Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-13-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
I've finally decided to take the plunge and purchase a new X2. I'm not going the "loaded" route, in fact, it's just the opposite. I'm going with the Predator motor, no stereo(I'm doing my own stereo), and Perfect Pass. NO other options at all.

Typically when I buy a vehicle, be it a truck, a motocross bike, or a machine tool, I come into it prepared. I like to know what retail OTD price is, what the dealer cost is, and what I'm willing to pay. I find the boat market to be somewhat different. I am having a hard time even finding out the true retail price, let alone dealer cost, or what other people paid for a similarly equipped boat.

Obviously a dealer is in this business to make money, and I have no problem with that. However, I feel that paying $47000 out the door for this stripped down boat is unreasonable. A close friend of mine purchased a loaded X10 last year for $51600 at the same dealership. Removing the stereo, motor, shower, and heater options from his boat would put him down below my $47000 OTD quote.

I searched the archives and found very little info regarding pricing of a new X2. As it stands, there's no way I'm paying $47,000 for a stripped down boat.I came into this expecting to pay somewhere in the 41-44K range.

Does this sound unreasonable?

Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-13-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
Buy slightly used and save some money or wait till the end of the year when they are trying to get rid of boats. Luxury items like boats change price constantly there is no way to get a exact price. you have to work the dealer to get your price.
I bought my 2002 X-star new in Oct of 2002 I got the engine upgrade, heater, shower, stereo, perfect pass, solid hull gelcoat, Rankin Cover, Tandem Axle Trailer for $39,500 you should be able to get a stripped down X-2 for low 40's but you may be able to find a left over or slightly used X-2 from last year for that price well equipped.

(Message edited by john d on April 13, 2004)
Old     (wallyworld)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-13-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
dude, a stereo, shower, and heater dont add up to very much. if you cant afford a MC look at something else.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-13-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
Another very informative comment Mr. World. I am sure that Joe appreciates your insight and may have overlooked the obvious. Thanks for bringing all of us back to reality on the costs of boats, as well as the fact that a shower, heater and stereo don't add up to very much. Your wisdom seems endless at times.

A side note.... Joe, I was looking at new leftover '03 X-2's. Price I was getting ended in the 43 range similarly equipped with a tandem trailer and the MCX. He was going to take a trade and I am sure that had some increase effect on the price. So with tax and license on the 43, we would have been over 46 K. I don't think that was a great deal, but I also don't think he was going much lower. Everywhere has different prices due to their allotment of boats and what people in the area are willing to pay.

Anyway...just something to measure against.

E.J.
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-13-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
Joe-

Not knowing what new prices are for MC, I would probably say you went at it right, just at the wrong time of the year. Such as it is, supply vs. demand regarding price fluctuations is alive and well in the boat market. Right now, I have heard that CC, MC, BU all have outsold their build slots for 2004. What this means is that there are more people wanting to customize and build then the factory has capabilities for. Due to this, boats in stock as well as slightly used prices are going up. Due to your somewhat customized request (not many people want a bare-bones X2) the customized boat build slots that get you in time for the beginning or middle of summer are also going up, if you can still get it. I would second the idea of getting a slightly used boat if you are looking to get something this summer in your price range, OR wait until fall when supply meets demand, or a surplus arrives.

Aren't X10's MSRP cheaper than the X2?
Old    mb_girl            04-13-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
Can you find a leftover '03? When we were looking a couple of months ago, there were a lot of MC leftovers readily available. Just a thought.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       04-13-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
if u dont feel comfortable purchasing the boat at that price, then u shouldn't. it will be tough to find out what actual dealer cost is. fortunately for boat dealers their business isnt "whored out" like what has happened to the car industry since the arrival of the internet. maybe u could check around and see what some of the boat show prices were, or shop some other dealers.
Old    arrowride            04-13-2004, 8:42 PM Reply   
I was told, not a firm in writing quote, around 45 a month or two ago. I'm sure that was no tax and license but with some extras. I went with a Supra SSV.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-13-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
John: I would buy slightly used, except I can't find any 01-02 X-Stars or 03 X2's with the color scheme I want. The color scheme is really the only thing driving me towards new.

Wallyworld: Thanks for the ignorant comment. Why don't you go price out the shower, heater, stereo(with sub), and MCX motor options. Then come back and apologize.

