Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (t8rtot)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-08-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
i have a guy i ride with that just got a new 230 super air natique and he thinks that loading the tanks all the way up and putting that little plate all the way down (still don't believe it does anything as far as wake shaping) and to be honest i hate it...its way too steep for my taste...i ask him if he'll take some weight out just to make the wake just a bit more mellow..he says that he won't and that if i want him to i'd have to give him a reason - any ideas?

also if he does eventually crack...does anybody have any recomendations on which tanks to fill and to what point for a good wake?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
The 230/236 loaded is the best wake in the market IMO... don't change the wake... change your riding.

Just my $0.02
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-08-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
That's a tough one... I mean it's his boat and if he likes the wake the way it is I think he should be entitled to rock it out the way he wants.

Maybe try and get him to throw an additional sac up in the bow. It might help mellow the wake some and you can sneak it past him because you're asking for more weight.

At the end of the day though, it's a boat to ride behind, be happy.
Old    murrayair            05-08-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
Why won't he change the weight for you? All you have to do if flip a couple of switches while you're putting your board on. What more reason does he need other than than "The wake doesn't fit my riding style."? The whole purpose of having automatic ballast and a wake plate is so that you can adjust the wake to each rider's individual preference. Sounds like kind of a jerk to me.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-08-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
SLAM IT! Put More Sacs in it. Make that wake a BEAST. The 230/236 can have a monster wake, its a bit hard but it can be massive.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-08-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
Personal Quote: GO BIG!!!! ALWAYS!

You sure you want the wake more mellow???
Old     (t8rtot)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-08-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
yea that is totally understandable for me...i do understand it is his boat and i'm very very grateful that he lets me ride (everytime i offer to pay for gas he refuses and usually buys us lunch/dinner afterwards...i just dont like the wake...however, as mentioned it is only a few switches that you have to flip to make every tank empty to half...so the sac in the front will help in the bow?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
CC's typically respond well to bow weight from my experience.... however I'm not sure that "more weight" is the answer to your problem.... but I love the idea ;)

Brandon... I noticed the same thing... ironic huh?
Old     (t8rtot)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-08-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
well even like a couple hundred pounds in the front would tame it down a bit wouldn't it? haha i could tell him to take some out of the belly and add the sac in the front and say it makes it better lol
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-08-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
Wow never heard anyone complain about the 230 wake being to steep, best wake in the Biz IMO.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-08-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
If he won't change it, tell him to put the plate about half way instead of all the way down and tell the biggest people in the boat to go sit in the bow. that'll take care of him not wanting to add or remove ballast.
Old     (t8rtot)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-08-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
what does the plate do in the middle?
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-08-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
Taylor... I've coached for three years and had to deal with this subject daily... It depends on your ability level... if you're still trying to learn basics 180's wake jumps all the way to a few inverts and spins. You DO NOT need a slammed wake. It will actually make learning more difficult as you will go higher and take some serious falls. If on the other hand you are starting to learn some mobes... step it up and take some time to get used to the wake and you'll be fine.

The plate in the middle came from their ski boats... It just makes the bow go up or down a little bit... which rounds off the wake when it's forward or makes it a little rampier when it's back... and it only changes it a little bit. Only filling the sacs half sounds like it would be more beneficial to you and help your riding progress.
Old     (t8rtot)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-08-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
yea i wish he would only fill them up to half...i've ridden with it like that and absolutely love it...he just thinks that you have to edge in and the wake is what pops you up (in his mind the bigger the wake the more the pop) i wish he would see this but o well...some of the other guys that ride with him complain about it too and so i think we're just gonna tell him all at once lol
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
The fact that this is even being discussed is blowing my mind a little.

I would give a testicle to science to be able to ride behind a slammed 230 every day....unbelievable.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
All I'm going to say is that the wake behind the 230 at the Wake Games is the best wake I have EVER ridden behind. When talking with Travis Moye after last year's event, he mentioned that they had something like 4000lbs in it. Don't know just how much it was, but it was just plain SICK! It had the perfect blend of steep and transition, not to mention f'ing big!

I had to adjust my riding style to the wake because I was landing waaay out in the flats on everything that through. My knees just can't keep up that abuse. I had to drift in on everything and I still booted.

Just change your habits behind the boat. It will make you a better rider anyway.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-08-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Luke, hahahahahaaha I just cracked up. And as for your quote, as would I. It's the 230 that's the flagship now, right? Or is it the 236? Which one are they running at OWC? I honestly have always thought they were the same boat. I just thought people were accidently calling their 230's, 236's.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Just the tanks...

