Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-22-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
Finally got the stereo install wrapped up on the '01 SAN (I'll post some pics soon). Now I have to install the iPod and adjust the amps. I have a Fosgate 800/4 running the Boss 530's and 60's on the tower and a Fosgate 400/4 running the 4 6.5's in the boat, and a 600/1 for the JL sub. Do you guys run your tower and boat speakers at HIGH PASS, OR ALL PASS? Any other advice on Freq or Gain adjustments would be greatly appreciated? Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old    vern            12-22-2004, 7:12 PM Reply   
Dude, for subs you need to be running an amp with a low pass crossover.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-22-2004, 7:16 PM Reply   
mike,

go to the jl web site - there is info on how to set the gain

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-23-2004, 6:16 AM Reply   
Mike,

Here is a great site that explains everything you'd ever need to know about car audio. I got tired of trying to filter everyone else's opinions, and decided to get knowledgeable on my own.
http://www.bcae1.com/
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-23-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
You will want to definitely use the high pass. your system will be a lot cleaner sounding.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-23-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
It depends upon what frequency your high pass filters are at. I would definitely high pass your boat speakers and experiment with your tower speakers.

Setting gains is pretty simple. Turn the gains all the way down on each amp. Now, crank up your head unit, with your favorite type of music playing, until you hear distortion. If you can crank it all the way without distortion, just leave it at max. Now turn up the gains on each amp until you hear distortion and then back off just a little. That's it.

It's important to remember that the gain on an amp is not a volume. They are simply put there to match the output of your deck. In other words, you want your amps to reach their max clean output when your head unit reaches it's max clean output. If you max the gains, the amp will reach it's max early resulting in distorted speakers and possible dammage to them.
Old    whitechocolate            12-23-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
Hey Cliff: I took a look around @ that website, you posted a link to. There is some good info there, I found several things on each page that I didnt agree with. But what the heck who the hell am I LOL. So if you use that place as a base to start any questions you have your way ahead of the game. I would take what he says and not take it as law but a good point to start.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-23-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
Grant,

For most of us, setting up a descent system is a huge pain in the a**.

I finally got so frustrated with everyone's opinions (here, audio stores, boat shops, and Wakeboarder.com ) that I decided to learn the basics my self.

It's not that people here don't try to help. Pheaton has given me tips from how his system was installed, and I tried to get a hold of you via e-mail. I wasn't sure if you got it or not and I didn't want to be a pest.

Sorry for the semi hijack, just speaking my mind.

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-23-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
cliff,

That is very useful, and appears reliable - Thanks! It looks like a good place for most amateurs like me to start.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on December 23, 2004)

(Message edited by talltigeguy on December 23, 2004)
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-23-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
Cliff-

Thanks for the site...it does become a challenge wading thru the opions/knowledge everybody has here. This site really is GREAT though, I've gotten sooo much good info-a lot of help! PS: anybody riding New Years Day at Berryessa?
Old    whitechocolate            12-23-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
Cliff: Im sorry if I didnt get back with you. I remember e-mailing back and forth about the NVS speakers and amp and Ipod stuff but I dont remember getting anymore questions from you sorry if it seemd like I was ingnoring you. I try to help as many people as I can, because I love audio stuff, especially locals with Nautiques, LOL

Yes its a good site for exactley what your talking about, Helping you get set up. Cliff How is your system now, What and how much bass do you have
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-23-2004, 10:53 PM Reply   
the site mentioned is very good.

here are some "general" settings.

gain- it is a good idea to set the gain with a voltage meter, there is a really good explanation on how do this at the jl site. i would suggest doing the sub amp first and then the satililtes.
you will move them around a little to for a coherant sound. the manufacture of the amps will have the volt specs for this.. this a little more involved but it will prolong the life of the amps and protect your speakers from being overdriven.

crossover- these are "general" settings.

satillites crossover - high setting set at 160 to 225 hertz. ( 160 for 6.5" and 200-225 for 5.25")the frequency above 160hz will go to the satilites

sub crossover- low setting set at 70-100 hz. start of at 80 hz (the frequencies below 80 hz will go to the sub)
infrasonic settinge on your sub amp- set it for 28-32 hz ( this will keep the lowest frequncies from your subs ( protects subs in ported enclosures and keeps the subs from draining the amp ( both ported and sealed)

Octave crossover settings ( these may or may not be on your non jl amps)

subs octave settings-
you have crossover adjustment for the octave crossover db in 12db & 24db setting on the jl( the larger the number the steeper the crossover the harder it hits) i would start off with 24db and then try 12db

input gain on the jl sub amp - set for "low"

satillite octave settings- would suggest 12db or 24db for the satilites.

i would not suggest messing around with the other settings on the jl sub amp (the q or the bass boost setting)

(Message edited by clubmyke on December 23, 2004)