours. It looks like you all had a typical delta blast for the rest of the day.

Thanks again everyone for going out of the way so Josh and I could join in part of the fun.

I miss days like that
Old    wakelvr            09-13-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
Rob wins!!!! You are such a dad!

Yes, we were in our X2 when we ran out of gas:-) It's only our second time in three years, LOL. I tried to tell my crew but they wouldn't listen. As Aki said... "blah, blah, blah. Stef, quit being a spaz... blah, blah, blah." Sputter, Sputter, dead! DOH!!!! Fockers!
Old     (houseofpayne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-13-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
"Yoooour friends the Baaaaackyardigaaans"
Damn song is still in my head.
It was our pleasure to have you up here Aki.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-13-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
First, AKI. That grab was soooo close. I am only hoping that you actually grabbed the board. I know how much hazing you get from your usual dorks about not hitting the grab. GOOD JOB.
Second. Second. I am sure you have heard that Tracey, Vinny and I are headed to SD tomarow.! I have sent you emails, but I believe I am sending them to your old email addy. This all goes to show how much W.W has done for all of us. Have had a chance to meet Stefani and her gang. Mike Owens even rode with us here in CO a few years back when on a biz trip.. All are fantastic peeps. I can't even begin to describe the relationships my wife and I have made with Aki and the gang there. Goes way beyond just wakeboarding. Blabel and melissa are now my surfing buddies, as well as Paul and the others. We visit each 2-4 times a year. Heck, that is more then I see some of my family. and I can't tell ya the last time I was in a boat with them. See some of you thursday!!!!
Old    wakelvr            09-13-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
Did you all notice the board Aki is riding?

Before riding: "I had my ass handed to me last time I road this board"

After riding: "I like this board, soft landings, hmmmm"

You owned that board Aki at the end of the day;-)

I second what Andy said. We have met people from all over because of WW. Good times, good friends:-)
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-13-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Looks like a great time Aki. I have to agree some of the nicest peeps up there that i've never met.

I really miss all of Christies videos...some of the funniest vids ever

One day i'll make it out there
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Yeah, I meant to comment that the Ak-man was putting some major float under that thing considering it wasn't even his board.

Thanks, J-Rod, of course there is no proof that any of those were actually LANDED, but it sure did feel great to finally be back out on the water with friends. And the "George Carlin" look is gonna be hot, the next big thing... you'll see.
Old     (tammy1)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-13-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Great pictures..

Miss ya all.....
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
Jimmy looks like you got the retro Nugent goin on with the addition of the scruff. Ditched the old Byerly for a new one as well.

Wish I could have hung out until Sunday to hook up with you guys, maybe next time.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
All I want to know is -- did Gramps thrown down his famous Teriy-Akis?

Looks like great times!

Paynes: how many hours on the boat by now? If I remember right, ours were born within weeks of each other.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-13-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
Looks like everyone had a blast. I really need to make it for my first Delta trip. Heck, I have a DRA sticker in my truck window. Does that count! Every time I see pics of Disco Bay, it kills me. I would love to have a place there.

Andy,

Don't know what your pland are in SD, but I will be on the water Thurs most the day at San V. Extra boards and stuff if you have a chance to hit the water. Just jump on with us. Reply back here or PM me.

Thanks for the great pics Gramps. Looks like a great time!
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-13-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Sorry for the thread hijack - but did anyone happen to find a perfectly good looking teak platform floating around the Orwood area on Saturday (sans mounting brackets)? It is off a 2003 X-star (x-2).

Thanks...
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Wang-dang, sweet poontang...
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-13-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
After talking to him it looks like you guys left a great impression. Reminds me that we need to head up there again!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Wish I could of made it out to meet the Grambs.

Blablemooch, hit me up when you visit your gals parents. I will get ahold of Barry and we will hit up the spot.

(Message edited by twakess on September 13, 2006)
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-13-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Squid, he sold his boat!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-13-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
Buzz, thank you very much for the invite, but this trip is just a relaxing trip with our 7mo old boy. He told us he really wanted to meet Blabel and the gang. I am just going to do some casual surfing in PB and visiting with some of the gang. And drinking beer and eating my way down the boardwalk. I have not been on a wakeboard in over a year and would hate to make a fool of myself on San V. I will reserve that to my surfing!!! Next trip maybe. I seem to gravitate to SD every 4 months so. Thanks again.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-13-2006, 11:53 PM Reply   
wow - those photos brought back memories. great to see everyone still hittin' it!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-14-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
Blabelmooch, I know but the spot is only 40 min from my house. I have boat so no worries.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-14-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
Cool, I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure he'd enjoy getting on the water again anyway.
Old    wakelvr            09-14-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
Hey Fred, sorry I missed your post. We are in the 300's but we are lagging since we got pregnant. We haven't put many hours on it in the last two years. That will change hopefully now:-) How about you?
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
Figured the little one may have taken up some time... ;-) He looks like he is about ready to drive you all though... Your boat looks great! We're at about 450 hours, and still just as happy with ours.