Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-04-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
They are finally getting a cable park rolling here in San Diego, but we need the support of the locals to help make it happen. If you're in the area and you can make it, please come out to Jimmy's in Santee next Wednesday at 6:00 for a "Supporter's Meeting." They are handing out free ride passes to all who attend, so that's pretty cool.

Check out this link for more info: http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1371
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-04-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
YEA!!! THATS AWSOME!!!IM THERE!!! FInally. David who is backing up this project just out of curiosity?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       10-04-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
I'll be there!

-Steve
Old     (cie_ernst)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-04-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
David good to see some one else stoked about the possible cable park in Santee. I am graphic designer and i work in Santee. I have alot of buddies that are always on this site, so let me know what we can do to help. And i will try to make it to the meeting next Wednesday.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-04-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
I'll be there!!!
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-04-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
i live in the bay but man i think i will be visiting sandiego alot more in the winter
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-04-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
Thats cool, I'll tell my friends that live down there to head out. Looks like San Diego is going to be getting a few more visits than normal! This is so long overdue, and yet perfect that its actually happening.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-04-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
Oops, looks like they sent me the wrong meeting day. It's actually going to take place on Wednesday, 10/10. Sorry about that!!
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       10-04-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   

quote:

It's actually going to take place on Wednesday, 10/10.

I probably can't make it Wednesday!!

-Steve
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-05-2007, 12:03 AM Reply   
SWEET!!!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-05-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
I was just going to post and ask what the latest news was. That's great! I will be there!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-05-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
dtw, that was mean. No need to celebrate just because Steve won't be there! :-)
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-05-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
right on! now maybe wakeworlders give more recognition to cable riders after they try it and fall in love with it.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-05-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
There. How's the grub at Jimmy's anyway?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-05-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
Question:

As someone who's never ridden a cable, how are air tricks on the body? Sometimes I see people get let down pretty easy, then others seem to land hard.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-05-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
David Williams....taken completely out of context....but funny nonetheless.

STOKED for a cable park nearby. I can't make the meeting either, but would dearly love to.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-05-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
"As someone who's never ridden a cable, how are air tricks on the body? Sometimes I see people get let down pretty easy, then others seem to land hard."

IMO, easier than behind the boat wrt softer landings.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-05-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
Just being a smartass as I'm sworn to do by my oath! :-)
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-05-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Stoked is all I can say!!
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-05-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Oh glorious day!

I might be able to make it there on wednesday. Does anyone from the I.E. want to carpool? I live in Yucaipa.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-05-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
Hey David,

Why isn't there an article on the home page? This is BIG news!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-05-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
It's the first item under the Latest In Wake.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-05-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
David Williams....better than being a dumb ass as I always say

Sean....I'd love to carpool but just can't make it that day...but more importantly....why haven't we ridden together yet...I'm in the Palm Springs area?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       10-05-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
Maybe I'll go just to piss off dtw!

-Steve
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-05-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Yes please. nothing would piss me off more.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-05-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Try to make it Steve. Piss me off too! j/k

Time for more beer pong after the meeting?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       10-05-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
Well, I've got a hockey game wednesday night, which is why I may not be able to make it. It's later though, so I figured I may be able to squeeze both in, but beer pong after the meeting is unlikely. HOWEVER I might be able to be talked in to beer pong prior to the meeting.

-Steve
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-05-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
I can work that out!
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-06-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
dtw,

Beats me bro. Looks like we have been on WakeWorld about the same amount of time so I'm surprised we have not crossed paths. I'm always down for meeting new people and riding.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-06-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
dtw, you've seen sean...in movies like "exit wounds," "under seige," and "hard to kill."

hi sean! ;)
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-06-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
You're killing me Joe! Didn't I see your picture recently in a post.

How are things? Are you still a slut or has Epic kicked down a demo? Speaking of demos... I'm in the market for a new boat.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-06-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
Oh ya, here it is.Upload
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-07-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
Somehow missed this news earlier but learned of it today from Buzz. Count me in for Wednesday!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-08-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
of course we'll be there, hopefully the wakeboat dealers show some interest as well
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-09-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Are we going to get any local CLWC pro's showing up to support this effort?
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-09-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
Are we going to get any local CLWC pro's showing up to support this effort?

