Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-08-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
Original:Upload
100% cropUpload
ISO3200Upload
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-11-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your EOS-1 Mk3?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-11-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
$4499 at B&H.

What do you think? It puts out a nice file IMO. The images almost look better at 100% then resized which bodes well for cropping although I incorrectly called that a 100% crop above it's actually a bit less.

Unfortunately Aperture doesn't support mkIII RAW files yet so I'm using DPP to convert, a program which I'm not very familiar with. That ISO3200 shot is actually a little noisey and detail-less compared to what this cam can do with correct exposure settings I'm finding out (not that anyone is going to shoot in the dark anyhow).

Some of my other test shots here if you're interested.

http://www.pbase.com/rd4tile/canon_1dmkiii

(Message edited by richd on June 11, 2007)
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-11-2007, 10:44 PM Reply   
all good info. I'm seriously thinking of just getting this body instead of the EOS-1Ds MKII.

I heard a rumor that there was going to be a version of EOS-1D mk III that was the upgrade from the EOS-1Ds mk II.

Any truth to this? I also heard it was around 9k.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-12-2007, 6:27 AM Reply   
Predictions I'm reading are saying Aug-Sept announcement and 22mp.

I mentioned a while I like 10mp files and that the mkIII had all the features I want in a body. the fact that these files crop well is icing on the cake. I'd like it to be a bit smaller and lighter. but I forgot how nice having a vertical shutter release is. I'm also a 1.3X sensor fan, 17mm is plenty wide and still some help on the telephoto end. I wish the body was cheaper though.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
That 100% crop shot is amazing on the detail of the board that came out. The riders skin looks a little "waxy" but I'm sure that is more about the lighting then the camera. Still impressive.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-13-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
That's probably a side effect of my post processing which was done using DPP rather then Aperture (no support yet). From what I've read DPP is known to give skin a "plastic-ey" look.

These file as so different from the 5D and XTi, I play with the adjustments in DPP and crazy stuff happens.