Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (waterlog)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
My son and I are pretty green at wakeboarding. We love it though. We have been riding a LF Omega with a 20.5 Rinker Captiva, going about 15-18 MPH and about 30'-35' of rope. I have seen a lot on here about 60'-75' of rope. What are the pros (if any) and cons of this shorter length we've been riding? We haven't landed a lot of jumps. I'm an ol' snowboard vet, and I feel I should be doing a fuzz better than I'm doing, but I know I'm new and this ain't snowboarding.

(Message edited by waterlog on August 17, 2006)
Old    kevo_3wg            08-17-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
you should probably ride like a 60 foot line and try having your speed at like 20 or 21 mph}}
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-17-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
55' is about the min you want to ride, average is around 70'-80' and some but few ride at 90'.

18-23mph depending on the boat to make the wake a nice shape and not washy.

and if you havent already a nice wakeboard specific non stretch rope and handle will be nice.
Old     (tsteeb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
what kevin said
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-18-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
what kevin said, added in more detail to what chase said. Basically speed the boat up to see how big the wake can get the furthest back, let the rope out to that point and start riding.
Old     (waterlog)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I'll play around with it. Do you think it's harder to ride the shorter rope? I guess I'm asking if that is why we are having troubles landing jumps, or prolly cause we're rooks? :-)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
Yes it's harder, the wake isn't shaped properly at 30-35'. Get a nice spectra line (the shoestring rope) It'll set you back about $80-90. For wakeboarding you *DON'T* want anything else. Also, 60-80' is measured from the tower, so if you're pulling from the transom, take ~10' off that length. A 60' length of spectra might be too long for a beginer if you're pulling from the transom.

http://www.bulletlines.com/servlet/the-30/spectra-wakeboard-rope%2C-wakeboard/Detail <- this is a really good price.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-18-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
also at 30-35 feet your getting alot of turbulence in the water from the boat and prop. and space you have to cut out and ride around is very limited. riding a bit longer like maybe 55-60 feet will give you more time to cut and prepare to jump.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-18-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
First off, the speed of the boat determines the shape of the wake. Getting your speed up, to 18 -24 mph, will allow the boat to plain and will clean up your wake making it not so washed out. Second, your line length at that speed will determine how far you travel while in the air. If you're novice, a 60' line will allow you to learn the basics of leaving the wake and landing on the down slope. As you advance and get more aggressive, you will naturally lengthen the rope, allowing you to have more time in the air for all those sick grabs and inverts! Good luck!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
Steven,
Should your boat speed be a factor in your "air time"? I'm riding 65ft out at 21mph. I want to get more time in the air, should I lengthen the rope AND push my mph (if the wake is still good?)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-18-2006, 11:14 PM Reply   
Ronia,

Lengthening the rope will give you more hangtime, as it creates a lot more room for movement (the pendulum can swing further). If you want more time, lengthen the rope, but the side effect is that you have to speed up, as the wake will only stop washing at higher speeds. Also, the wake will be smaller the faster you go. If you are doing 65 right now @ 21, try 70 @ 23, it might do you a lot of good. I recently went from 70 @ 22.7 to 80 @ 24, and it makes a world of difference. I have so much hang time that I feel like lyman. But I don't look like em!!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-20-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
Thanks Garret ... I'll try to lengthen and if the wake is washed, then I'll bump the speed as well.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-20-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
the wake will be smaller the faster you go but it will also be harder. this will end up giving you more pop than a bigger softer wake
Old     (waterlog)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
O.k. I lengthened the rope and bumped the speed up to 20- 25 mph and trimmed up to 1/4. Nice wake I noticed my air was a little higher in the air and I definatly flew farther. I got to take a buddy out that hasn't been with me yet and he was skyin', did some sweet grabs and almost landed two flips. I'm stoked.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-22-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
Ronia, Garret's right on the money. I'd try 70 at 23 Mph. Let us now how it works out.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-22-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Yikes, I'll try it but it sounds so much more faster and scarier.... I guess I'll just get use to it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-22-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
It's 2 MPH more! Sack up!