Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
How many people wear a helmet when wakeboarding, and what is your riding ability?

or to ask another way, who have had injuries that could have been prevented by a helmet?

I'm intermediate and am progressing each time out. But the crashes are getting more painful and there have been times I've gotten back on the boat and couldn't stand up because I smacked my head so hard. Times like those are when I tell myself "I should really start wearing a helmet". And I'm not gettin any younger either...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-27-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
When your learning new tricks it is a good idea. My son knocked himself out a couple of years ago learning a new invert, split his helmet in half. It could have been ugly if he didn't have one on. My 2 cents.......
Old     (md5150)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
Wore a helmet for the first time ever yesterday and will not get in the water again WITHOUT one. It made my really gnarly wipeouts manageable and gave me the ability to keep boarding. If I hadn't been wearing one, my day would have been over too early. FYI, I'm an intermediate rider and 35 years old. No sense in scrambling the grey matter at this point...
Old    alanp            05-28-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
been wearing a helmet for about 4 years. just plain stupid not to wear one. i caught an edge on a ts 3 the other day and im sure if i hadnt had the helmet on i would have gotten a concussion.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-28-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
I hated my helmet at first but now I love it and I don't ride without it. I found it also helped keep the water out of my ears.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-28-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
I have worn one everytime I ride for the past 2 years....won't leave home without it!!! I am intermediate rider and firmly believe in them. It makes the crashes not hurt my head and I agree with MD: I can ride inspite of the crashes. Also, it makes me ride a little braver. Yes...get one and wear it.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-28-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
What helmet do you guys recommend? I'm looking at the Protec Ace Wake helmets, but will the cheaper Ace Water or CFC Water helmets do the job? Price really isn't an issue, I just don't want to overpay for something I don't need. Do you guys always wear the ear flaps?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-28-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
I have both the Protec Ace Wake and the shred ready www.shredready.com Both are comfortable. I am not sure how they compare to the ace water or CFC.

I wore the ear flaps before I got tubes in my ears but now I HAVE to wear ear plugs so I don't use the flaps. There is also a new helmet coming out any day now. Check it out at www.pulseheadquarters.com

I am glad to see more people interested in head protection. Hope this helps.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-28-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
Protec Ace Wake for me. I'm intermediate (who isn't?!) and regularly take big spills. The helmet helps big time, especially when I'm all out of shape and land on my back - it really takes the slap out of the back of the head.

I forgot to take it out last time and now have an ear infection which is miserable.

They aren't the best looking but then I remember saying this about bike helmets 10 yrs ago. Who doesn't wear one of those now?
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
Personally, I think the future of wakeboarding is helmets. It starts with the new generation of riders who are now wearing helmets because of their parents' influence. Soon enough it will be like bicycles...you can see it becoming standard on the snow too.

I really don't give a crap how a helmet looks. I'm not out there to put on a fashion show. Here's what stinks though...when you put on a helmet, people automatically assume you must be a pretty damn good rider and they expect to see some cool sh**. Hate to disappoint, but I'm only intermediate...or more accurately, I'm better than a beginner...I haven't earned the intermediate label. I've seen people do some pretty cool sh** and call themselves just "intermediate"

I'm going to buy and start wearing a helmet so I can prevent an injury that could screw up my day, week, or season. If all it does is allow me to ride an extra few sets this summer then I'll be more than satisfied.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-28-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
i couldnt agree more hopefully we few will lead the revolution and make t normal to be seen in a helmet..i just started wearing one,an ace wake thise season..im 36 and been riding 7 years with no major injuries but decided to try the helmet out anyway..

i thought what the hell if it inhibits my riding and it feels to weird or uncomfortable then im only out 50bucks but will have a helmet to hit and occasional slider/kicker or the cable park..

it turns out that it doesnt evn bother m at all and it hasnt effected my riding at all..i havent taken a major whip type fall yet to really see if it works better or not but it seems to help some on normal falls..

F what people think im wearing mine loud and proud.better to be safe and living then cool and dead ..

btw i am an intermediate to advance rider with a handful of inverts,3 consisitent...Upload
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-28-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
"btw i am an intermediate to advance rider with a handful of inverts,"

Well in that case I'll reverse my earlier comment, I guess I must be a beginner.

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-28-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
heres a few more helmet shots

SLAPAHO

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-29-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Peter...I will reverse mine too....I can't even get up yet!!!!Upload
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-29-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Peter...I will reverse mine too....I can't even get up yet!!!!