Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
The Red Tide rolled in today. Just got the new board in time to try before the big summer family reunion. I’ll take her out tomorrow and see how she rides, then on up to Lake James near Angola, Indiana. Should be a good board for all of my nieces to learn on.

In the Box
Upload
Half way out
Upload
Kelly posing with the Red Tide - She's shy
Upload
Man that's a big board
Upload
Old     (nitro909)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-12-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
Ya, I just got a Yellow Loogy on Monday. Im heading out to Lake Mead this Sat for a week. Cant wait to try it out.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-12-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
Ben, I love the yellow. It can be a little squirley and easy to bury the nose at first, but once you get used to it, it's a blast. Ride with your front foot close to the wave side of the board...
Old     (nitro909)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-12-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Thanks Bryan, Ill give that a shot. I was riding my friends Blue Lake the first time I surfed. Its awesome, but that board felt a little too long, so I went with the Yellow--Cant wait for the weekend!
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-12-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
We just got the yellow as well. First ride I was the only one who liked it. They say give every board three trys before making a decision. I now love the yellow and so does my husband. I was able to ride up and down the wake now problem and I saved it from about 15ft back.

Have fun
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
I got the new board out tonight. The difference between my three boards, A Broadcast 5.6, Trick Boardz Mojo and The Red Tide is pretty huge.

My first to rides were pretty short, both times when I got close and was ready to throw the rope in the boat I buried the nose and the ride ended. My learning curve isn't completely flat, on the third try I stayed further back. It's definitely a bigger and slower turning board. I do like the checker board rubber foot padding.

I started riding at 10 mph. After I got the feel of the board I asked the driver to increase the speed, ending up at 14 mph! At high speed the board was a lot more fun for me.

The smaller of our two goofy riders had no trouble riding and thought the board was very stable. Our big guy has a goofy stance. While riding the regular-port wake heelside he was able to get the line to go slack. One the starboard-goofy side he didn't have very good success. We'll have to get him out more and see if he just needs more board time.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
We had more than the rub rail in the water we had Centuriion in the water
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
Hey ed is that wake on your boat with surf switch. Because if that is the wake is absolutely amazing. And your red tide will work great for people to learn on.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
Jeff, the wake was pretty good tonight. I think the goofy wake looks better than it really is. Tonight with the Red Tide we were running goofy side surfers at 8.5 mph to 9.5 mph. On the regular side I was surfing from 10 mph to 14 mph. That speed difference is huge, at higher speeds the height of the wake shrinks, so comparing the goofy and regular wakes shown could be misleading.

The shutter speed on the picture where Kory is wearing a cowboy hat must be a little slow, but the picture looks great.

Tonight I think the difference was that we had more people ballast than normal, we had the boat leaning pretty hard, but no surf switch. It was rainy today so Griggs was pretty much our own. If the lake was busy other wakes would probably have washed over the gunnels.

The wake should be better with the switch in play. When installed it looks like it will help make the goofy wake reach regular wake performance. Right now I'm just too busy to get the next version of the prototype together. I'll have more time to work on it after the Scioto Wakefest.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
Oh... that's James - I'm Not used to seeing the young one posting.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-12-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
Good stuff Ed. Looks like you guys are having fun. Nice pics. Wave does look bigger tonight...
Old    surfdad            07-13-2006, 5:05 AM Reply   
Yeah, James is posting now. Watching him drive that Epic 23V,yesterday and I was wondering when he grew up so much! :-)

Hey Ed, tell me something about your Lightning. Is the aft part of the hull pretty angular? Do the sides go vertical (isn't that called dead rise?) and are the corners where the sides meet the transom pretty sharp?
Old     (goodfoot00)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
The wave does look great. The red tide is fun to ride, and very fast! I'm curious, why is riding faster more fun? Is it just because the wave gets longer? I'm kinda partial to the taller waves.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-16-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
The Lightning hull shape is very busy. Below is a picture of the Lightning from the transom. The hull shape at around the driver station (where the model logo is) is vertical and then angles out sharply. Like the attached sketch.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-26-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
Our big guy was free riding today, making steady improvement on the Red Tide. After making progress free riding the Red Tide he was also able to free ride my Mojo XL.
Old    surfdad            07-27-2006, 4:04 AM Reply   
Yeah, that's pretty common for folks, after you become proficient on a larger board you're able to size down considerably.