Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    ryan_bailey            09-16-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
I have only been reading/posting here for a very short time but don't really ever see any posts about MB Sports. I have seen the one stupid thread here but other than that one why doesn't anyone talk about them? I have a '03 MB Sports 190 Plus and I am getting ready to trade up to a B-52. My MB Sports has been great with no problems. The graphics are in the gel unlike so many of the other boats I see here, the ballast and resulting wake is pretty damn good, storage is great, fit and finish is great, etc. etc. So what's the deal? Doesn't everyone want one of these?

The billet work has changed for '06 and there is also a really plain design available too I think. I am think I'm going with the red hull design above.

(Message edited by Ryan Bailey on September 16, 2005)
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Boat ownership is a very personal thing. People find a brand they like, as you obviously have, and they stick with it unless they has a bad ownership experience. I like my nautique, but would like to think I am open minded when it comes to other brands. I rode behind the 3 biggies in one weekend and was suprised at which one I enjoyed most that time out...though all were nice.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
I really agree with Eric, ownership ia a personal thing. My first wakeboard boat after 18 years with a Sea Ray was a direct drive Tige. After a few years when it was time to upgrade, I tested a few other boats and ended up with a Tige 22V. I love my boat and think that it is equal to others overall. But the dealer and my previous experience with them was a huge factor.

About 3-4 years ago I met Mike Brendell who owns MB Boats, at the boat show. He took the time to show me all of the fine details and differences in his boat. I was very impressed. He also explained that they only make so many each year and would never make more- that lets them keep away from a number of Calif. regulations that would make business expensive and painful. He has a niche, fills it well and makes a nice boat. He doesn't want to be the biggest, and told me he won't grow.

If you like it- go for it and enjoy it. Around here they used to be sold by Marine-Max, and that was a turn off.
Old    walt            09-16-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
I've ridden in and behind a few B-52 and think they are a fairly solid boat.

Here a few things that I didn't like.

#1 To much bow rise and it was slow to plane out. (21.5 ft. single speed tranny)
#2 Ballast tanks fill and drain slowly.
#3 The new tower looks great and is nice and tall but moves around to much for my taste.
I believe my friend said he is developing stress cracks in the gel coat from it.
#4 If been in several B-52's and the rubber boot around the steering wheel seems to come off on most of them.
#5 The wake was a little wide for my taste.

Things that I really liked.
#1 The graphics are in the Gel coat.
#2 plenty of room and storage.
#3 The boat comes with a lot standard features that other manufactures charge extra for.
#4 Great warranty
#5 the trailer seemed solid un like some others I've seen out there.
#6 Great boat cover !
#7 Nice ride in chop.

I also liked the 23ft. much better than the 21.5...It plained out great and the wake seemed bigger to me.
Old    ryan_bailey            09-16-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
Anyone stereo guys have any comments about wiring? I have installed stereos in two MB Sports boats and a couple of boats from other builders. The wiring seems super clean on the MB's compared to some of the others.
Old    walt            09-16-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
Marine-Max no longer sells Mb in Ca.
Old    walt            09-16-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
One of the best sounding stereo's I've heard was in John's B-52.
It was a supper clean set up !
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-16-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
I have an 05 B52 Team Edition. The boat is great. Fit and finish is good, nice wake. All the stuff that every boat owner says about their make of boat. My only issue is a warranty item. My ballast gauge broke over two months ago and I can not seem to get one. I have called the dealer I bought it from a dozen times, which is over a 5 hour drive for me, and am being told that the gauge manufacturer has not gotten back to them. I called another MB dealer and they said they won't touch it because I didn't buy it from them. So I called a third MB dealer who said he would fix it but since I didn't buy the boat from them I could drop it off and they would fix it when they had some free time. It's not that I can't fix it but it is a warranty item and I can't even seem to get the gauge. Other than that, I have not had any problems with the boat. All my buddies who have other brands of boats love to ride in it.
Old    walt            09-16-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
John's B-52.

Old    ryan_bailey            09-16-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
Yes, I like John's boat very much and am even thinking about buying it if it's still around when I'm ready.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-16-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
John Boy you should call Mike B. He'll set it straight.
Old    ryan_bailey            09-16-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Just call Melanie at the office, she seems to know how to get things done. I got a replacement gauge from a place in Orem, UT, they were really nice to me.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-16-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
walt... was that pic taken at don pedro at spring ride??? yep it was... we had the all red 05 x2
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-16-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
i like mb. my dad had a bredella hydro in the 80s and said the quality was the best, so i can only assume that's the same.

IIRC, the ballast system has undergone some redesign. now it is possible to dump the water like the calabria purevert system, but not fill it like that. or something like that.

i like the narrow beam, 2 speed tranny, etc, but it still needs more hp possibly the 8.1 python.

Old    jayp            09-16-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
There is nothing wrong with a B-52. I have ridden behind one and the wake is good. I like the X-2 wake better but I don't have any complaints about the B-52. I thought it was a good boat.

Old     (shoe4hire)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-20-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
It is all a personal choice. I really liked the MB so I bought one. It had the things I wanted in a boat ( Storage, built-in hard ballast tanks, color combo, warrenty, and a great local dealer) I agree that there are some downsides ( Slow to fill tanks, slow to plane will full ballast) But that is why I have ordered a 06 23'. Those are not issues with that model. I really have enjoyed owning a MB and I would tell anyone to take a hard look at them if you are looking for a new boat.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2005, 8:36 PM Reply   
MB is awesome. I had been trying to get a ballast gauge from the dealer I bought the boat from and kept getting the run around. I received an e-mail from Mike & Jay from MB the very next day after I posted my warranty issue on wakeworld. I called them and I had the gauge the next day on my front porch. This was fully the fault of the selling dealer and not MB Sports. It's obvious that MB stands behind their boats. Mike and Jay thanks! As always-Board More/Work Less!
John$
Old    ryan_bailey            09-21-2005, 9:18 PM Reply   
Ask them if they know of a dealership where I can trade my '03 190 Plus in at. The new local dealership in Surprise, AZ doesn't have the space for it. It's the only thing stopping me from upgrading. Troy, the salesman there, is getting some boats this month. I really want to buy a boat locally and not from a dealer in UT.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-21-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
there's mb in elsinore, not way too far from phoenix...
Old    ryan_bailey            09-22-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
I'll have to check them out. The dealer in Orem was very nice to me but it was just so far away. Anyone have any good interior pics of the new '06 billet work?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-22-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
here's a few pics...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/252303.html?1125758249
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-22-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
MB's are sic. I had a 2000 190 plus for my first boat and did not have one problem in 2 years of ownership. The boats are quality hands down.

My friend just got the '06 V23 and it is sic!
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-27-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
My local MB dealer got in contact with me after reading my post and said they would be more then happy to due any future warranty work on my B52. There was some mis-communication on my part. My bad. Sorry for that.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old    justsomeguy            09-27-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
The Sporting Edge is a great dealer, as you have discovered.