Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (ruffneckrider)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
I am looking into getting a camcorder to video our sets and try to make some vids/ of the crew for fun! My qustions is : What camera formats work best for this DVD, MiniDV, Digital camcorders ect. And what brands should I be looking at. I plan on useing my laptop to make videos.

Thanks!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
minidv

panasonic
canon
sony
Old     (ruffneckrider)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
I knew I could count on Joe U. Thank you!
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-12-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
High Definition Sony...great picture..
Old     (ruffneckrider)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
High def/ cool thanks Matt!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
if you're going to go high def, stay away from sony and go with true high def....panasonic hvx200. otherwise, don't waste your money. if it's simply for web vids, just go w/ a minidv. you can't post high def footage on the web. also, as far as i know, high def dvd players aren't out....yet.

(Message edited by dakid on February 12, 2006)
Old     (ruffneckrider)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Well, That's good to know Is one brand better then the other? and I'm looking @ spending no more than 499.00 on a unit! Any thing else I should be aware of!
thanks
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-12-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
I've had really good luck with my Panasonic pv-gs120, which has since been replaced by the pv-gs150. It is a 3CCD camera which means the color is very good, and mine has stood up well to a lot of abuse. This video was all done with the gs-120, so you can see what you think. Of course this is very compressed, but it still shows the color representation very well.
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=12217&cat=508
Old     (ruffneckrider)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
Joe: thanks for the heads up!
Nick: cool vid and sick riding! I'm looking @ the Panasonic ( PV-GS 250) It's A little more than I need and more $$ but I think I can get it for an o.k. price! I am also looking @ the Sony (dcr-hc 32)for now!
P.S. Any softwear or programs I should be looking into to make videos

Thanks.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
if you don't mind shelling out the cash, i'd look into getting the adobe production studio. i went to the adobe conference a few days ago. the new adobe stuff is really impressive!
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-12-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
Joe,

"you can't post high def footage on the web. "

Just gotta differ with you on that one! Check here:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/

Those are a whole bunch of QuickTime HD clips on the web, in 720p and 1080p. So yes, you can...but they take a while to download.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
true, but 99.9% of people on wakeworld just aren't making hd wake vids for the web.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
oh, and 99.9% of ww doesn't have half the equipment necessary to capture, edit and export hd footage.
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
Sony makes great waterproof housings for their cameras. Other brands may also but I think that is something to look into. You will get bored with the boat point of view shots over and over. My sony waterproof setup lets me use the LCD screen, power on and off, record, stop and zoom with external controls.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-12-2006, 11:28 PM Reply   
If you look at most TV cameras they are Panasonic. Personally I have a Canon and an old Sony. I recently picked up a computer hot enough to edit video too.

The waterproof housings for cameras both still and video are fun. I have one for my little digital camera, and have taken it down pretty deep without flooding so far. It is rated to 130 ft, but I will just make sure to never go below 80 ft or so with it.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-13-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
The waterproof housings are more for diving, snorkling, etc. I wouldn't shell out the cash for that sort of thing when you can just put a zip lock freezer bag around the camera and keep any water off. We have a JVC MiniDV we bought at Sears three years ago for $200 (a STEAL at the time) and it works just fine duct taped to the pylon with a zip lock around the camera.

I've used the camcorders that go straight to DVD for other things but I wouldn't use those for this sort of thing. You have to "close" each disc before other players can read them. You're going to end up wasting a lot of space on those DVDs if you're looking to put them on computer after each time you go out. Of course DVDs are pretty cheap now so that might not bother you so much.

It is important to note that I don't ever transfer video to computer so if MiniDV has any downsides there, I don't know about them.

If you're just looking to film for fun, I'd go the cheap route and spend the money you don't spend on the hi-def stuff on wakeboarding accessories (or maybe some nice video editing software).
Old    alanp            02-13-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
i own the gs 250 its a great cam.
Old     (needwake)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-13-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
I have the sony drc hc42. I think that it is a newer model of the 32? Anyway I think that it is excellent for point and shoot. My wife can even figure it out. very cool with the touch screen controls. I have yet to use the computer software that comes with it but my father-in-law says that it is not something that you would use if you want to do any real editing. Just make sure you have firewire for downloading (usb is way to time consuming). I just record all my mini-dvs to dvd on my sony dvd recorder. -very easy and you can put chapter breaks in and add titles. Hope this helps.