E.J.: That seems to be about what I'm up against. That's the problem with buying a Mastercraft, they sell ALL of them anyways, so they don't need to cut any deals!

Jefe: The salesman actually said if I ordered the boat now, I would have it in 3 weeks. He may have been B.S.ing me (salesmen have a tendency to do that). I'm not sure if the MSRP for the X10 is less than the X2 or not. I know they are pretty close pricewise, which is strange. If you've ever sat in an X10, it's clearly A LOT more boat than an X2.

Tracie: Finding a leftover is sort of the same problem with finding a used boat. I can't seem to find the color scheme I want. It's actually a pretty simple scheme though. It's the same as the X2 on the Mastercraft website. All deck and hull gelcoat colors are red. Anybody have a Red/Red/Red 02 X-star they wanna sell?

Chuck: That's pretty much what I told the salesman this afternoon. There's another MC dealer a little closer to me. If they can get down to 45K out the door, I'll likely go for it.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Anybody know what a similarly equipped VLX goes for?

Old    dfish            04-13-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
Joe

I understand with you completely! It's important for me to pay a "fair" price. It is what allows me to pay cash for my SANTE once the dealer prep is complete.

Every dealer dictates the price on these boats. This arbitrary price fluctuates weekly, daily and hourly.

MC is not the only, and certainly not the best, boat in town. Look at some others, ride behind a few and next time you walk into the MC dealership compare and contrast the MC to the competition, offer him what you think is fair and leave your number.

I still get e-mail's from MC 4 months after I told them they were out of their minds thinking an X2 was worth 57k.

You will quickly find out that even MC has to "whore out" to pay for overhead.
Old    dfish            04-13-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
Joe

MC X-2 with same options as SANTE(less 5 year warranty ($), keyless ignition ($2,000), fiberglass swim platform ($1,000) 57k.

BU VLX 58k same as X-2

CC SANTE less than 54k, SAN Limited around 2k less than Team before they sold out.

These were winter time prices. Hopefully this helps.
Old    arrowride            04-13-2004, 9:15 PM Reply   
When I was negotiating it's amazing how much the prices came down when I talked about the other brands I was looking at.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-13-2004, 9:37 PM Reply   
Joe
Prices vary so much that it is hard to find out the price of the boat without going and talking in person. The reason I say this is that the prices that Dan listed are the exact opposite of what I found from my local dealers. We were able to get our Malibu equipped nicer than what your are wanting in your boat for less than 45k before TTL. We have the upgraded motor, PP, Stereo with 4 Tower speakers etc. I would check with your local dealer to be exact.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2004, 7:09 AM Reply   
Joe,

There is(was???) a solid red '02 X-Star(X-2) here locally a few weeks ago. I am not sure if he sold it or not. If you want, I will look. Problem is, the guy was listing it at 45 and if I remember correctly, it was not "loaded", though did have the standard PP, tanks, racks, stereo ect. I guess some consider that loaded, I just think it is normal.

Anyway, that is about what you are being quoted, which after taxes and such...you will be even. 2 years and new is worth paying more for your options in my opinion, but again I will look and get you the number if you like.

E.J.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-14-2004, 7:26 AM Reply   
Yeah E.J. I'd definitely go new, if I had to pay 45 for used. 38 or 39K would put me pretty close to where I want to be. Thanks for the lead though!
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-14-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
Also, it's hard to compare last years prices with what dealers are selling boats for this year. I have a friend who bought a 03 'Bu VLX last year OTD for 47 and change. When I went and priced an 04 this year (similarly equipped), it was closer to 53. One dealer I talked to said prices have been rising 5-8% a year for the past 5 years.

mb
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
I have an 03 x2 I wouldn't say loaded but it has heater, stereo(wish I had just put in my own), digital PP, tower, racks, triple kgb, dual axle trailer,310 engine, I think that's it..anyway, I got mine low 40's..I think 47,000 for the one you want is too high.
Also, the x10 is more expensive than the x2..I got a price of low 50's for an x10 with exact same options.
Just curious why no PP?? It's really one option that I couldn't live without..I love it.
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-14-2004, 11:50 AM Reply   
A couple prices I know of are:

'03 new last year loaded except tower speakers and sub, 43k.

'04 san limited 46k
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-14-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
Wilson, the wording in my original post is a little off. Perfect Pass is really the only option that I have selected. Since you have a boat very similar to what I want, I've got a few quick questions maybe you could help me with:

Overall how do you like your boat?

