Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-02-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
This season I've been working on both regular and goofy wakes. This video was from late June, one of the best looking goofy (darkside) riding wakes I've been able to build behind my boat. The rider falls back a few times pretty far and recovers by leaning alone - no pumping. My boat has a hull extension which makes what I¡¦ve been calling a middle feature in the wake. The feature is still there but is somewhat reduced. So how does this wake look to the rest of the experienced WW surfers? The configuration for this ride was:
..Speed was 11 mph
..Starboard locker 750 lbs
..Port locker 0 pounds
..Behind the driver 2 other crew and 130 pounds
..Tower 180 lbs starboard side
..Bow 180 pounds port
..Center tank 230 pounds
..Trim tab 100% down
.. Special sauce:-)

http://www.wakesurf.net/media/showphoto.php/photo/196/cat/515
Old    surfdad            07-03-2006, 5:00 AM Reply   
Ed, that is a decent looking darkside :-) wake - what is our scale for rating - 1 to 10? It's a solid 7 in my book. I have tried to study something on that wake, the "feature" seems to have an impact on the rider, like a false barrier, most of the turns are up TO but not across the feature. At least one turn back down into the pocket seemed to have more speed as the rider crossed back down into the smoother water of the face below the feature. I found it interesting that the rider fell not from burying the nose, but by burying the outside rail. If they were to ride further up the face (closer to the feature/barrier) that outside rail burying would diminish. So many psychological issues associated with riding the darkside. :-) Anyone know of a cartoon showing Darth Vader surfing? :-)

(Message edited by surfdad on July 03, 2006)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-03-2006, 6:57 AM Reply   
Jeff on the fall... we've found that on the Mojo that we need to have a lot of foot pressure on the inside edge (the edge in the wake) of the board. Notice the riders toes are nearly on the edge of the board. The rider didn't keep enough pressure on the inside edge so the outside dug in and sank.

I had the Surf Switch installed on that run at a low setting. I don't have comparable video of the goofy wake without the Surf Switch installed. Take you're 7, I'd day without the Switch it's more like a 4 or 5.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-03-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
I think your goofy wake is about a 6, and the feature is a 2.

What is the Surf Switch?
Old    surfdad            07-03-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
Ed, typically in order to speed a board up, you shift weight forward and also, shifting to the inside rail will add speed. I would think that rotational moves would prove to be impossible for you then, as after 180 you'll have pressure on the outside edge. Which negates one of the largest features of the Trick Boardz design. Have you folks tried a larger board? (besides the HL 5'6") I'm wondering what a glass and foam board would be like on that wake?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-03-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
Jeff, I'm toying with the idea of buying an Inland Surfer Red Tide. I have a family reunion in Indiana soon and I’m thinking that a red would be easier for my nieces to learn on, see the profile picture – those are my nieces and my daughter and resort in the background. My family has been going there since the 1930s.

Right I've tried a few rotational moves on the Mojo, the heel side of the board dives pretty quickly. So I guess I need to work on my stance so rotational move would be possible.

Trace, this year I’ve been running a bunch of boat setup experiments. I've come up with some hardware that looks like it has a positive impact on surfing wakes. I've made one set of proof of concept hardware and I’ve run one formal test and one informal test (these pictures are the result of the informal test.) I'm currently documenting the results and I'm working up a second generation version of the hardware. I really can’t say much more until I get more formal records of what I’m doing. I am posting a few results now in an effort to share a little of the results and to hear what other riders think.

Here are some other posts:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/335942.html?1150566599
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/328728.html?1148504912
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/336617.html?1150980182
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/324096.html?1147101749
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-10-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
Jeff and Ed
Ed was riding in a "beginners" position on the Mojo, feet close to the inside edge. As you gain more experience on the board, you can move around more. Also with more experience a rider may be able to ride a smaller Trick Boardz which of course makes the board even more maneuverable. I was only fair on the Surf Skate initially, but with practice, it is the only board I ride and the sweet spot in the wave just keeps getting bigger.