Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
All week long we’ve had great weather. The temperatures have been well in to the 60s, and even broke into the 70s several times. So what do you get after a week great weather, crumby weather. It was fairly windy with temperatures that just broke out of the 40s in to the 50s. Amazingly the water temperature gauge reported 57 degrees. It was hard to believe the water temperature but another boater told us that he was getting 54 degrees. Crumby weather made the occasion more memorable. It will be something we can brag about at work on Monday (as well as on line). You know, chest thumping manly Tarzan stuff. The whole crew can do all that manly stuff Monday morning around the water cooler, well except for Noelle.

The first ride in 2005 with my old boat was a similar experience – crumby weather. After the ride I returned a borrowed snowboard to Dean. We took a picture of the four of us holding the snowboard in front of the boat. Today Dean happened to have about a million snowboards in his car top carrier so we repeated the commemorating photograph. Note to self, don’t ask the nearest fishermen to take the photograph, Dean got clipped. Dean’s a big guy, that’s hard to do.

April 2005 with the Mighty Centurion Lightning
Upload
April 12, 2008 with the Mighty Enzo
Upload

I’ve got a really good group of friends. I was thrilled to be able to share the experience with six of them. A couple others had conflicts and a few had to cancel at the last minute. A crew of seven was plenty. It was great to see everyone since the long winter lay over.

Today was the release of a lot of pent up anticipation. Of course there’s the new boat. I spent a lot of time looking at boats this winter, so finally getting the new boat on the water was a lot of fun. I’m really in to wakesurfing and I’ve never surfed behind an Enzo so I really wanted to see the wake and I wanted to see if Enzo surf wake could live up to the hype.

I also built a few wakesurf boards this winter. One was a ridiculous egg create design made from Pizza Hut, pizza box cardboard. The second was a 9-foot long board. I’ve got a third surfboard that’s mostly complete; I just need to finish the electronics before I ride it.

Chris was the only hardcore wakeboarder. We set up to pull Chris first since the rest of us were there to wakesurf and the wakeboarding set up is simpler. My boat has two side tanks. We filled both tanks. I also had 270 pounds of bag weight in the bow. Considering the size of the crew and this is early in the season, well that was plenty of ballast. I was driving so I didn’t get much of a chance to look at the wake. Chris is going to be riding in Florida next week, that will be warmer. Since Chris was the first rider we didn’t really have our camera gear out so I don’t’ have any wakeboarding pictures.

Then we set up for regular surf. We moved the bags to the port side bow and dumped the starboard side tank. We also put a 750 FH fat sack in the port locker. For some reason it didn’t get completely filled. Compared to what I did to build a surf wake on my old boat this was a pretty simple set up. Right out of the box the wake was as reported, very good.

The regular side wake was nice and clean and had plenty of push. I expected a longer pocket than I got. That might be due to a number of factors. I was surfing on cardboard, I gained a little more weight over the winter than normal, it was the first ride of the season, cold water is more viscous generating more drag than warm summer water, and we don’t have sense for how sensitive the Enzo is to different set ups. I’m sure I’ll post more on the Enzo wake and set up.

Given my first assessment of the Enzo wake I’d say that I must have really had the Lightning surf wake dialed in. Give us some time and we’ll barrel wakesurfers.

We had heard that the Enzo surf wake was fast. Most boats run about 10 mph while we had heard that Enzos run about 13 mph. We rode around 11.5 to 12 mph.

We swapped the weight for goofy side surfing. About then the wind picked up another notch or two. The goofy wake had more spray than the regular wake, no wait the regular wake had no spray. When we went against the wind the goofy wake looked better but the surfers had to fight the wind. I also got a cold spray in my face so I ducked my head behind the windshield. Going with the wind the spray kicked up in the surfers face near the back of the boat. Again I was driving so I didn’t watch the goofy surfers a lot. I kept hearing that Noelle was able to surf way back in the pocket.

