Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-12-2007, 5:35 AM Reply   
I found a good deal on a Panasonic camcorder I wish to buy but I don't know anything about this site. Is it legit?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-12-2007, 5:37 AM Reply   
How about Broadway Photo while I'm asking?
http://www.bwayphoto.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ID=2319322&l=LowPriceDigital
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-12-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Camera_Addict
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

You picked some real winners there. If it too good to be true...then it is. Try Amazon, BH Photo, Adorama, Beach Camera, Ritz Camera, etc.

Pricegrabber.com can help find what a good price is including shipping.

Make sure when you buy equipment it is from an authorized retailer or the warranty may not be any good. Another thing is many places sell grey market good, for less of course. The grey market items do not carry any USA warranty.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-12-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Ok, thanks Peter. I knew there was a rating website but I couldn't remember the address. The Brodayway isn't really a too good to be true deal as Circuit City recently ran a sale for the same price that I missed out on.

I'll try Pricegrabber. I've tried some of the others but there prices aren't that great...and I worry about Amazon! Thank you.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-12-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Do not worry about Amazon. They are good about taking care of their customers. I had a seller not ship the product to me. One email and it was handled. Takes two weeks for them to process the refund, which is normal for them, but I never had to follow up as it was taken care of. I have bought thousands of dollars from Amazon and never had a problem. Often the sellers on Amazon are one like Adorama, Camedia, along with other well known retailers.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-12-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Right on. Okay, I look into some of these places. Thanks for your help Peter.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-12-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
yep. I'll second Amazon. Bought a piece of camera equipment from some no-name shop through the amazon.com site, and everything was all good.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-12-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
Got to add a thumbs up on Amazon, as Peter and Scott mentioned Amazon seems to be able to make flakey resellers perform as long as you order through the Amazon link. Don't bypass the Amazon link and go direct to the reseller though for a better price unless you're into playing games and the old bait and switch.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-14-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Well, we made the purchase last night from Abe's of Maine that we got from Peter's Price Grabber site. The sales guy last night was definitely worth getting it from them! He was so over the top salesman that we couldn't help but laugh. We did end up buying a filer, tapes, and a longer battery from them and we bargained quite a bit.

All in all it was a great buying experience, and the guy upgraded our shipping for free to make sure it got here next week before Christmas. I highly recommend them...as long as we do actually receive our camera next week!

-Thanks all
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-14-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Abe's is about 1 small step above the one's you previously mentioned. You shouldn't have to buy all that extra crap to get what you want. I'm glad it worked out for you but they are NY scum buckets like many of them out there. and if you call that a great buying experience then you must be a saint!

I like your caveat at the end LOL that says it all!
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-14-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
Boy I cannot say anything good about broadway. I bought from them a year ago not knowing anything (an impulse buy) about them. As part of the package they threw in a tripod they said was valued at $89 or something and swore up and down that I had a US camera. Well, when my import camera arrived and the $89 tripod was a 3 inch flexy wire thing I was pretty pissed.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I returned everything (even though I lost $ since I opened up a Transcend 2MB card valued at about $150) just so I would never have to deal with them again for warrantee issue.

In the end, I had to get my credit card company involved to get all my money back (except for the 5x overpriced memory card) but they caved.

Just go with B&H. They are the absolute best and have spent thousands there. I'm sure I will spend more in the future

LAter

Bakes
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-14-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
i ordered accessories from b&h earlier this week. got exactly what i ordered today. and i didn't even pay extra for rush shipment!

i would go w/ b&h, adorama or amazon. i wouldn't trust other sites.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-15-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
Bakes, WOW a Transcend 2 gig for $150???? Even a year ago that was highway robbery!! I actually think Broadway and Abes may be the same ownership.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-17-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
Well, we'll see what happens with the product once I receive it. I surely didn't "have" to buy the tapes and longer battery but this was stuff we were going to buy anyway. My wife and I had read tons of reviews of this particular camera and know the stock battery only had a 30 minute life.

And I agree that B&H and Adorama are both great. I have bought from both of them before, but the money savings was worth it for me in the end. Now if I never receive a camera then I will be sure to let you guys know that it was a bad decision!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-17-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
Oh dear...

Be sure to let us know what kind of battery and tape they included so we can tell you how much they overcharged you for those items.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-17-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
I've seen the same tapes at BB for the same price. It's not like people can't do price comparisons and are just subject to whatever the internet companies want you to buy. I only bought the accessories because I WANTED to buy them. I also saved by not having to pay tax.

The company I bought from is nothing like the two I mentioned in my first post. Abe's got a 7 out of 10 rating on the site Peter referenced above. Most all of the reviews I read on Price Grabber had good things to say about them.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Abe_s_of_Maine

I agree that most of these low-ball stores are a rip but I don't put Abe's in the same category. Now my local photo stores...much worse.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-20-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Well, I got all my gear in yesterday! I placed the order late last week and they did a great job with getting it out so fast. The camera is awesome along with the free case that we received. All in all it was a great buying experience with Abe's of Maine!