Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-01-2005, 6:37 AM Reply   
I am hovering north of Louisiana just waiting to be deployed to assist the insurance industry with the evaluations of the tremendous damage caused by Katrina.

Here I am, intently and intensely watching the news and to my surprise, I see an aerial shot of what appeared to be a towered nautique cruising the waters with several disheveled people inside.

Then, I hear the broadcaster announce that they are asking for anyone that has a boat and can assist in the search and rescue of stranded persons, to please come forward. Wherein the next shot is of a well-equipped MasterCraft lining up to enter the toxic, debris laden and obstacle punctuated water.

Selfless gestures like this represents the best in humanity and makes me proud to be part of wakeboarding community.

Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-01-2005, 7:21 AM Reply   
I love to read threads like this. It was just last year that we were out boarding in the bay where we board just off the river when another boat comes roaring up to us and asks us to help them find a man who had just went down under the water. His daughter had gotten pulled off shore on an inflatable mattress due to the offshore wind. He saved her but he couldn't help himself. So we ripped the gear off the rider and started a grid search to find the downed man. To make a long story short, we assisted the police and fire crew until the search diver entered the water, due to him being in the water we had to shut the engines off. Sad ending, they found him the next day. But if anyone ever has any troubles in or on the water, I find that the wakeboarding community is always willing to help in any way possible. Not sure if it's just good natured people that tend to gather in our community, but it sure feels good when you can lend a helping hand.

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-01-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
bravo!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-01-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
Since the hurricane destroyed our boat, we might be getting a new one.....Im from slidell, LA and the hurricane went straight through our town. Im in college right now, but I doubt our house withstood anything.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
Good to hear you are healthy Leo.

How bad is Slidell? I have several friends from there.

Did Mandeville get alot of damage as well?
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-01-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Leo, hope it all works out in the end for you and your family/freinds/crew. Glad to hear you are ok.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-01-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
Leo I was thinking about how you were doing. Glad to hear you're ok.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-01-2005, 10:37 AM Reply   
Yeah this news is great, because I am very f'ing tired of hearing/watching news of looting, shooting at cops/military/aid workers....

However they all have to watch out, it's getting crazy down there!! You've got people trying to help others out and they are getting car-jacked, shot, and robbed..

Some guy shot his sister in the head JUST FOR A BAG OF ICE!!!
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-01-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
I was hearing stories of gang fights breaking out in the superdome... what are people thinking
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-01-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
Yea, New Orleans is always a riot during floods. But with conditions as bad as the superdome, you know fights and guns were going to be let loose. I am fine at Texas A&M. Haven't ridden in like 3 weeks. Might not wakeboard again with gas prices. I might stick to the wakeskate or just riding without ballast. My dad said our boat is probably destroyed, so he said we would upgrade, but I don't know if that is a smart move with the oil problem.