Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-20-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
I've found an old boat with really really low hours. I remember reading on here that this is not necessarily a good thing but I can't remember why. any ideas???
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
IMO, I would be a little turned off by this in a way. Basically from my experience, boats that get run a lot more seem to run better. When a boat sits for long periods of time it just doesn't run as well as one that goes at it every day. I'm no mechanic, this is just my experience. It's probably just fine. The other thing to think about is it may have low hours because they kept having to get it fixed so they could never use it. These are definitely worst case scenarios. go check it out for yourself and see what's up.
Old    bocephus            04-20-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Because instead of being used and maintained it has been just sitting somewhere. Items in a boat like fuel lines, etc. rot out over time and contaminate the fuel system contaminating the motor causing all sorts of problems. A high hour boat has been used and as a result possibly maintained.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-20-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
It's worth a look, we can speculate all day about what might or could be wrong, one of the only real issues with one sitting is the fuel system, carb will get gunked up, and or depending on how the boat has been left, there might be condensation built up in the fuel system as well, if the money is right and it's what your looking for, i wouldn't hesitate to jump on it. That being said, might not be a bad idea to have a mechanic look at it if you are not mech. inclined etc... just for piece of mind.
Old    bocephus            04-20-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Also check the computer hours if you can. If it doesn't have a computer check the hour meter for any numbers that might indicate the year the hour meter was made. It's very easy to fib on the hours on a boat.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
2 summers ago bought an 86' dd w/ 430 hr../ rebuilt carb changed oil/filter, fuel, plugs/ wires ... no problems ... has been very reliable 130 + hr.... luck of the draw, i guess ;)
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-20-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
Thanks guys we are talking an '89 with approx 190hrs
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-21-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
wow...get it checked by a mechanic just to make sure.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
My friend just traded an 88 with about 200 hours on it. That boat was immaculate. No boat is without problems, so look for signs of neglect rather than worrying about the number of hours.

Eric
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-21-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
to me, it would depend on if the boat has been running in the last few years. When did the current owner buy it? and how many hours were on it?