How much extra weight have you added?

Is the 310hp Predator adequate?

Does your Perfect Pass go wild when you're in a turn (My buddies X10 goes practically wide open).

I just talked to the other MC dealer in my area, and he's saying he can get into the mid 44 range. I'm going down to haggle with them this afternoon, so we'll see how much they try to screw me when I'm there in person. If everything goes as planned, I will be placing an order for an 04 X2 before 6pm tonight! $44,500 for a stripped boat still seems high to me, but I'm running out of dealers!

Old    mb_girl            04-14-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
If he said mid 44 range already, I'd bet he can/will go a little lower than that. Yeah, it seems ridiculous for a stripped boat, but then again things will always sell for whatever the market will bear.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-15-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
This story just gets better.

So yesterday, my buddy and I take off work early to battle traffic for an hour getting to this dealer. The salesman said he could work out a deal if I came down and showed that I was a serious buyer.

The frustration started as soon as I got there and the salesman tells me the sales manager is already gone for the day. Essentially, I drove all the way there and the guy still can't give me a price. I've already seen the boat a dozen times, I didn't need to drive an hour to see it again. So I tell him the same thing I said on the phone, I'll pay $44,500. Take it or leave it.

The guy seems enthusiastic, and starts on the paperwork for a "customer offer" of $44,500. He claimed that with a refundable deposit, it will show that I am a serious buyer, and will weigh heavily on the sales manager's final decision. So I leave a check for $10,000 as a refundable deposit.

I called once in the early afternoon today to find out if the deal was approved or not, and he still hadn't talked to the sales manager. Finally at about 4pm, the saleman calls me back and drops this bomb, "The lowest we can go for an X2 with Perfect Pass is $52,000 out the door."

FIFTY TWO THOUSAND! This is a completely stripped boat. This same guy quoted me $49,000 last Friday, and backed down to $47,000 by the time I finished telling him which options to take off of the boat.

If he would have come back to me saying, "$46,000 and we have a deal." I most likely would have said go for it. But the guy is such a shyster that he bumps up the price by $5,000 as soon as he gets a deposit. I will not ever buy a boat from this dealer, and I will tell this exact same story to all of my friends. (2 are planning to buy brand new boats in the next year).

Anybody have a good connection at a Malibu dealer in norcal?

VLX here I come.

Old    mb_girl            04-15-2004, 6:10 PM Reply   
Wow, unbelievable what some dealers will do.

Check over on MBO (www.malibuboatowners.com) - lots of CA 'Bu owners over there.
Old    dfish            04-15-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
Joe

If you think the $ is painful now, wait until you have to work with that dealer on service!

MC has had a difficult time in my neighborhood also--4th dealer in ten years. Liked the X-2 also, but could not justify paying 7k more than my SANTE, espcially considering the same kind of sales tactics you described.

There are plenty of options out their: CC, BU, MB. Good luck and post some pics when you bring your new baby home.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-15-2004, 9:32 PM Reply   
Dan, fortunately between myself, and several friends, we have practically every aspect of repair/service covered.

Hell, that is so far off in the future right now, I can't even think about it! I'm pretty sure I won't even purchase an X2. $52K?? I'll pass!

(Message edited by Joe 788 on April 15, 2004)
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-16-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
I just came home from picking up my $10,000 check from the MC dealer, and stopped by the Malibu dealer on the way. WOW. The VLX sure is a nice (and huge) boat! Until today, I've never even sat in one.

I think the X2 has better upholstery (seats, stitching), but the dash, steering wheel, stereo deck placement, and shift/throttle lever are HANDS DOWN better on the VLX. Tons more seating and storage too.

The price is still a little high for a stripped boat. These are the options I spec'd:

-Solid red hull and deck (this is $1600 extra).
-Flip up driver seat
-Perfect Pass
-Brushed/Bare Skylon Swoop tower with racks
-No stereo
-Nice tandem axle trailer

This "bare bones" boat still came out to $48,500. That's more than I'm going to pay. If they hit the low $47,000 range, I'd probably hit it up. They have a production slot coming up on the 29th, so I could supposedly have the boat by the second week of May.

Anybody have any thoughts/opinions on this price, or other options that I shouldn't live without? We are going to plumb in at least an extra 1000lbs of ballast, so I'm steering away from the wedge, (and our river has some crazy debris).