Yeah i'm going to try and make it out....
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-09-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
That's rad that you're going to take the time off of training to show up. You're officially my favorite pro!! :-)
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-09-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
A future Santee cable park may be our only SD County wakeboarding option if we don't activate.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/509765.html?1191960401
Old     (bsvacina)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
Buzz,I'm in for the beer pong before the meeting for sure!Give me a call when you get this,I have been trying to reach you all day!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
maybe we can get dallas friday to come out and endorse the park.
Old     (chris_williams)      Join Date: May 2007       10-09-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
lol joe
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
hey chris, she's in town.
Old     (chris_williams)      Join Date: May 2007       10-09-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
thats perrys x!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-10-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
bump bump

lets see who the real supporters of the sport are, if you want to ride the cable for free when it opens you need to show up tonight and express your interest.

I'll know 40 or more who will have season passes to this place.

NOW SHOW AND SUPPORT THIS THING!

Yea that would be Perrys mistake huh? CDUB get down here and represent.

Get her out there Umali!

(Message edited by slipknot on October 10, 2007)
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-10-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
See you guys in a few hours. Chino and I are there!
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       10-10-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
Megan and I will be there.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
Steve and I will be there too!

-Steve
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-10-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
Couldn't make due to child care issue. Please don't flame...

How was it? Is it going to become a reality? I would be one of those season pass holders.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-10-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
FLAKE!

looks like it's going to happen. but, it won't without our help with the city council, etc. so at town meetings (or wherever they meet), we need to show to let them know that this is a good thing, and that the city could only benefit from it.

by the way, things are going well for me, thanks for asking! are you heading to elsi for the canyon lake tourney this sat?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-11-2007, 4:51 AM Reply   
Thats why there are only 5 cable parks in our great nation right now. You have to go through so much bs, get an ok from everyone and there sister, and a brazillion permits. There are 52 cable parks in Germany which is half the size of Texas.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-11-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
Can I ask a few questions? Who is the developer for this project? Once built, who will be owner? Manager?

Thx.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-11-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Great turn out last night, although I can think of a ton of regulars on here who were not there. The biggest factor in all of this is having enough support from the community, etc. We signed up to staff the community info booth that are happening all over Santee this weekend, but I know there are a bunch of spots still available, and they really do need the help spreading the word. If you have some free time this weekend and can help in one of the info booths, please do. Free park passes too!

Great to see everyone last night.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-11-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Sorry Jeff. The time for questions was at the meeting. Maybe you can make the next one!

Sudweeks Development is the developer and I believe they will "own" it when they are done. The lake itself is controlled by the Padre Water District (I think), so they will lease the property to Sudweeks. I believe there will be an initial lease term of 30 years.

They plan to do restaurants and things like that, so I don't know if that's something that they'll sublease to other companies or what.

As far as management on an ongoing basis, I'm not sure. I think John Clemmons might have something to do with it, but that may just be for the initial stages.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-11-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060913/news_7m13skipark.html
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-11-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
Thx for the info. Hope you guys get a cable park.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-11-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
Please read this if you would like to help out. It was just sent out by Elizabeth Rouse of Sudweeks Development and they need help manning the information booths this weekend...

Thanks to all who attended the Supporters Meeting for the proposed Santee Lakes Cable Park last night at Jimmy's Restaurant! We had a great turn out and gave away over 60 free ride passes! Please don't let your support end here! If this cable park is to be approved, we need to inform the community, the PDMWD board members and the Santee City Council that this is a much needed amenity in the San Diego County.

There are several ways to support the Santee Lakes Cable Park!

-Go to www.santeelakes.com, click under cable park and send a support letter. Ask your friends and family to do the same.
-If you are a PDMWD customer, fill out the Resident Survey in your mailbox next week and tell all your friends and neighbors to do the same.
-Volunteer your time! Help pass out fliers and spread the word about Santee Lakes Cable Park. This weekend we have 5 campaign booths set up
around the City of Santee and need YOU to help! If you give 2 hours of your time, you will receive a FREE 7-Day ride pass for you and a friend!!

Contact me at info@santeelakescablepark.com for availabilities and locations!

If you are involved in an organization that would like more information on Santee Lakes Cable Park, please feel free to contact me.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-11-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
OUCH! Was not aware of the tourney, might be able to get a hall pass.

