Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (rickreeves1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-05-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
I want to get a board for this summer. I've never wakeboarded before. I have only ski'd and kneeboarded. I'm looking for a cheap board to learn and see how I like it. I can upgrade to a better board later on if I get hooked. I have two jet ski's and a ski boat to learn with. My top picks so far are the joyride boards. I'm looking at the Hooligan, Dome, and Aqua Love. Which one would you pick? I found them for about $120 shipped each.

Thanks
Old     (neller0414)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
if i were you, i would just find a used one on ebay or local or on classys here for similar price, because any decent used board is gonna be lightyears ahead of a brand new board that costs 120 shipped...i mean you will be fine on a board like that just learning, but after a few runs once you get up you will want a new board, why waste the money, you wont get any resale outta them. my local boardshop has last year boards and bindings for cheap, i know you can get a nice setup for under 200, i bet a basic setup would be cheap. look around first, and try and find something decent in your price range or else you will spend more in the long run.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
http://www.evogear.com/outlet/wakeboards/liquid-force-synergy-wakeboard-element-boots-2006.aspx

This is a good beginner setup. Don't go with joyride boards!!
Old     (rickreeves1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-05-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
Maybe I should think about this some more then. I can afford to throw away $120 if it doesn't work out or at least resell on ebay. $250 is a bit much, but that does look like a really nice setup. I'll have to think about that one, thanks for the link. What are the main problems with the joyride boards? I was looking to stick to around $100 because I just spent a bunch of $ on two jet ski's I bought. The joyride boards got really good reviews in the review section. Especially the dome, hooligan, and aqua love. I've been looking on ebay and in board classifieds but havn't seen much.

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions so far.

(Message edited by rickreeves1 on June 05, 2007)
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-05-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
What do you mean "If it doesn't work out"? It is a tool, not a girlfriend. You can quit for free right now. Don't buy any board. If you want to spend $120 to see if you like it, go put a post in the find a third section offering $120 in gas money for lessons. Or check with some of your local shops for lessons. It is not a cheap and easy hobby. My board and bindings were a small expense, compared to the lake house, boat and gas.

My dad always told me "If you are going to do something, do it right." Here is my beginners board.
Upload

Commit or quit!
Old     (rickreeves1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-05-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
I'm not looking to go pro here, just have some fun out on the lake. I've wasted lot's of money over the years on dumb ideas, loosing interest, or not having the time for things. I'm sure yall can relate. I should be able to get up and go for a ride without lessons. That's about all I'm looking to do for now. Will I need an expensive board to do this? The original price on those boards was $350 but they have been discontinued. See links below. The first time I got up on ski's I was about 12 and it was my first time out. I took to it very well. I'll leave the hard tricks to professionals like you guys. I posted to get some opinions on those boards and to introduce myself. Why do you think they had good reviews if they are no good? Has anyone ridden or owned one? Will they break easy? I do like that setup WaksetterLSV posted. If I go with it, I'll just have to cut back on the auto funds or stay home a weekend or two. I have another question. What size board should I get in cm. I am 5'11". I'm not sure on weight, probably 150-160lbs. I will probably let a few others ride also that weigh the same or more.

Thanks again for all the advice

Links to boards
http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard4.asp?ProductID=1575

http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard4.asp?ProductID=1574

http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard4.asp?ProductID=1576

(Message edited by rickreeves1 on June 05, 2007)
Old     (singapore_sling)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
Atleast get that $250 board. Getting up should take a day...and after that you're going to want to do more than just cut. If you get a cheap board you're going to be limited by it almost instantly. Especially if you already have a ski boat I dunno why you wouldn't just see it as an investment and get something you can have for a while.
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-05-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
Your bindings are just as important. My family has the Factions on two boards and everyone that has used them loves them. You can get them in a package with one of their decent boards (Pure or Kink) for $400-$450. The smaller board should be your best choice, but if other heavier people are going to use it then you may want the bigger one. For a little more money you can get the Faction, Transcend, Marius, or Absolute. The Faction is a very good all around board and is the cheapest of that group. I would have bought it, except I hated the colors/graphics. I think the Transcend is the LEAST beginner friendly of the group. I will never be more than an average rider myself, I am too old (and have too many bills) to attempt certain tricks, but that does not mean I need to ride with poorly designed equipment. The lessons comment had no basis on your abilities. It can be a good way to try a couple boards and make use of your valuable "free" time.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
You should get a board in the 136-138 size range
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-05-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
What kevin said (except for how he wouldn't buy the faction because of the graphics lol!) I am not saying for you to go out and buy a 500$ CWB set up but keep in mind that once you master the art of getting up, you will want to have some bindings that will not kill your feet not some dirt cheap all rubber hydroslides (like my first bindings)...When I first wanted to try wakeboarding I went out and spent 100 bucks at sportsmart for some POS hydroslide with some POS bindings. I ended up falling in love with the sport and quickly realized I needed better equipment. No less than a month into it I bought a hyperlite motive with split bindings for 300 bucks, this was a perfect set up to learn on and would reccomend to you that rather than spending 120 bucks for a POS set up, spend the extra 100-150 for a solid set up you will be able to progress on.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-05-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
btw kevinL...after reading your post I was inspired to view your profile, you have a sweet Bu I like the color scheme!
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-06-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
Thanks, Nick.
Old     (liquidforce1338)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
07 substance great board for a wake-to-wake rider with so much pop losts of speed doesnt catch at all idk about for sliders but its a great board if your looking to advace your riding just the landings are prob not the best but there still good.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
Man, go with what you can afford. Only you know your current situation. Do cheaper boards suck? Yes. Are bindings important? Yes. But most of all is not wasting money on something you may not use often. You can get used boards off here and ebay, which would also be a good option to get a better board for less money. With having jet skis, I'd actually recommend getting the cheapest board available, learning the basics, and then getting a wakeskate (which is cheaper) and riding that behind your jet skis. Have fun no matter what you do.