Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-20-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
The first ever sanctioned national wakesurfing competition was held in Dayton, Ohio, on August 18th and 19th. Last fall Chris Walker, chair of the National Wakeboard League (NWL) invited us to add wakesurfing to the NWL Wakeboarding Nationals. When USA Wakeboard had a problem with their Nationals venue Chris also invited USA Wakeboard to use the same venue, Eastwood Lake, the Dayton, also known as the Dayton Hydro Bowl. Basically we had a three ring circus going. Even so Chris was organized enough and Eastwood Lake was big enough to support all three competitions. Chris is either the best water sports organizer or some kind of lunatic, I’m not sure I know where I want to come down on this one, thanks Chris!

The competition was sponsored by Centurion boats. The venue was pulled by a bright-red Avalanche and a deep dark, black Avalanche. Naturally we used the red boat pull the regular surfers and the black boat to pull the dark side. Noelle and I had a friendly argument about Darth Vader and surfing the dark side. She made a good case for the notion that Darth Vader would not actually surf on the dark wake but would instead manufacture legions of genetically engineered clones to surf the dark side. Either way he’d probably have an awesome black boat.

Jeff Walker, President of the American Wakesurf Association, Mike Armstrong, owner of Calibrated Surfing, and Dean Jones, long time friend and former snowboard organizer were our judging crew. Jessica Oswald, two time world wakesurfing champion assisted judging the Saturday Women’s division.

Saturday we ran Youth, Men’s, Women’s, Long Board, and Masters. Sunday we ran Open Men’s Skim, Open Women’s Skim, Open Men’s Surf, and Open Women’s Skim.

The wakeboard course on the other side of the lake is fine for wakeboarding but too shallow for wakesurfing. The depth in front of the Jet Ski beach at the other end of the lake ran from 19 to 30 feet, perfect! The course was 1,500 feet long with a 300 foot run in at each end. The length of the beach was about the same length as the course and centered on the course, again perfect!

Even with the great proximity of the course and beach it’s nearly impossible to see a rider like Bri Chmel in her low down multi spin stance, she just can’t bee seen. Last year we set up a video link at the Scioto Wakefest. This year we set up a transmitter on both boats and a video tent. As we moved judges from boat for boat we also moved our video camera and simply plugged it in to the other transmitter. We (Jac) ran the television from a battery and inverter.

We had only a few minor issues. I forgot to pack grilling tools. So we got out a long #2 screwdriver and a large crescent wrench. Then we made the mistake of letting Mike and Austin cook hot dogs, big, big, mistake. The dogs were blacker than the coals still in the bag at night. Sunday we let (couldn’t stop) Judy and Stacy cook the dogs, much better. The beach was a little rocky. Getting surfers to the boats was a little challenging. We found some of the rocks with my prop, dang it. Later in the afternoon I spoke with Ed Gerdeman, Dayton Park Manager, told me that I could have had 115 Vac power and a dock if I had asked for it, next year, next year. There are so many possibilities at this site.

Big thank to:
…Chris Walker – thanks for the invitation to add Wakesurfing to Nationals
…Centurion boats
…Surfers
…Judges
…Corey and Noelle – The Amazing Red Avalanche
… Mike Smith – The Equally Amazing Black Avalanche
…Kelly registration
…The Gordon’s for videography and photography
…Dave for precision GPS course setup
…Jac and Dave set up
…Jon for bringing the massive Stewart long board
…Jon for bringing the grill
…More I’m sure

I really enjoyed meeting new friends and riding with friends and my regular crew.

The Jet Ski Beach
Upload
Regular Red Boat
Upload
Darth Vadar Boat
Upload

Judging crew
Upload

Regular wake
Upload
The dark side
Upload

How could you see Bri without video?
Upload
#2 grilling instrument
Upload
A Girl Scout is always prepared
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-20-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Finally some surfing
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-20-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
More surfing
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-20-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
Long boarding it. This long board has practically gone around the planet. Everyone really dug riding the big board, thanks’ Jon:-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Long Board Awards
Upload
Long boarders
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-20-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
Here are the 2007 NWL Wakesurf National Champions

Youth
1 Aspen Snyder
2 Ben King

Men’s
1 Corey Snyder
2 Robbie Gordon
3 Tyler Steele
4 Brian King
5 Bryon King
6 Tyler First

Women’s
1 Kayley Gordon
2 Noelle Snyder
3 Jordan Lausch
4 Ali Lausch
5 Stacey Groh

Master’s
1 Jeff Walker
2 Judy Walker
3 Ed Sullivan

Long Board
1 Austin Day
2 Jessica Oswald
3 James Walker
4 Mike Kozacek
5 Corey Snyder
6 Judy Walker
7 Noelle Snyder
8 Ed Sullivan
9 Jon Bartel

