Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    sonicr1            01-21-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Well, I just had surgery yesterday, and I am already going nutso!!! I had Orthoscopic-cleaned up miniscus and a minor tear in my ACL... my knee doesn't hurt much, unless I stand a lot and the swelling gets bad. When I try to bend it or walk on it, it makes a weird squishing sound. Oh, well, at least I will be ready for spring. No real point to this poast, just boared out of my skull!!!!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-21-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
Well quit standing around alot and keep the swelling down.
Swelling is your worse enemy, just do isometric lower extremity workouts and stretching for the next few weeks.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-21-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
damn dude thats nothing, the fiance is just getting final release from an ACL reconstruction, and I just had my biceps tendon reattached.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-22-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
I had my bicep tendon reattached in October. Doctor says no Wakeboarding, Snowboarding, Golf or much of anything else until April.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-22-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
It's been just about 5 years since I had total reconstructive knee surgery and I can do everything that I could before. The only thing I can't really do is when i'm bending down on my knee's, I can't bend my right knee(surgery knee) all the way down. And it makes that squishing sound all the time. But it's all good\clipart.
I went off a jump while skiing and pulled a daffy and my tip caught. needless to say, my upperbody went one way and leg went the other(oh the pain I endured on the mountain that day.
Old    pureride540            02-16-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
I know all about it. I had acl reconstruction surgery the day before New years. It sux not being able to do the simplest things like walk or shower without pain, but its all worth it in the end. Once the summer comes you can brag to ur friends how even through surgery you came back to the sport you love. I cant do anything until around May..no snowboarding, running, dirtbiking. Me and my friends still go out and snowskate. They skate, I tape...it all works out so your not stuck on ur ass at home watching Maury reruns. Plus, all that time on the crutches builds the upper body, not all bad comes from surgery.
Old    xtremebordgurl            02-16-2004, 8:44 AM Reply   
I jus messed up my right knee again, acutely tore the acl a couple yrs ago and i was given the option for econstructive surgery and i didn't take it. Now the Orthopedic dude said he thinks I worsened the tear and tore other ligaments in my knee. I'm walking arround fine now, I go to get MRI's tomorrow, if I am given the option of surgery.. should I take it? I'm thinking yes, but has anyone had any knee problems due to the surgery? Also who's wearing knee braces and do they help a lot? Where did you get your knee brace?
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-16-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
craig, pretty long time, I got my surgery on December 30, should have full release April 1, I go in wedneday to get release for weights. Did you tendon get reattached to humerus or shoulder?
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-16-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
Shane - Besides the detached bicep tendon I also had a torn labrum and something with the rotator cuff, can't remember exactly what he said the deal was with that. I am starting on weights now, low weight high reps. Another friend of mine, Dave, had similar surgery late November, partial bicep tendon tear and seperated labrum I think, and is ahead of me on the flexability and weights as well. The good news is the doctor says I'm still an schedule to start riding in April.
Old     (houseofpayne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-16-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
Completely tore my ACL on July 7th 2002, casced (sp?) the wake at Pedro doing a half cab method tantrum to blind... (actually a basic hs jump).
Had ACL reconstruction on Oct 30th last year. Ortho at Stanford used a cadaver Achillies Tendon. That was the only work needed. No meniscuc or other ligaments. PT started me jogging (5 mph on the treadmill) around the first week in January this year (around 2.5 months post op). Knee actually started to feel better after jogging.
Muscles are still weaker than the good leg.
Only big complaint so far is the small "cracking popping" when doing squats/extensions. Imagine it's the scar tissue still breaking up.
Doc says that this is a 6 month rehab, should be back to normal late April.
Used a CTI2 brace by Innovation sports all last year. Worked out great. Still will use when riding. Decided to have the surgery cause it gave out a couple times playing basketball. Felt like when you roll your ankle..only it's your knee.
Surgery is the way to go as long as you got the insurance for it, keep with your rehab, you'll be out there in no time.
Water temps will be in the 70's when we can ride again Will..winter riding is over rated anyways...jk
Good luck..Jason
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-17-2004, 4:18 AM Reply   
Bess ~ Argument for surgery depends on your age & level of activity.
The younger you are the more damage you can do to the articular surface of the knee joint. Which mean that you get arthritis sooner and will need a Total Joint replacement sooner in life.
I torn my ACL almost 10 yrs ago ( June 20 1995) and only had the L & R meniscus cleaned and remnants of ACL removed at that time.
I was already in pretty good physical condition (including balance & coordination, Proprioception) at the time. Went back to full activity in 3 mos, which including sliding on my bad knee in softball, roller blade Hockey, volleyball.... but I know my limitations as well.
Have a custom ACL brace locked out at -5 degrees extension, but hate using it and have never used it playing any sports.
You also have to be disciplined enough to do the little exercises that keep your Proprioception incheck too if you decide not to have surgery.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-17-2004, 5:40 AM Reply   
Craig, my labrum was torn bad enough they ended up attaching the tendon to the top of the humerus, they say it works better there anyway. Still ready to get on the water.
Old    xtremebordgurl            02-17-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
what is Proprioception?
Old    jetgofish            02-17-2004, 10:40 PM Reply   
William I feel your pain. I have been diagnosised with a torn miniscus and possible ruptured ACL...you can check out the Snowboarding thread "Headed to Dillon" for some cool pics as to how I did it! I basically got into a fight with a mogul at Beaver Creek, all because I was chasing a damn snow flake. Needless I didn't catch it. Any how, here is sit on crutches, with moderate swelling, limited range of motion and I am stuck on crutches. I'm currently in PT twice a week until the 27th. At that time I will undergo a full physical exam and we will schedule and MRI. Doctor says scope with possible ACL reconstruction. I'll be off the water he says until June/July should we have to replace the ACL. I've not been able to put full weight on my knee since the 4th when it happened and when I do it hyperextends and I fall on my ass....(nothing like falling on your ass in front of a ton of people on Valentine's Day looking like an ass in front of your date...more sake please!!!).

