Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
Jeff,

After you finish building the sub 4 footer, let’s have another board building contest. The biggest wakesurf board ever. The boards will be tested here in Columbus, Ohio on Griggs Reservoir. Now keep in mind that we have a boat length limit, but there is no published surf board size limit.

Upload
Old    surfdad            02-18-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
LOL - Biggest board that you can get to the lake! :-) I saw a thread over at swaylocks - Bert Berger and Nev were involved...they had like 50 people surfing it...well surfing it - they towed it in with a PWC and stood up :-)

Ok, so...we've surfed a 10'2". The board above looks to be 30' long or so.

We need more parameters...longest, widest with most people (adult'ish - I use that term loosely so that you and I aren't kept OUT :-) ) simultanesoulsy that can be actually surfed behind the boat?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-18-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
How about total weight carried rather than number of people. If it's number of people I would get left out. I think we can get the whole Walker family on my 10'2" 25" wide 4+" thick Infinity surfboard. What do you think Jeff? Might have to give it a go sometime.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
Darn my typo in the title!

So let's say you have a 12 foot flat bottom boat and drop a fin on it. Could you surf it?

How big could you go? At some point you’d make a board so big that the weight of one person wouldn’t be enough to steer it.

Let’s take a 30 foot board as an example. You’d have to have an acceptable wake at least 31 feet back. At the ocean beginners learn to ride in the mush. I expect a big board would do OK in the mush.

At some point there’s too much drag for the force, or is that really a limit if the board was brought on plane with a tow rope?

If you put a tow eye in the front of the board you could bring it on plan easily.

I’ve seen two people on a wakesurfer at once, not more.

Once built, tested, and proven where would you keep a monstrosity like a 30 foot board? It would be awesome to build one here in Columbus and make a large exhibit out of it in the down town area. I wonder if something like that could become one of those oddity tourist attractions like the Longaberger Basket Building?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-18-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
Ed,
Do you ever proofread your posts? LOL
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-18-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
These guys are wakesurfing using a standup paddleboard......
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-18-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
Doh..... forgot the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kig3UnDaCbk&feature=related
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Well, at least you didn't gaffe the title of a thread.
Old    surfdad            02-18-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Oh! I thought this was a bosard contect - what are we talking about? I was READY! :-) I'm the KING of bosards.

Ok...let's get the basic concept down...we want it to be built, right? Foam and glass or balsa and cardboard and glass but not a prefabbed boat.

I say let's try and raise awareness for wakesurfing. Biggest board contest see if we can generate some money for cancer or a favorite charity.

The build and ride it behind a boat.

Fit wit your plan?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
OK, OK, OK, I'm an engineer because language is not my strong suit!!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
So after my gaffe, I’m not sure what is serious and what’s not. I might not be alone.

I think it might be possible to make a jumbo wakesurfer that had a purpose, a social purpose. Think of the message space that you’d have on a jumbo board. You could carry a big charity message like a pink themed board. There would be tons of space for charity sponsor logos.

There would be plenty of challenges. It would take a team. The shear volume of materials would be expensive. The build team would need a large space to work. It wouldn’t hurt to ask what the other jumbo board builders did, how they did it, and how long it took.

I wonder where you’d start. Maybe by contacting the ACS? The organization that I work for has a charitable and social identity. They’d have contacts with other’s that have charitable tendencies.
Old    surfdad            02-18-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
Dennis is right - we need it to be most amount of weight - if he doesn't get to ride it, I'll never be able to talk him in to bring his flatbed down.

So...longest, widest board with the GREATEST amount of weight being surfed - not towed, behind a boat. I would think it will have to be towed in.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-18-2008, 8:48 PM Reply   
That sounds about right - longest, widest, and supporting the greatest rider weight. We’d have to pin down formal rules.

I think you’re right; you'd need a second boat to tow the board in to the wake. Griggs might be too narrow. A good venue to run show off jumbo boards might be the Dayton Hydro Bowl. They routinely bring in cranes to launch hydroplanes.

You might say that you have an obvious advantage since there are more surfboard shapers on the coast. However, we don’t get much exercise in the winter so we might have a weight advantage.

(Message edited by Bigshow on February 18, 2008)
Old    surfdad            02-19-2008, 4:35 AM Reply   
LOL! Ed you're funny...I'll just start looking for shapers with a TON of experience making 50 foot boards. I'm sure that being on the West coast will make that inquiry a cinch! :-)

So this is what we want to build, right?

Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-19-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
We're all corn fed out this way.

Ya, that's what we want to do.
Old    surfdad            02-19-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Ok let's see...nose rocker of 8'6". :-) Single concave large enough for a small dog to pass thru.

When we surfed the door, it was VERY hard to control it. The width of the board and angular edges caused the board to turn away from the wake. I can imagine that a HUGE board will have the same tendency.

I should be more disturbed by the fact that I have a working knowledge of the peculiarities of surfing a DOOR and how that translates into a 25 foot board.

Upload