As far as the cable park goes, I've sent a support letter and would like to help out this weekend.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       10-11-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
Sean you should pick up your new X1 on the way to the event!Upload
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-11-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
I went on the Santee Lakes website today and submitted my comments in support of the Cable park and I got a response back from Allen Carlisle of the Padre Dam MWD. If we don't support this thing the opponents will win out. See my italics below:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the proposed Cable Ski Park at Santee Lakes. We think the proposed project will be a tremendous recreational opportunity for the children and families of Santee and the region. The cable park concept opens water sports to a completely new segment of the community… those that do not have access to or own a boat. It will provide school-aged children with a healthy after-school option.

The park will also generate sales tax revenue for the City and provide dollars for improvements to Santee Lakes. As you may know Padre Dam MWD owns and operates Santee Lakes. It is a self-funded park and campground. Santee Lakes does not receive tax or rate payer subsidy and must generate revenue to maintain it’s self-sufficiency. The cable ski park will be another source of revenue that will enable the park to continue it’s financial success and independence.

I want to encourage you to visit our website at www.santeelakes.com and click the link to the “Proposed Cable Ski Park”. The site has information about the project including video, photo simulations, renderings and FAQ.

This project is close to being abandon due to a number of vocal opponents. They do not want to see the park built. If this project is to be successful, citizens will need to let there opinions be heard. There are several ways to do that:

complete the survey online if you already haven’t done so: www.santeelakes.com click on “Proposed Cable Ski Park”. Let us know we have your support.
email your Santee City Council at: boards@ci.santee.ca.us
Attend the public meetings and REQUEST TO SPEAK to voice your support.
SEND THIS INFORMATION TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND ASK THEM TO SUPPORT THE PROJECT BY DOING THE ABOVE.

Santee Lakes has a 40 year history of service to our community. The Cable Ski Park will provide another beneficial recreation activity for children and families.

Thank you again for your interest.

Best Regards,

Allen Carlisle
Padre Dam MWD
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-11-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
I just submitted a comment on that form. Thanks for the link.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-12-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
Nice picture Gary-O! Don't I wish...

I too submitted the survey and got the same reply. I wrote a long letter/e-mail to the Santee City Council via boards@ci.santee.ca.us

Lets keep it up folks. How bad do you want this project to succeed?

I am going to volunteer some time at a booth this weekend as well.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-12-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
Sean,

Stop by and say Hi! We will be at the Wal Mart booth Sat from 10-2.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-13-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I might be at the trolley square booth on Mission Gorge, but where is the WalMart booth? Which one is closer to Jack Murphy stadium or easier to get to the stadium from?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-13-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
The one at Trolley square. Just get on the trolley there, and take it to the stadium. Much easier than driving.

Trolley Square and Wal Mart are only about 1/2 mile apart.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-17-2007, 4:58 AM Reply   
ummmm....bump. If I were you SD folks I'd try to organize a small army to get that park going.

This project is close to being abandon due to a number of vocal opponents. They do not want to see the park built. If this project is to be successful, citizens will need to let there opinions be heard. There are several ways to do that:

complete the survey online if you already haven’t done so: www.santeelakes.com click on “Proposed Cable Ski Park”. Let us know we have your support.
email your Santee City Council at: boards@ci.santee.ca.us
Attend the public meetings and REQUEST TO SPEAK to voice your support.
SEND THIS INFORMATION TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND ASK THEM TO SUPPORT THE PROJECT BY DOING THE ABOVE.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-17-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
I had a blast working at the campaign booth a few days ago. We talked to a ton of local Santee people, and only had a few (3-4) that were against it. I was surprised at the response. I am planning to help out at other booths in the next couple weeks. The vote before the water board is in November. I will be there for that too!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-17-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
Love to see a cable park and doing my part.

More help on the San.V. San Diego Water Contact Recreation Program would be awesome guys.

Santee City Council,

While I live in Poway and work in San Diego, I am writing in support of the proposed Santee Cable Park. I believe that the opinions of voters outside the city of Santee should be considered because such an amenity would draw from a county-wide or regional area much like the water park in Chula Vista or Wave in Vista.

San Diego county needs more clean, kid and family activities like the proposed cable park. It’s athletic, water oriented and fun. The park would characterize Santee as pro active, progressive and provide wide recognition in Southern California as there are only 6 such parks in the US and none within a day’s car drive of Southern California.

There will always be nay-sayers that want no changes and status quo only. Giving in to that would have left Santee without the terrific Town Center area and the revitalization that it’s provided. Here’s to a continuation of efforts to make Santee a fun, progressive and vital part of the San Diego region.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-25-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
Any updates on this thread??