Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-12-2012, 1:42 AM Reply   
I am looking to buy my first boat and need some advice. I really love the SAN 230 but have also spent some time looking at the Malibu 23 SLV. From the little I've researched, Nautique seems to be a great boat, but on the pricey end.

I would like to keep the cost in the 60k-65k range.

I just found a 2009 SAN 230 TE with low hours for $68,000. I could probably find a newer Malibu 23SLV in the same price range.

Am I better off buying a newer Malibu or looking for a little older Nautique?

Right now I am biased toward the Nautique, but perhaps I shouldn't be. The higher prices of the Nautiques make me naturally think they are a better boat, but that may be erroneous.

Please share any opinions that might help steer me in the right direction. I know everyone has their own biases, but any advice would be helpful.

Thank you!
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-12-2012, 4:39 AM Reply   
On the 230 TE, what do you consider low hours?

I am a 2009 230 TE owner and I love the boat. But I will say that no one on here will be able to tell you which route to go - it is a call that you are going to have to make.

My buddy has a Malibu 23 LSV and he loves his boat. We ride on both of them and they are both quality boats and both can have great wakes.

Its really up to you as to what but you are feeling.

Which boat is more quality?
Which boat has a better wake?
Which boat is more functional?

There is no absolute answer to any of those. Those questions will just generate a lot of banter until people are blue in the face. In short, they are both great quality, can both have great wakes and are both very functional.

Whatever you do, when spending 60Kish on a boat, don't go with a boat that is a couple thousand less if it isn't the one you want. The last thing you want to end up with is buyers remorse after making that large purchase. Been there, done that in the past.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2012, 4:46 AM Reply   
If i were you i would make sure i demoed both boats fully.Then make a plus list for both and decide which one works best for you.Both boats are excellent choices so you can't go wrong unless you don't demo either and don't like the way one rides or functions after you bought it.Good luck.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-12-2012, 5:11 AM Reply   
Which is better Chevy or Ford , Mercedes or BMW? Its all in the eyes of the buyer. I am biest as most of the members here so all I will say is . Take your time, at that price level there are a lot of good boats out there . Demo, Demo,Demo drive and ride them all . The time is now to find any weaknesses or draw backs. If you normally take 10 people out then take them on the demo. Do your homework check for things like known service issues , resale and dealer service. All the top boats are good to find the best ,that is only in your head. Its been 3 years now for me and I still Love what I have . I hope you can say the same in 3 more years.
Good Luck
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-12-2012, 5:15 AM Reply   
Wow, with that budget you should really consider a _______________ j/k

As far as quality goes both of those brands are considered part of the "Big 3".

Last edited by wakereviews; 04-12-2012 at 5:15 AM. Reason: ....
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-12-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
Personally I would take a new LSV over a used SAN230 10 out of 10 times. I would probably take the LSV over the SAN230 if they were both new and close to the same price let alone a new LSV vs a used SAN. That said, where in the hell are you finding new LSV's for under or close to 70k? the dealer in Seattle wants 90k plus for a 23LSV I think.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-12-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Personally I would take a new LSV over a used SAN230 10 out of 10 times. I would probably take the LSV over the SAN230 if they were both new and close to the same price let alone a new LSV vs a used SAN. That said, where in the hell are you finding new LSV's for under or close to 70k? the dealer in Seattle wants 90k plus for a 23LSV I think.
in his post - he said newer. not new. post title misleading. Assuming he's talking 10/11 still used, just newer.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-12-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
in his post - he said newer. not new. post title misleading. Assuming he's talking 10/11 still used, just newer.
Didn't see newer. Either way I would choose the LSV over the SAN even if they were a similar price and the same year.

I guess I should explain myself though. I like the interior much better in the LSV. I much prefer the simiple wrap around and comfier cushions. By all accounts the stock wake is much better on the LSV stock with the quad ballast and wedge. It will also be easier to tune the wake as well as keep it clean and mellow for begineers. I like the styling of the Malibu better. The interior room is pretty similar. The storage is probably a little more in the SAN but 95% fo riders won't need any extra ballast bags in teh LSV where more advanced riders might want more then the small stock amount that comes stock in the SAN. Obviously the looks and interior layout is personal preference but I just feel the LSV is a much more comfortable boat to be and and hang out on. Both are going to have good build quality, use quality materials, have great followings, use great motors, etc...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-12-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
The title of this thread is misleading. It implies you can get a brand new LSV in the $60's. But then the text of the first post say's he's comparing a 2009 230 to a "newer" LSV.