Men’s Open Skim
1 James Walker
2 Mike Kozacek
3 Austin Day
4 Corey Snyder
5 Robbie Gordon

Women’s Open Skim
1 Bri Chmel
2 Noelle Snyder
3 Kinder Chang
4 Kayley Gordon
5 Jessica Oswald

Men’s Open Surf
1 James Walker
2 Austin Day
3 Corey Snyder
4 Mike Kozacek
5 Jon Bartel

Women’s Open Surf
1 Jessica Oswald
2 Bri Chmel
3 Noelle Snyder

Upload
Tyler was competing at the wakeboard comp
Upload
Upload
Upload

I found Tyler Steele:-)
Upload

Roy or Jeff can you post results pictures from Sunday?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-20-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
Jac setting up the wireless receive link
Upload

My son just went to college he won't miss the X-box TV - heck he has the X-box
Upload

Trophies
Upload

My Avalanche and Mike's Avalanche
Upload
No Kelly, mom won't let me keep the Avy
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-20-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
I've got those, in running order:

Men's skim (note the carcinogen twins flanking James) :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-20-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
Women's Skim, Kimber Chang had to return home before the awards ceremony.

Upload

(Message edited by surfdad on August 20, 2007)
Old    surfdad            08-20-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Men's surf

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-20-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
and wrapping up a stellar event, women's surf

Upload
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-20-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Awesome!! Looks like a GREAT contest! Thanks for all of the pics!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-20-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
That's a lot of Calibrated gear of display. After the competition on Sunday we still had the lake and so got in a few fun rides.

One of the cool things about organizing competitions and surf and turf events is you get to ride behind different boats and you get to swap boards. I've seen Calibrated on line but never had a chance to ride one before Nationals, then a whole Calibrated team shows up.

Granted I’m a little bigger than the average guy but it seems like I’m way bigger than the average surfer. I’m way too big for the skim boards I’ve had the chance to ride this year. Mike Armstrong let me give his 57 Piscus a ride. Mike was explaining the board structure and how he plans to reshape it for next year. He said that he's going to reduce the tail rocker because he thought the board might be a little slow and he's going to make the board a thicker. I didn't find the board slow at all. I had my best ride of the weekend on his board, thanks Mike.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
Here are a few pictures of the newest team rider for Calibrated. We were very proud of Kayley when Mike Armstrong asked her to join his team of riders. A video of her first place run can be found at http://www.wakesurfchamp.com.

Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by Norris_laker on August 20, 2007)
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-20-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
Congrats to the Walkers for bringing home the hardware (again). I thought James was going to ride the new S.S.(?)
Look forward to seeing you guys this weekend in Merced.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
More pix from the national championship

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-21-2007, 1:07 AM Reply   
Quite nice wakes both sides. Could you give us an idea about ballast size and placement especially on the port side?
Thanks
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-21-2007, 4:56 AM Reply   
Both boats had transom walk through. On the port side we put a 750 behind the driver, a 400 back in the walk through and another 400 in front of the first 400 and partly on top of the 750. We had 270 pounds of steel under the starboard bow cushion. Starboard and center tanks full. No Switch Blade.

We had about the same weight on the red boat. When set up for regular surf the walk through made a nice place to store boards.
Old    surfdad            08-21-2007, 5:22 AM Reply   
Hey Greg, not ignoring you...just didn't see your post in the middle until this morning.

We don't have the SS board yet, I believe we'll get it this week. Epoxy over EPS construction is a little slower that Polyester over Polyurethane and Dave and Jerry are really pushing their own scedules to get a board to James.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-21-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
What speed did the contestants get pulled at or did it vary depending on the class.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-21-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
We were generally pulling around 11 to 11.5 mph.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-21-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
Looks like another great contest. REALLY wish we had contests like yours here in the S/W. Guess I will just have to make more road trips.

Congrats to everyone who competed, and a special shout to Jessica O. Miss ya girl!!

Coach
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-28-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
I finally got around to putting a little video together. This one is toung-in-cheek, old men (and women - Judy) rule!!

http://www.wakesurf.net/media/showphoto.php/photo/276
Old    surfdad            10-28-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
Great video Ed! I do love your choice of music. Artist please - I'm guessing the name of that diddy is "I'm an old man"? :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-28-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
That's Buddy Guy, Sweet Tea, "Done Got Old". I believe that Buddy Guy was one of Jimmy Hendrix’s early influences. The rest of the album is way different. This album is one of my current favorites.

I don't have any really good ideas for sounds tracks form the other divisions. I'll have to do a little research.