We need to work on learning how to set up the Enzo. As much as I’d like to buy an Enzo sack I have other priorities. I do have one simple idea, a set up modification, that might help the goofy wake. If this idea works I’ll share it. Haven’t tried this one on the Lightning. It should be simple to make. Maybe I can have it ready for next week. There was another set up that I made to the Lightning that helped the goofy wake. I might try that in a few weeks.

Here are some pictures from today:
Pizza Hut cardboard surfboard
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Home made long board
Upload
Upload
Upload

Almost got to the nose
Upload

On Steve's 07 IS Yellow
Upload

Jac is on another kind of leash as well, sorry ladies
Upload
Upload
Upload

Steve refused to get in to the water until the boat was running and everything was set to roll.
Upload
Upload
A little switch going on with ease. Steve has been practicing at a water park.
Upload

I had strict instructions to make sure that Corey didn't get anymore pictures in this report than Noelle.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I kept hearing that Noelle was surfing pretty far back on the goofy side. I guess here's the proof.
Upload
2 What pose is this?
Upload
Upload
4 More proof
Upload

Dean is the MAN. Everyone was wearing dry suits and wet suits, everyone except Dean. OK, Dean has a little walrus thing going, maybe that helps.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
Great day. What's the report on the long board? Noelle looks like a Ninja. She is way back. Dean's a wimp. Real men don't wear gloves when they surf. Ha!Ha!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
I think the long board is about what it's supposed to be. It might not be a great nose rider - I certainly wouldn't know how to tell.

I guess you'll have to tell me in a few weeks.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
Can't wait to ride the long board. The long board should fit nicely in the Mighty Enzo for the trip. I'm hoping Kayley will be able to ride the nose.
Old    surfdad            04-12-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
Roy you're too funny - I looked at that picture of Dean with the gloves and laughed out loud.

Ed, great post! You folks are hard core!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
I bought a board bag for the long board. While not surfing we laid it down in the walk through. That's where it will be on the way down to the Ice Breaker.
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-13-2008, 4:58 AM Reply   
Great story and picts Ed...thanks for the fun day!
Our family is in disbelief we'd ride in the conditions...thanks for the proof. Every minute was enjoyable! The season has begun! Shout out to Nancy for loaning me a 7mil and hood; you saved my arse!

Noelle and Corey
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-13-2008, 5:35 AM Reply   
I'm not sure there's any proof that Noelle was surfing. I mean there are four pictures of something that looks like a hooded space alien, but really could you say for sure that was Noelle?

That was mostly Noelle and Corey behind the camera.

It's always a blast to ride with you guys.
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-13-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
My style is a little 'alieneske'...not everyone can make it look as good as Corey!

Noelle
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-13-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Great pics, sorry I missed the ride...You are definitely core riders. Heck I was freezing watching the kids soccer games. It was the wind that was killer.

Let's get back to the 70 degrees and clean water. The pocket on the Goofy side was impressive for a first time out. I look forward to seeing it dialed in and chest high.
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-13-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
great day out. thanks for the pull ed can wait to try it out again in a little bit better conditions. the wake was great for wakeboarding
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-13-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
Chris, it was great to have you out with the crew, come again. Give me a few weeks and I might also wakeboard behind my wake board boat:-)

Corey, I tried to use the fake a lake to re-winterize the motor. Just like you said, it didn't work.

Today I went out to Roush and bought some 1 inch brass. So now I have permanent flushing input. Actually I think I'll modify it but it's good enough for now.

New brass
Upload
Upload

The pink stuff
Upload
All gone. With Side Swipe I just set it to the starboard side and looked over the edge to see when the pick stuff came out the side of the boat. Oh, came you tell that it was raining.
Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-13-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
Nice series of photos Ed. Must be a great feeling to have her on the water.
Old     (ttsurfer)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-14-2008, 5:35 AM Reply   
Ed had a great time. Thanks for the ride. Can't wait for the ice breaker.
Ciao,
Jac
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-14-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
Ya Matt, the feeling is great. I've got a whole season a head of me to play with a new toy:-)

Jac, I'm fortunate to have great friends.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-14-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
nice