Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-27-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
I know some folks here have done Paleo diets, which I guess is similar in principle.
I came across this guy's blog last night and it's quite an interesting concept.

I've always been of the "more frequent small meals" mantra, but when you dig into this, it really sounds more like how our bodies were designed to work.
For those not familiar, the basic concept is you periodically go 16-24 (or in some cases longer) on a fast. meaning, no calories. Just water/tea/black coffee.

from his blog:

"There is an increasing amount of studies being done on fasting. The results are starting to compile and short-term intermittent fasting has been found to have the following health and fitness benefits:
• Decreased body fat & body weight
• Maintenance of skeletal muscle mass (you won't lose muscle: bodybuilding gym-bros claims=false)
• Decreased blood glucose levels
• Decreased insulin levels & increased insulin sensitivity
• Increased lipolysis & fat oxidation (which leads to ABS )
• Increased Uncoupling Protein 3 mRNA
• Increased norepinephrine & epinephrine levels (more energy and 'awakeness')
• Increased Glucagon levels
• Increased growth hormone levels"

Basically what he does is he fasts from 9pm until after his next day workout around noon. This gives him 16 hrs of fasting and his biggest meal is right after workout. It also means he's working out in a fasted state, but says he actually performs better. He's been doing it for well over a year now.

I'm gonna try it. I've hit a plateau on my fat loss and have a pudge and love handles that are stubbornly hanging on... I'm gaining strength and muscle still, but the fat loss has stopped.

any thoughts?