Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
Should I be doing something different to go higher vs getting distance? I can go wake to wake without too much trouble out to 70ft rope length. However, I can only get minimal air, maybe a few feet. I can't figure out why I can't get more air.

Boat: 2005 Malibu VLX, stock 1250lbs ballast, wedge, usually 3-4 people in boat
board: 2004 Hyperlite TFD 142 (old 3DS)
Speed: 22mph
Me: athletic, 5'7", 175lbs
Old     (lumpy9138)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
Slow down your cut in, and stand tall at the wake.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
Maybe your relying too much on the wake. Are you bending your knees enough and standing tall at the wake?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-04-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
your set up is fine. Re-learn clearing the wake with a shorter cut like Chris is saying. You shold be able to get a good 6 feet of air under your board going wake to wake. Come into the wake nice and slow and focus on the POP.
Old    deltahoosier            06-04-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
Less speed and more edge. Edge will take you up. You may be riding your board flat at the wake and relying on early edge and speed to take you over. When you do that you are making the wake into a ramp. You need a late edge. Standing tall actually means go near straight legged (you never do anything in sports with straight legs or you risk injury) and ridged at the wake. You will go from a riding seated position to a upside down leaned back T. You are basically pushing into the wake while on edge. Basically take an upside down T and lean it it back away from the boat and that is how you should be at the wake.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
I'm sure lessons would be the best solution. Barring that, would a slower board help? Just wondering since the TFD is supposed to be a very fast board.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
I think I'm doing exactly what Rod said though I try to stay on edge.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-04-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
i also used to think i was staying on edge until i saw a video of my riding...terrible technique...flattening off right before i hit the transition...even though i was going so fast that it "felt" like the line was tight. and muscle memory can be a very good...or very bad...thing. so...try a set where you really concentrate on slowing down your cut and awareness of your edging. don't get lazy....but maybe shorten the rope until you know there is no way you'll case the other wake...then concentrate on clearing the wake with as little speed as possible. this may help you slow your cut when you do lengthen back out. good luck....
Old    deltahoosier            06-04-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Try and show the bottom of the board to the people in the boat.
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
i would try a 3-stage rocker or just stand tall at the wake