Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-31-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
Anybody familiar with this place? We are planning a little trip next week (Sun. to Wed.), but I am not familiar with that part of the Columbia River. Where is a good place to ride and are there any places to look out for (as in shallow spots)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Moon
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-31-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
Nice Sunday thru Wednesday should get you some butter. Good water all depends on the winds but I usually head up river from the marina for good water as a lot of times and usually all afternoon the winds howl down river towards the gorge. There are also a good set of cliffs to jump just up river on the left if you're into that sort of thing. Also if the water level gets really low watch out backing the boat in at the public launch your trailer can drop off the end of the concrete (it has to be real low though). Don't know of any shallow spots except out in front of the campground it stays shallow for a ways out.
Old     (agentmichaelscorn)      Join Date: May 2008       07-31-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
when the wind isn't blowing through the canyons, I think anywhere is a good place to ride. There is a slalom course on the far side from crescent bar behind some little island.

Also, if you launch your boat and go out the opposite way of the bridge, there is a nice cove that's warm, but it is very shallow. I've noticed that only the regulars go out there. (I've explored but never ridden in the shallow coves).

I agree with Ryan though, if you head north the water will be more calm.

If you do go to the Sandbar and don't want your prop buried in sand I'd say beach your boat on the inside of the cove...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-31-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
Like Ryan said, if you are dropping the boat in at the main launch in CBar then be careful on your way out to the middle of the river. If the water is low it can be a pain to get out. Once your in the middle of the river there isn't too many shallow spots. If you go with the theory that the bank is really steep so the water is deep and if the bank is really shallow then the water is shallow you should be fine. If you head down past the sandbar there is a big island that you just have to stay a couple hundred yards off of and give lots of space if you are going to try and turn around either end of the island. The ends of the island go out pretty dang far. Most people head down river from CBar so if you head upriver your chance of finding good water is better.

By the way if you stay in Crescent Bar the pizza place there is ridiculously good.
Old     (evansw6)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-31-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
I'm headed there on Wednesday too for my first trip of the summer. (finally!) I went up river from there a few years back, but I remember some boulders sticking up out of the water where the river bends up north toward Wenatchee. Is that further up than where you guys are referring to?

I second Tower pizza in CB. Good stuff.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-31-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
The rocks are upriver towards Wenatchee if I remember right. I don't think I have actually been up that far but I would definitely steer clear of them.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-31-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
Another thing I found out from the Columbia in Richland, WA is to give the upstream tip of islands a wide berth as they typically are shallow from built up sand/silt.

Is it true you should bring Mardi Gras beads with you? I have heard some wild stories about this place...
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-31-2009, 6:21 PM Reply   
I grew up in that area, but never did head up to Crescent bar. We always launched down near Vantage. I've hear many stories of the parties at the bar, but have yet to "experience" them :-)

That island upstream of Richland cost my $6,000 last year. I am glad I had insurance!
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-31-2009, 11:50 PM Reply   
Hey all, thanks for the advice. The family is pretty pumped for this trip, especially my bro-in-law. He and my sister are here visiting from The Netherlands, and since I got the boat, that is pretty much all he has talked about (and golfing). We are staying at Crescent Bay Resort, right below Sunserra Resort, but we'll definitely hit up the pizza joint. I've also heard several horror stories about the marina and getting out on the river. I have been to the bar below the Gorge and it was pretty sweet, but we'll be with little ones this time, so I'm hoping things will be fairly PG during the week (if we go there). Are there any good beaches up north where y'all are talking about riding?

Thanks,
Moon
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-01-2009, 6:16 AM Reply   
Moon we're headed up tomorrow and staying the week in the same place. Check my profile and look for my boat when you get there. I'll be happy to show you some places to go and the areas watch out for.
Your going to love the place, especially w/ kids.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-01-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
"Is it true you should bring Mardi Gras beads with you? I have heard some wild stories about this place..."

Bring eye drops. Your's are going to be bulging out of your head all day!
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-02-2009, 12:53 AM Reply   
Newty, I'll be looking for you. I don't have a profile picture so here is my boat.

Upload
We won't be able to get into our place until 3pm, and the rest of the fam doesn't want to leave all there belongings in the vehicles while boating, but will we try to get out on the water as soon as possible. If you do see our boat (parked at the house or on the water), feel free to stop by and introduce yourself.

Moon
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-02-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
Not sure if it was mentioned, but if you do venture down towards the dam, stay wide as you go underneath the bridge. There is a huge sand bar that spans that section.

And it can get ROUGH out there if the wind kicks up.