Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-16-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
My little boarder started riding with me on my board last month. He wraps his arms around my knees while getting up and then he holds my right arm as we ride. We can do some minor jumps and surface 180s. I have some traction pads between my bindings which keep him from slipping. QUESTION. who builds a board and bindings for little guys? What size is the smallest out there? I want him riding his own by the end of the year

Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-16-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
Hyperlite Motive 119, you may want to try the bindings on before you buy them, but Hyperlite Spins may be good also
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-16-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
Skireel that is sweet!
My son started riding this year and is doing great. He is on his own now on start ups and loves his board. He is 6 now so a little older than your boy however the Motive 119 that (slipknot)is talking about is a great bord to start him on. The problem that you are going to have however is getting him to be able to flip the board back over if he goes over the top of the board. What I mean by that is sometimes when I pull my son out i give a little to hard of a pull and he comes over the board and is laying on his stomach in the water. When u get a little one in this position it is difficult for them to get the borad back over to their back starting position. I started my son on the shoreline and taught him how to grab the board to help him flip it in the water before he went out.
Now he is riding for about 30 min runs it is great.
Good luck and keep em boarding.

Riding at Bullards Bar
Old    turtle            08-16-2003, 8:05 PM Reply   
Hey Ski Reel, I have a complete kids set up. Super small bindings.....Email me and maybe you can check it out. I live in Kingwood.

jdfugler@earthlink.net
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-18-2003, 5:35 AM Reply   
That's great. Kids love it. My 3 year old daughter boards with me as well. She wears her water shoes (with the sticky bottoms) and that keeps her from slipping on my board. That way, I don't have to add any grip to my board.

Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-18-2003, 8:09 AM Reply   
That is cool. She actually holds on to the handle with you huh? I thought about adding a wakesurfing handle to the mainline so that he has his own to hang on to. Any idea on what board you may use for her?
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
My 6 year old has the 119 motive with spins. Works perfect. I started him the same way, between my legs. My 3 year old is also riding between my legs. Problem is dad cant go as long as the kid wants! Props to my bud Nick for mocking up the cover.
Old    pearlywhites            08-18-2003, 10:33 AM Reply   
our youngest had a hard time getting up on her older sisters board. a friend of ours suggested making her a board out of a wakeskate. my husband screwed extra small boots on it, she is now up and riding. plus side is you can just unscrew the boots and use the wakeskate too.
Old    tig            08-18-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
Another vote for the Motive 119. I just got my six year old his own board and bindings (small ultra sucs). He used his sister's 124 voyager. He sort of wrestled with the weight when getting in position. The Motive was a lot lighter.
Little boarder
Old    own3r            08-18-2003, 12:45 PM Reply   
im lookin for a board for my 10 year old brother.. hes been riding my 136 cwb prodigy for about 2 seasons now and i think he would do better with a board more his size.. hes only about 90 lbs and can jump the wake and do 180's on my board.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-18-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
Skireel, she actually does hold onto the handle. Most of the time, I hold her with my knees.....one time, I actually let go with me knees by accident. I looked down and she was hanging 3" off the board in the air......she has a pretty good grip.

Don't know when she'll get the courage to try boarding alone........probably going to be next year since it's so late in the season. She'll probably end up using her brother's CWB and he'll probably move up to another board.....just depends... If it was her choice, she'd want a pink board.

Old     (peeejay)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
motive 119 and small highbacks
been boarding for a month!
Old     (peeejay)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2003, 5:05 PM Reply   
1 month before
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-18-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
Pj you ride Melones? I think I have seen you there before? If so we should hook up and let the kids ride.
Old     (peeejay)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-19-2003, 12:16 AM Reply   
will do ive got 10 yr old ripper also
this is what we ride behind

also my wife is 2 cm from clearing the wake.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-20-2003, 9:19 PM Reply   
Sweet!! My wife is just starting to ride she is learning to edge now nothing big. We will probably be out at Melones this Sunday. If you are arround look for my X2.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-20-2003, 9:29 PM Reply   
I just got up with my 13 month old in my arm at Lake Mohave this weekend. My buddy didn't get a photo on the digi cam but I have about 30 seconds of video I will try to pull a still from.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-21-2003, 7:07 AM Reply   
Here is is off the Video Camera. Not that great quality.

Lilly baording
Lilly barding Wide shot
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-21-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
What happens when you fall forward? My only fear is that they would get caught up with the board or me. I know you are not doing much but it is still a possibility.
Old    leslisa            08-21-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
I think it is great that all of these little guys are getting started. This is a pic from my little guys first lesson. He is 4 yo (turns 5 this week).
First or second lesson
Old     (peeejay)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-22-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
i would let go and hold my son above my head so when i sank he would be at the highest point.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-22-2003, 7:15 AM Reply   
When I posted on my little ripper riding shotgun with me, I never imagined that there were this many creative parents out there. I have see and heard about some realy progressive teaching methods. Let's all toast on the next generation of riders!