Also, thanks to all of the people that responded to me via email regarding the X2, I appreciate it. I'm so frustrated with MC dealers, I get a bad taste in my mouth when I even think about the X2.

Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-16-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
Joe,
All MC Dealers aren't bad. Good luck with your boat buying journey it can be frustrating at times and joyful at times.

(Message edited by john_d on April 16, 2004)
Old     (bradstang)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-16-2004, 5:38 PM Reply   
Joe:

Read all the thread about people complaining about the issues that they had with local dealers. The are many great choices for boats, so why not select the best dealer for you. Then purchase a boat from that dealer. It seems to me that the happiest boat owners are very satified with the dealer that services their boat.
Old    ag4ever            04-16-2004, 7:25 PM Reply   
Man, I bought my nearly full loaded SANTE for less than you are being quoted for a stripped down boat.

I bought mine in oct, and it was a dealer stock boat from a july boat show, so they were motivated to sell it, but still that is a big diff in price.

Even then the dealer was telling me I could custom order a new boat for less than you are being quoted, it would not have been loaded, but it would not have been stripped either.

I would tell the dealer to forget it, and move on to the next option.

I think the BU is a great boat. Deffinatly looks better than MC, and about equal to CC.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-16-2004, 7:32 PM Reply   
If you do order the malibu make sure that they cut the holes for the speakers. From what I have read at MBO they typically cut the holes and wire it, all you have to do is hook up your speakers. I may be wrong but I believe they do it. Also I think they could do a little better on the price, but getting close to summer they may not move on it as much.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-16-2004, 8:09 PM Reply   
Hey Joe, I'm a little late to this thread, If you're in nor-cal go see the guys at Ski World in Pleasanton. If you're still interested in a MC they will treat you right.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-16-2004, 11:53 PM Reply   
The GM at the Malibu dealer was only interested in two things:

#1-Promoting the "standard features" the VLX has that the X2 doesn't have.

#2-Bashing every single aspect of Mastercraft, and the X2.

I explained to him that locking storage hatches, air temp sensors, retractable ski pylons, and hide-away tables are not even the slightest bit important to me. Especially when compared to the bolster seat, brushed aluminum tower, and quality board racks that are STANDARD on an X2. These options will cost me close to $1000 on the VLX.

Also, bashing Mastercraft is not going to help me buy a Malibu. That's like meeting a total stranger, only to have him tell you that your girlfriend is ugly. I like both boats. I'd pay $47,000 for either at this point, but I'm having my doubts about the whole boat buying thing. I'm so sick of salesmen and their bold faced lies, I almost want to NOT buy a boat out of pure spite.

One MC salesman actually told me that I shouldn't buy an 01' X-Star with the 330hp motor, because the motor isn't made anymore, and I might have a hard time finding parts, (obviously a lie)!! If I can't find parts for a two year old boat, why in the F*&# would I buy a NEW boat from that brand?

After spending substantial amounts of time at 3 different dealers, I've realized a pretty standard pattern. I start out talking to a nice, down to earth guy that doesn't really have any answers about pricing, but is willing to listen to my wants and needs. Then, the over enthusiastic, over bearing, pushy guy jumps in to "argue" with the nice guy, telling him to "Hook the guy up." "Work him a good deal." Then after 30 minutes of talking, they come back with a price that is on the moon.

One guy actually had the balls to tell me I was lying about the price that my BEST FRIEND paid for a semi-loaded X10. I WAS THERE DURING THE NEGOTIATIONS, AND THE SIGNING OF THE CHECK. $51600, 2003 X10, Perfect Pass, MCX, Shower, Stereo with Sub, amp, and tweeters, MC tandem axle trailer with Boat Buddy.

At least the Malibu guy was nice enough to tell me that they look to make 10% off of every boat sale. This is a very understandable number that I have no problem with at all. However, I know for a fact that $48500 for a stripped VLX is more than 10%.

As far as service goes, that's a non issue. I have enough friends that are engineers or mechanics. Unless it's a serious fiberglass problem, we should be able to handle it.

The best part of this whole thing? I know that there's at least one person out there reading this thread, and relaying my comments to these particular dealers. I would hope these comments could be relayed to somebody higher up in the food chain, but apparently these business tactics start at the very top.

