Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    pdmoyes            05-30-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
What would similarly equipped boats (say 21ft. with 350 motor) use on gas between an DD and an IO? My thinking would be the DD would use less. What kind of gph does the 4.3 motor get on IO's?
Old     (655mac)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-30-2004, 5:53 PM Reply   
I don't know what the numbers are but it seems like my DD uses just a little more gas than our old 4.3 IO. Not enough more to matter considering the huge gains in performance. The 4.3 had to work hard all the time where the V8 is never strained.
Old    sunsetterlxi            05-30-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
Actually, you would think the Direct Drive would use more. It has a static hull where as the I/O is trimmable and you can reduce the amount of the boat's running surface as you go faster.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-30-2004, 10:37 PM Reply   
Paul, GPH is one of many things to think of.

Your first question: a towboat 350 hull is way more wet and will burn more fuel per mph (my 300 HP only gets us 43 mph). Second question: don't even think of a V-6 on a boat bigger than 19ft even though they're making 'em pretty strong nowadays.

Towboats are not for everybody, but there's a lot more to ownership than GPH. Ride, layout, safety, maintenance and oh yeah, wake/towing.

Towboats are pimp, but they are a compromise.
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       05-31-2004, 5:22 PM Reply   
a 4.3 v6 on 14gallon tank can take you 2 days with about 4-5 ppl all wakeboarding 2 WHOLE ****ing days trust me my friend has one
Old    ilovetrains            06-01-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
Well - my 20 ft I/O with a 350 uses burns about 20 gal on 6 hours mixed cruising and boarding.

My father in laws 18.5 I/O with a 3.0 4 banger does the same,but is slow as hell.

Meanwhile the MC 190 (DD of course)w/ 351 (go Ford) will use slightly more (25-30gal from the 40 tank)in the same time.

His neighbors V-drive malibu runs 30+ gals in the same time.

Even if you say the DD gets 15-20% worse, and the V gets 1/3 worse GPH, you are talking different worlds. People pay to ride the MC and Malibu by dropping 5's 10's and 20's in the cup holder on the way out for gas money.
Old    ag4ever            06-01-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
I tried wakeboarding behind my dad's outboard. Could not get me up. Did not have the power required. I kept asking for more till he had no more. I have never told my wife that in out SANTE. There is always more power than I need.BTW, I can ride and cruise all day on one tank (26 gal) if I keep the speeds reasonable. if I hot rod at full throttle, then I can see the gauge go down.