Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-11-2007, 10:39 PM Reply   
Hi All - I've seen many peeps on the water having fun surfing behind a boat. I want in, so does the family. Can someone recommend a good wake surfing video/DVD, How too style? Also, what would be a good starter board for a 5-11 180lb dude and a 5'4 118 lb hottie?
thanks to all.
Old    surfdad            07-12-2007, 4:41 AM Reply   
If you want to purchase a DVD:

http://www.wakesurfingdvd.com/

For free, a great sequence of vid's:

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/videos-howto.asp

Bill, you mention family - have you got kids that will want to learn to ride also? Your 180 pounds and the 118 pounds shouldn't have a problem learning on with most 5'6" molded boards, but sometimes younger/smaller kids have trouble flipping that size board up. Will the board need to be suitable for smaller childern, also?
Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
Hola Jeff, Yes, being the family guy I'd like to get my 8 year old girl (and her crew) out on the board. 60 to 75 lbs range for all of them, wet. Any ideas? Thanks for the links brother, I'll be making a purchase.
Old    surfdad            07-12-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
You bet Bill. I hear ya on the kids. In my experience, the little ones' biggest problem is in flipping the board up. Once the board is on the surface the kids litterally POP out of the water. :-)

I like to use the Trick Boardz Velocity - Medium for teaching kids. The board is neutrally bouyant and so it allows them to get the forward rail out of the water with little trouble. I haven't priced them lately, but they have always been the least expensive board on the market. Larry and David Mann are great to work with.

Thinking about it, Trick Boardz has an innovative board selector and you might be able to get a single board for the entire family. Although, more than likely Dad will need his own board and Mom and the kids can ride a smaller one.

Personally, I prefer to teach adults on a bigger board. We had really good results with a 5'6" hyperlite broadcast. Although, you'll probably want a more responsive board after the first season. The WP Comp X 5-Oh is a good low cost alternative also. Bigger is usually better, for adults, when first starting out. If you want to cut your teeth on a cheap and easy to find board, the 5'6" Broadcast would be an ok first board.
Old     (showtz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-12-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
L.E.S. has a nice selection of the boards mentioned above.

http://www.lakeeffectsupply.com/
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-12-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
Hey Bill,
Since you ride the Delta where do you live? We might be able to get together and you could demo the Walker Project Composite X 5.0 and the Composite X 4.5. Send me a PM.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-13-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
I agree with Jeff on his post. The HL 5.6 is stable and easy to start learning on. The Trick Boards velocity is good to start the smaller rider on.

Once you get over the buoyancy problems some of the Inland Surfer boards are very good next boards.
Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-15-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hi All,
Picked up a 5'6" hyperlite broadcast on Sat. woohoo! One week from now I'll be on the water for a week, looking forward to giving it a go, so is the fam.
Does anyone have a suggestion on weight & speed for a 2007 Supra 21v? I have the triple ballast on board and approx. 4 adults, 3 kids onboard. General question - is it easier to learn basics traveling at a slightly faster (11), or slower speed (8)? Thanks all
Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-15-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
Jeff, thanks for the link! Looks easy to get up! I would have done it wrong, since I was a surfer from so cal another life ago ;-)
No belly starts, pheewwww.