This is really an easy decision... demo both boats on the same day. Then go home and crawl into bed. Which one keeps you up that night? There's your answer.

A purchase like this is a luxury. Does it really matter if one is $5K more than the other? As long as it's a luxury, make sure you pick the one that lights your fire. Usually after a few demos, the answer becomes clear. Everybody is different. Follow your heart, not your brain.

I will just say this... unless you are a pro rider and super picky about a particular wake shape, both these boats will be great from that perspective (Most will tell you that Nautique is steeper while Malibu is more gradual or rampy). Neither of them got the reputations they have by designing inferior wakes. Lots of pros ride behind both of these boats. But the interiors of these boats are night and day different. And that is where you will spend 90% of your time with your family and friends. People on WW like to make it all about the wake. I'm different. I think I could like the wake behind a lot of different boats (as long as it's clean). But the interior of the boat is the primary user interface, so make sure you like it (storage, dash, stereo, speed control, look, feel,ergonomics, comfort, etc.).

Finally, if you like to surf I recommend you go ask this same "which boat" question on the wakesurf forum. Those guys don't come over here very often, so alot of the surf specific questions/answers about boats are over there (often with pics and setup details).
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2012, 7:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
The title of this thread is misleading. It implies you can get a brand new LSV in the $60's. But then the text of the first post say's he's comparing a 2009 230 to a "newer" LSV.

This is really an easy decision... demo both boats on the same day. Then go home and crawl into bed. Which one keeps you up that night? There's your answer.

A purchase like this is a luxury. Does it really matter if one is $5K more than the other? As long as it's a luxury, make sure you pick the one that lights your fire. Usually after a few demos, the answer becomes clear. Everybody is different. Follow your heart, not your brain.

I will just say this... unless you are a pro rider and super picky about a particular wake shape, both these boats will be great from that perspective (Most will tell you that Nautique is steeper while Malibu is more gradual or rampy). Neither of them got the reputations they have by designing inferior wakes. Lots of pros ride behind both of these boats. But the interiors of these boats are night and day different. And that is where you will spend 90% of your time with your family and friends. People on WW like to make it all about the wake. I'm different. I think I could like the wake behind a lot of different boats (as long as it's clean). But the interior of the boat is the primary user interface, so make sure you like it (storage, dash, stereo, speed control, look, feel,ergonomics, comfort, etc.).

Finally, if you like to surf I recommend you go ask this same "which boat" question on the wakesurf forum. Those guys don't come over here very often, so alot of the surf specific questions/answers about boats are over there (often with pics and setup details).
so, should i feel really good if I can get a new lsv in the $60's? Please help me convince the wife because the offer is out there.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-12-2012, 8:01 PM Reply   
New LSV in the 60's=smoking deal.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-12-2012, 9:18 PM Reply   
No kidding, where is a new LSV in the 60's?
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-12-2012, 9:23 PM Reply   
Thank you all for the comments and advice...it is helpful. I realized when I posed the question that it would really be a matter of personal opinion, but I still like to hear other's opinions. There are often things that I haven't thought about until someone points it out.

Sorry if I mislead with my post title. To clarify, the dealer I was just working with had the new LSV at around $79K. MSRP around $90K. They did have a 2011 in the 60's, which is where we would look. Used, but still newer than the SAN.

I am not a professional rider, but I like to hit it hard and can hold my own. Thus, I care about a great wake. I also have a family and want a big comfortable boat for enjoying the time on the water. Both the SAN and LSV seem like they will fit the bill.

I will continue to research, shop, and take my time so that I will be happy.

One question on demoing...what is the best way to do that? Do I set something up with the dealer?

Thanks again for the comments
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-12-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
I would try and setup a time with the dealer wher eyou and the family could spend a couple hours in the boat and try to mimick as best as possible how you would normally use the boat. Keep in mind that saturday is the best sales day for boat sales and spending half of the best sales day of the week away from the sales floor might not be super appealing to the salesperson.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-12-2012, 9:46 PM Reply   
Yes feel really really good