Put some more sacks in there and lead that thing up!
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Taylor, believe it or not that little plate makes a big difference. Just tell him to put it on "ramp" instead of "vert" and it will take most of the lip off the wake so it wont boot you as hard. It'll also give it more of a transition. It takes all of 2 seconds to make that adjustment, so I doubt he'll be opposed to it. But I agree with everyone else, I would just ride the loaded 230 as is.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-08-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Yes the super air 230 is Nautiques Flagship boat.
The 236 is in Nautiques Crossover Family.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-08-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
My guess is that you are used to riding behind your Mastercraft (a little more rampy wake) and when you go out with the guy who owns the SAN 230 you do not ride as good...

This used to happen to me all of the time. I was used to riding behind a fully weighted 2001 SAN 210 (one of the steepest wakes ever) and anytime I would go riding with a ramp style wake (example - mastercraft) I would do horribly. I would blame it on the boat and the way the boat was weighted (like a winny little kid)...

I eventually grew up and I learned that to be a good wakeboarder, I needed to learn how to ride behind all types of wakes (steep and rampy).

Take this opportunity to learn how to ride behind a different wake, and it will eventually make you a better rider, even if your riding suffers at the beginning.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-08-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
Jeff, thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought.
John, I don't think the boat is even "loaded". I am pretty sure he is just talking about factory ballast and the wake plate, but its good to hear it throws a decent stock wake . Not like I would ever buy a boat and only run stock ballast in it.
Old    K.B.C.            05-08-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
the 230 and 236 are the same boat. the super air 230 was called the 236 first. just different options
Old     (t8rtot)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-08-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
hahha no i don't ride behind a mastercraft...anymore hahah

i ride behind a malibu 23lsv and the SAN....i like the malibu's better but i don't get to ride with him as much...i'll figure something out
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-08-2009, 5:10 PM Reply   
I'll gladly take your place & It will free you up to ride behind the Bu...
Old     (t8rtot)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-08-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
haha guys i know it's prolly soundin like i'm complaining but i'm really not...i was just askin for ideas on how to make the wake more mellow...my friend said he won't take weight out unless i tell him where to take it out (he not gonna experiment) so i was lookin for opinions
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-08-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
I don't see what the big deal is with him not wanting to take any weight out. I mean start riding and hit the drain button for the rear tanks until you like it and give him the thumbs up how hard is that for him to do? Since he won't let u do that just say, ok for this set will u only fill the rear tanks half way and fill the belly and front all the way. If that's not mellow enough the next set just fill front and belly with non in the rear.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-09-2009, 2:27 AM Reply   
Taylor...
10 years ago we used to be able to do ALMOST ever trick there is behind Mastercraft Prostar 190's weighted out... Smaller than the wake an UNWEIGHTED Nautique now throws.... Depending on ability level it doesn't mean you need to have it weighted extra or sacked out with extra lead... It's like learning to hit a jump on a snowboard and going at a 40 ft gap vs. a mellow 10 ft table top... Yes many of you on this forum would kill to ride behind a 236 fully weighted... as would I now... I guarantee you will teach someone how to go wake to wake faster by using a smaller wake... then when they ACTUALLY know how to use their edge to create pop they will be able to ride a bigger wake and go large. Your friend is obviously holding you back from progressing and that sucks... not only do you not like riding with him as much but he's also burning more fuel than necessary while you ride... IF you ever come to the Seattle area I'll take you out with my friends and we'll load up the boats how YOU prefer it anytime.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-09-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
I see your point I guess, But you can't really say much whenever you're riding behind someone else's boat. You just need to learn to be more versatile. This year I've been alternating between my SAN210 and my buddies X2, I can definitely tell a difference between the two wakes but I like riding them both. Pros don't get picky at contests, they ride the wake as is. A good rule of thumb is to never get comfortable on any certain wake, Switch it up because it will make you a more well rounded rider.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-09-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Ask your buddy if you can ride first before he even fills the tanks. That's how we usually operate. If we take someone not that experienced with us, we let them ride first before we weight the boat. Then we add the weight and we ride and if the guy wants another ride after the boat is weighted, we empty the bags and let them give it another go and then we head back.

If you guys are just using stock ballast, I don't see the big deal for the guy not wanting to drop some of the weight. If you are using some extra sacs (as in our case), well that is a different story.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
What speed and what line length are you riding at Taylor?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-09-2009, 10:17 PM Reply   
You get free pulls... and then the dude buys you food after?

I would not say a thing.

If you are paying for gas, then you could expect him to set it up for you to your satisfaction...

Next time he refuses your gas money, tell him to take the money and drain the tanks to halfway for you.