Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-17-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
why don't engine manufacturers put an extra drain plug on the engine block with a valve so you don't have to remove the knock sensors to drain the engine block?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Most do!
Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-17-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Is there a way to drain the block without removing the knock sensors in an '08 monsoon?
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-17-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
That is exactly what i am asking, since they put a knock sensor where the older valve was.

FOr those ppl that keep their boats in the water late in the season, and drain the block every night, i could be a pain. What happens if you mount the knock sensor to somethign else and put a valve in that hole?
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-17-2008, 11:36 PM Reply   
I just drained my 08 Monsoon today for the first time. There's a 1/2" nut that holds a the knock sensor on and then the plug is gonna need a 1" wrench or socket if I remember correctly.

The 1/2" nut was so tight on the one side that the drain plug came out attached to everything (really not a problem, less work). On the other side, I removed the 1/2" nut, then the plug.

The housing the sensor plug goes into is almost like a really thick washer.

As long as you don't pull, wiggle, or try to unclip the the plastic plug portion of the sensor the wrong way, it should be hard to do any damage to the sensor.

Hope this helps.
Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-22-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
why don't they put a second valve to drain the block instead of having to remove the knock sensors
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-22-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
You do not want to mess with the knock sensors. They must be torqued to spec and are easily damaged. Read the TSB's or any tech article regarding knock sensors to understand more.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-22-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
Peter, how do you drain the water without removing the knock sensor, I've had Indmar and PCM v-drives both said to remove the knock sensor.