I am making a trip to socal soon for business, perhaps I'll poke around for a deal down there.

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-17-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
Funny how the Malibu dealer in my area bashed all other boats as well. I can’t stand it when salesmen do that, I immediately just want to turn my back and walk away. Sounds like your boat buying process is now a pain in the a**. Keep us informed; I have been following your post.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-17-2004, 7:38 AM Reply   
Joe,
Any reason why you didn't name the dealers you visited in NorCal? Sounds like you were set on the MC if you had never sat in the VLX. Everyone has their opinion, but I loved the Sanger V230 and the MBs at the boat show. Good Luck.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-17-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
I don't really feel comfortable naming names and bashing dealers on an internet message board. I know for a fact that other people on this board have bought from these same dealers and had a positive experience. Perhaps I am just getting bad salespeople.

There's only a few MC and Malibu dealers in this area, and I've dealt with all of them in a round about way. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference no matter where I go, especially since 4 of them are brother/sister stores.

Of all yesterday's events, my favorite happened when I picked up my check from the MC dealer that wanted 52K for a stripped X2. I told him I was going to order the X2 exactly how I wanted for $47000 from the other MC dealer (not owned by the same people). So the guy goes to his sales manager, then comes back and says, "If you can get that X2 for $47000, give me a call first and we'll see if we can work something out." This is after he spent a day telling me that 51K was a "pants around the ankles" price.

I had an overwhelming urge to punch the guy in the eye, but instead I just said, "Well you'd have to do a lot better than $47000, because I'm looking at 47K with a real Mastercraft trailer, and you're trailer has ugly wheels." HA!

Today is judgment day. I'm either buying a boat, or waiting until fall. It all depends on who can get to $47000 out the door.

(Message edited by Joe 788 on April 17, 2004)
Old    mb_girl            04-17-2004, 8:05 AM Reply   
Joe,
That is frustrating. When we bought our Malibu, we looked at MC as well, but got really turned off by his tactics. He looked me straight in the eye & said that if you swamp a Malibu it will sink, go straight to the bottom (bold-face lie). He expounded on it by telling me that as a mother I should be concerned about the safety (or lack thereof) in that. Talk about scare tactics! I don't think that any of the other boats made escaped getting bashed by him while we were there, just really & low sales tactics. We had bought our MB used from our local Malibu dealer & it was a good experience, so after that, going back to him was a no-brainer. I honestly don't think that it's a brand-specific thing for dealers to use those kind of tactics, but the boat market in CA has got to be cutthroat & that would certainly lend itself to more dealers being that way.

If you're willing to drive up here, I can highly recommend both Gary at Madras Marine & Jerry over at Bridge City Watersports. We bought from Gary because he's our local dealer, but in the whole looking process we visited Bridge City & Jerry's a straight-up guy. Also, I don't know where you're located, but I've never heard anything but stellar things about Tilly's down in Ventura so it might be worth visiting that option.

I'm sorry this is turning ugly for you. Buying a boat should be a fun experience - I mean it's a toy after all!
Old    turtle            04-17-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
I think you spend way to much time in the dungeon on issues like this one.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-17-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
Exactly turtle!

Didn't you just buy a new Super Air??

Old    turtle            04-17-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
Nope, They have my deposit...and its the same BS story about my dealer. I am over it really and will be getting my deposit back.

I still have my X5, and will be test driving some other boats next week.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-17-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
Joe,
Good luck today as I know where you are headed. I wouldn't be too optimistic though. The dealer you are headed to that is having a so called "Sale" is part of the same corporation that has been giving you the stress all week long.
Old    arrowride            04-17-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
To bad you are having such a bad experience. I agree with what many of the others have said, it should be fun going out and spending that kind of money on a "toy". I had some of the same experiences, but not at all from the two dealers I seriously considered. Island Marine, Supra/Moomba, and California Correct Craft, Nautique, were both great to work with. I went with the Supra SSV because it was a better fit for my needs, but it was sure great to have choices that I was totally comfortable with!!

Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-17-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
Well I just got home from Ski World in Pleasanton where I wrote a check for $48787 for an 04 X2, Red on Red on Red, MCX, Perfect Pass, real Mastercraft tandem axle trailer, tower mirror mount, high quality fitted boat cover, and some other stuff from the pro shop. The boat should be in Pleasanton on May 10th!