Any how we are both in the same boat, just seems as though I am a few weeks behind you and Jason is a couple weeks ahead of me. So Jay..cheers on the boat this weekend, you got the flag or the wheel?
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-18-2004, 5:09 AM Reply   
Bess ~ All the more reason why you should be in Physical Therapy right now.
Old    pureride540            02-25-2004, 4:59 PM Reply   
Bess-- I had acl reconstruction surgery just before New Years. I waited a while to get the surgery and I would say to deffinitly go for the surgery if you can. The recovery is slow at first and painful at times, but never as bad as when you tore the acl. Its only been 2 months since my surgery but I can already feel my knee being so much tighter and I can start relying on it again. If you dont hav something done your knee will never be nearly as strong as before and it will also cause knee problems earlier than normal. I havn't had any post surgery problems and as long as you do the exercises they tell you to do (which isnt much) the knee will be fine. As for the braces, the surgeon should provide them and you dont have to worry about that, just be sure to ask so you know. The moral of the story is....get the surgery, the knee will thank you. If you hav any more questions, my email is in my profile.
Old    xtremebordgurl            02-26-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
Alright, I've taken the good advice of fellow wakeworlder's and I am getting the surgery when I go home in May, which the Doc says means I can't ride till October and he doesn't want me riding up until the surgery either, so looks like I'm outta commision for a while... we should start a knee injury club, everyone else who has gone thru this/is going thru it, what are you doing to replace wakeboarding? I'm finding that I have WAY too much free time here...
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-26-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
nothing can replace wakeboarding.

Mine was a shoulder so I did a lot of hiking. With a knee out you might have to take up something slower like pool for a while.
Old    jetgofish            02-26-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
Desginated Flag Bitch / Driver. I've been caught lifting 8 oz weights while flaging!! I'm also designated camera girl too!!!
Old    lindsayl            02-26-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
been there, done that, got the custom knee brace.

hang in there, it gets better.