Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    hot4sun            02-03-2004, 1:10 PM Reply   
Ok, thanks for all the great information on the boats. Beings I was considering the Supra SSV and the Tige 24V I have to wonder if the Moomba XLV would satisfy my wants and needs (for wakeboarding). They are both from Skiers Choice so the quality should be identical. I did notice that I have to upgrade the carpet, engine, the wake boarding equipment and a few other things to make it like the Supra. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-03-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
sounds like it's time to demo
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-03-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
Dave,

If you opt for the Gravity Games edition, the Moomba comes nicely loaded. I was just at the boat show this weekend. If money were no object I would have taken the Malibu 23 LSV with Illusion tower, followed by the Moomba XLV Gravity Games. The Malibu was a SHOW PRICE of $62,000 (pimped out stereo, LCD screen, etc.). The tige 24V had a show price of $55,000. The GG XLV had a price of $40,834! If money is even remotely important, the XLV wins hands down. I've ridden behind the XLV and I currently ride a 2002 SSV and believe the wakes are VERY comparable. The XLV has a little more kick to it right at the top (it's like a cross between a Malibu wake and Nautique wake.) If I were in the market again today, I'd be going home with an XLV GG (be sure to get the hydraulic wake plate and the GG ballast sacks).

FWIW, given the new level of quality and wake that Moomba is producing with the XLV, I would not be at all surprised if Supra was working on something equally bar-changing for that brand to showcase what is possible when you design a wakeboarding boat from the ground up.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
The Supra SSV is a good boat, but it is in a much different size category compared to the XLV and the Tige 24v. If you want big, looking into the XLV is a good idea. Upgrades are necessary to make it more Supra-like, but you can get a really nice boat just the way you want it for a bargain, even with options.

It's demo time, definitely.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
The Supra SSV and Tige 24V are finished muh nicer than the XLV. The XLV is a price point boat. Lookk in the interior, very square pieces, etc. Looks very basic compared to the others you mentioned. The XLV is nice, but if you want a higher end finish and quality, look at the other two you mentioned.

By the way, you are not comparing apples to apples... so you have to test drive them to see to see and feel the differences.
Old    bambamski            02-04-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
I'd second what kyle says. The XLV has a very squared off interior and isn't as plush as the SSV. Price wise they look very close because the XLV is a couple of feet bigger.
Old    hot4sun            02-04-2004, 3:40 PM Reply   
I understand that the SSV is in a different category than the XLV and the 24V because of size and the SSV and 24V are in a different category than the XLV because of refinements. Hands down the 24V and the SSV have nicer interior detail than the XLV but they are more money. I drove the XLV last night to find that it performed quite well. I was not a huge fan of the interior as you mentioned or the gel coat patterns. But if I can save a few thousand compared to the SSV and more than a few compared to the 24V I just might do it. The XLV list for $36,995 and the SSV list for $43,995. That is $7K, granted you have to spend some of it to dress up the XLV. There is plenty of room so my question still is dealing with the quality of the wake. Also, the tower seemed to have a lot of side to side motion where the SSV and Samson on the Tige didn't. Is that a bad thing or is it normal.?

Thanks
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-05-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
When I rode behind an XLV, the wake was at least as good as my SSV's. Here are some pics I took from our session. Overall, I REALLY liked the way to boat performed. It accelerated easily with the 320 hp engine, it was solid, it handled well (but mostly we were on glass), and it threw a great wake.

You can get the tower on my SSV to move a little by pushing hard on it, and I've seen the same thing in several other waekboard boats. It never has been a factor that anyone commented on after riding, it doesn't rattle, and there are no stress cracks after two years. Tower movement wasn't a factor behind the XLV, either.

One thing about equipment. A Tige rep told me that the SynchroTech (?) option is a gear reduction transmission and that Tige V-drives come standard with no gear reduction. The SSV and XLV come with gear reduction V-drive units as standard equipment.
Old    hot4sun            02-05-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
Funny thing, the tower was shaking left to right in the boat as we went through a little chop to the point it was making some clanking noises. The sales person said it may need to be tightened down. I could move it without applying a lot of pressure, I think in part becasue it is so big.