Ski World is the only dealership that DID NOT do any price changes throughout this whole process. They started at $47500, and stayed there. It only hit $48787 because of the MCX upgrade (Which they gave me a good deal on).

I would not say that this is a great deal on an X2, but it's a smokin' deal for a spring boat buyer.

I am a little out of their "territory", because there is a Mastercraft dealer about half the distance from my house, but I was treated so poorly at this dealership, I would never buy a boat from them anyways.

I stopped by the Malibu store on the way to Ski World and made an offer of $47,000 for a VLX with the options I listed in yesterday's post. They also wanted $475 for a BOAT COVER. I told them I would write a check right then and there, or I would drive to Ski World and write them a check for an X2. They stood firm at $48,500 ($48,975 with a cover) for a stripped down VLX. Obviously we walked out.

About 1 hour into my trip to Ski World, the Malibu salesmen started calling and making their offer a little better, and a little better. It was too late though. I had already made up my mind about the X2.

They could have told me $47,500 for the VLX (and cover) yesterday, and I'd have written them a check. Instead they wanted to push till the bitter end, and it ended up costing them 47 large. Additionaly, at this point, I had absolutely no interest in purchasing ANYTHING from this particular Malibu dealer, due to their affiliation with the local MC dealer I dealt with.

By going to Ski World, I ended up with the boat I truly wanted, with the trailer I truly wanted, at a fair price, and ABSOLUTELY NO HASSLES. Thank you Scott and Tony at Ski World for giving me a square deal.

And Duane, get those Entity 1010's boxed up and ready to ship!

Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-17-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, here's what the boat will look like. (Except the tower speakers will be A LOT larger, and louder!)

Again, thank you to all of the people that emailed me privately with comments and encouragement. I appreciate it a lot. I still ended up paying more than I'd have liked to, but overall I'm very happy with my purchase!
x2
Old    turtle            04-17-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
Congrats Joe!
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-17-2004, 11:51 PM Reply   
Very Very Sweeeeet!
Congrats Joe.
Just in case it's not obvious to some, Joe has described from start to finish how to make an informed purchase of something relatively expensive. Good Job!
For those dealers that I know read this but don't post, take a lesson in treating a customer right. I also know that some of the sales people have their hands tied but BS is BS....and it usually walks.
And yes Joe, Your Entity's will be ready for you.
I'll do one better, If you bring YOUR New Red on Red on Red X2 to Disco Bay, I'll install them myself....and then Rock n Ride! Actually, wouldn't Disco Bay be on your way home from picking up the boat?
Congrats again,
D out
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-18-2004, 6:38 AM Reply   
Sweet boat Joe, You'll love the boat! I bought my last MC at ski world and also had to drive 2 hours to get there. My next boat will probably be purchased there.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
Great to hear Joe.

Send photos of the boat to all the other dealers you talked with. It is a nice way to let them know you are no longer in the market for a boat.

All is well that ends well. I am sure you cannot get the smile off your face. Congrats again.

E.J.
Old    mb_girl            04-18-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
"Send photos of the boat to all the other dealers you talked with. It is a nice way to let them know you are no longer in the market for a boat."

I love that idea!

Congratulations Joe! Now the hard part begins, the waiting....
Old    arrowride            04-18-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
Congratulations Joe, I'm glad to hear it worked out in the end. Great looking boat!
And thanks for sharing the experience. It should help the people who haven't been through it before by showing that there are good dealers and bad dealers out there. Never settle for a dealer you're not happy with!! It is at least as, if not more, important as the boat you select.

Tracie I know exactly what you mean!! The waiting sucks big time!! Six weeks to go.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-18-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
In the dallas area we have some excellent dealers. The Supra, Nauti, and MC guys are great. The BU dealer is exceptional. It is hard to go wrong with any of the dealers in this town you just get to pick the boat you want. After reading the posts here, I can't believe these ass clowns can stay in business.
Old    hpdvs            04-18-2004, 2:14 PM Reply   
Yeah, I live in the Dallas area and I'm pretty shcoked at the dealers you desribed, we have really good dealers down here;
Correct Craft-Buxton Marine(got mine there)
Malibu-Waterski America
MasterCraft-Texas Mastercraft
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       04-18-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Joe...I realize that I am about to beat somewhat of a dead horse, but oh well. You said in an earlier post, "I told him I was going to order the X2 exactly how I wanted for $47000 from the other MC dealer (not owned by the same people)." and then, "They started at $47500, and stayed there." My point, while only $500 you intentionally lied to one dealer. But you got upset that they lied to you. Unless I am misunderstanding something there is a large amount of hypocrisy coming from you.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2004, 3:46 PM Reply   
Justin, I'm sorry for the confusion. Yes the check was going to be $47,500. But the deal also included approximately $500 in other non Mastercraft goods. So essentially the boat price was $47000.

