Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old    david427            05-23-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
My eyesight is quite bad, having problems seeing the wake and spotting landings, was thinking I might try soft contact lenses, worried about the regular face planting.

Advise required how do other get over this problem?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-23-2006, 6:42 AM Reply   
If you go soft contact, then make sure to get the disposable type because you will lose them eventually. As an alternative, you might consider sports goggles but make sure to attach something to the strap so that they float.
Old    david427            05-23-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
Thanks, any issues with the contacts damaging you're eyes when you face plant?

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-23-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
Been riding for 5 years with soft disposables. I have never lost one.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-23-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
I can't recommend LASIK enough. I know you asked about contact, but it's some of the best money I've ever spent on myself. It's nice for someone active to never have to worry about it again.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-23-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
I've been ridign with soft contacts for approx 3 years , only lost one. Mine have been knocked off my eyeball after a faceplant, but will slide back on......always carry solution on your boat in case you have trouble getting htem back in.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-23-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
Sometimes one will end up at a funny angle and you'll have to monkey with it for a second to get it repositioned. That's pretty much it.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-23-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
I had contacts most of my life. Got Lasik like 4 years ago and it was the best investment I ever made. I never think twice about my vision now and I can actually see the alarm clock in the middle of the night now.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-23-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
I agree with the LASIK statements. I wore contacts/glasses for 12 years. I got LASIK 6 years ago and haven't had any problems.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-23-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Go lasik! Almost 6 years and lovin it.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-23-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
if you are not a candidate for LASIK, just get disposable soft lenses. I have been doing watersports for over 15 years with them, and have only lost one lens. (knock on wood). I do however, keep some solution on board, and also my eyeglasses just in case I lose one or both.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-23-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
I agree, LASIK was the best money I ever spent. I did it in 1998 and my eyesight has been perfect since.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-23-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
I would not reccomend any kind of goggles. Unless you want to look like a racoon after a face plant.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-23-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
"Been riding for 5 years with soft disposables. I have never lost one."

Me too.
Old    jayp            05-23-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
I just got soft contacts a couple of weeks ago. I have been out five or six times with several faceplants "still my best trick" and I still had my contacts.

Your riding will definately improve once you can see.
Old    david427            05-24-2006, 6:30 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone, I'll try the soft contacts.
Old     (kolibri)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-24-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
riding for 5 years with corrected googles (6 diop) and helmet, no problems at all. just use googles with a soft border and a floating device on them. clean them an put antifog.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-24-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
I rode for awhile with soft contacts without any major problems. If anything, the extra water creates a suction. I got LASIK last year and will emphasize what has already been posted as some of the best money I've spent...............
Old    larryprints            05-24-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
I carry an extra pair in the boat just in case one falls out just in case. Like carrying a spare tire for your trailer. Good luck.
Old    murrayair            05-24-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
I've been been riding with soft contacts for around seven years and I've only lost one lense in that time. I sometimes carry a spare pair in the boat, but usually I don't worry about it.
Old     (kickasskel)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2006, 5:52 AM Reply   
Been riding with disp[osable contacts for over four year and I use them for every other sport in water or otherwise. Have had no problems with it yet and even the harshest face plant did not knock them out. I keep a spare pair with me just in case though.
Old    rokn_zj            05-25-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
I ride with contacts. I've only been riding for a year though and have already lost two, so I'm surprised to hear of some of you never having lost one.

It's not that big of deal though. I don't do any tricks aside from w2w so I can still ride with one contact in (it's a little odd, but doable), and then I have an old pair of glasses in the tow rig for the drive home.