Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-27-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
“Recycle This!!” is complete, or at least finished enough. “Recycle This!!” is a surf board that I made from left over surfboard card board shipping boxes, Kroger’s shopping bags, and epoxy resin.

The finish on “Recycle This!!” is rough in places, especially along the sides of the board. Most of the irregularities stem from seams from wrapping the shopping bag skin over the cardboard core. During construction the board fell and the nose broke off; I grafted a new nose on the board. There are some irregularities near where the new nose was grafted. In some places the shopping bag seams and other parts of the shopping bag skin didn’t adhere to the card board core. I had cut off those parts of the skin and replace them with patches.

I glossed over some irregularities with epoxy, a lot of epoxy. That was expensive, time consuming and made the board quite heavy. I think a board carved from solid oak might be lighter.

This was an interesting way to spend part of my off season. My wife will be able to use the garage again, I won’t make tons of dust, and the garage won’t smell like resin any more, the whole family will no doubt be very happy.

One of the original goals was to build a board for under $10, I totally blew that budget, well over $100, most of cost was resin. If you want a good board buy one of the many quality boards out there, the Walker F-18 is pretty amazing. If you want to learn a little about surfboards, want to learn about building them, or like to tinker then this might be a project for you. I have some other ideas for building boards but I think they can wait for next year.

The finishing table
Upload

A couple of patches, the white patches is a micro-balloon filler mixture.
Upload
Upload

The white vertical line is from sanding through the paper
Upload

Here you can see where I sanded through the paper on the bottom of the board. The wrinkles over micro-balloon epoxy filler made an interesting pattern.
Upload

Here's "Recycle This!!" and The Walker F-18
Upload

Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       12-28-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
Ed,
Very nice. Al of this surfboard making has given me the bug to build a new board. Thanks to your efforts.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-28-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
Here's a slide show of the build.

http://www.wakesurf.net/media/showphoto.php/photo/259/cat/519
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-29-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Awesome!!!
I wonder if Recyle this is heavier than original Walker board?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-29-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
Statistics

Recycle This!!
.. Length 64 inches
.. Width 21 inches
.. Rocker 4 1/2 inches
.. Weight 23.5 pounds

Walker F-18
.. Length 56 inches
.. Width 21 inches
.. Rocker 4 1/2 inches (More than the standard F-18)
.. Weight 6 pounds

Recycle This!! is four times heavier!!

So I'm way, way heavier than the F-18. I learned a few things and would make improvements if I were to take on a second build. I probably cut stringers to shape to begin with. I'd also cut full width cross stringers rather than spacers. The shopping bag skin is ok, but wrinkled at the edges which was a problem. I bet I could get the weight down to 12 pounds, maybe next year.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-04-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Minus the VOC's, the tree huggers around here would love you...

Great build description and pics......
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-08-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
Recycle This!!
.. Weight 23.5 pounds

Walker F-18
.. Weight 6 pounds

Ouch that sooo heavy
anyway I love this project, dont stop