As stated above, it ended up being $48787 because of the engine upgrade. I would have skipped the upgrade, except the fact that it will put me in a boat in 3 weeks, instead of 7.

Old    boatluvers            04-18-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
Joe it’s always going to be easier to be the last dealership , all you have to do is beat the other dealers price and you’re a hero. The first deakership you talk to sets the price where they want it to be and does all the leg work and a weasely dealership like Ski World who won’t be there to service you or maybe even see you again sells the boat and makes a nickel more than they had before you called them. With regard to bashing other peoples boats would a kings fan be bashing to say they are better than the mavericks(today any way)??? Just because they point out how their boat is better than another boat and you,ve got a jones for MASTERCRAFT, doesn’t necessarily equate to bashing. I hope all the promises you’ve gotten from ski world come true and they and MASTERCRAFT are the greatest because gas is over $ 2.00 per gallon and it’s a long drive to Pleasanton in traffic.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2004, 6:25 PM Reply   
I'm not sure what your motives are here, Mr. 1 post. But let me address your comments in order:

Ski World set a price, stuck to it, and threw in some incentives to help my decision.

The "other" MC guys were all over the map on their price, then tacked on about 5K the second I handed them a check. They wanted 4K more for the same boat, with a trailer that isn't as nice. So who is the "weasel" in this deal?

I have no problem with a salesman pointing out the features of his boat. Obviously any salesman is going to be biased towards the brand he sells. However, I repeated numerous times that these features ARE NOT important to me at all. The X2 comes standard with all of the features that ARE important to me. The flip up seat, brushed tower, board racks, and boat cover were all cost added options on the VLX.

Keep in mind, there are minor details that were left out of this timeline. Ski World was NOT the first dealer I called. The "other" guys were the ones that told me $47,000 OTD over a week ago, then went nuts on the price after I gave them a check. Again, who's the weasel?

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-18-2004, 6:39 PM Reply   
Hey Rosco, I've dealt with the guys a Ski World and they are not weasles!! They delivered for me just as they said they would and I'm sure they'll do the same for Joe. BTW, their service department is worth driving for. When I owned a MC I wouldn't even think of taking it to the local shop. Both times I had warranty issues with the boat they were ready to work on it when I arrived, fixed it, water tested it and sent me on my way the same day.
Lot's of people on this board have purchased from Ski World in Pleasanton and I have yet to hear a complaint about these guys.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2004, 6:39 PM Reply   
Whoa, a little upset there Rosco? Settle down over there....lol

Congrats on the purchase, Joe.
Old    arrowride            04-18-2004, 7:10 PM Reply   
If I go into see a boat, car whatever and salesman talks more about why the competition is bad then about what is good about his I leave. No problem pointing out differences but I prefer the positive sales over the negative. I just leave if someone starts bashing another manufacturer. And the old bait and switch is intolerable. Sounds like a BAD dealer (1 post) to me!

Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       04-18-2004, 8:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for clearing that up Joe.
Old    x10            04-18-2004, 10:19 PM Reply   
Congrats on a great boat. You won't be sorry you purchased at Ski World; they are hands down the best dealer to work with. They are straight shooters, will fight for their customers and do everything they can to keep you on the water when you want to be.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-19-2004, 3:46 AM Reply   
Congrats Joe that should be a sharp looking boat. I do have a question though why can you get the X-2 in a solid hull/deck color, and when we ordered our new X-Star they said it was impossible after '03 due to warranty concerns. Oh well congrats again on the new boat. Matt
Old    chucky            04-19-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
You cant get that on the x-star or the x-80 because of the floor, the snap in carpet. To many scuffs and scratches in the floor.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-19-2004, 11:08 PM Reply   
But you would think if that was expressly relayed to the customer it might be looked over. I mean I would not mind just the surrounding decking being colored and havint the floor reamin White...oh well. Matt