Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-04-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Well Partly due to the fact that I have been spoiled for the past 8 yrs of usually having the morning water to myself I guess this is why it burns me so much. Down at the lake I ride on Lake Shelbyville in Illinois there is another boat that has shown up on a regular basis this year. The boat is a sweet looking 04-05ish tricked out 205V pretty much with every option. He even has speaker socks and rack socks. It's black with white top deck and white hull. Very classy on the water. Though never seen a wakeboard in the racks or anyone wakeboarding behind it.

Well they have been hitting the early morning sessions and basically just tearing up the water beyond belief. They drive in s bends while pulling skiers and whip huge powerturns every time a skier/rider falls. Never run a "line" They are everywhere. Leaves the butta I have grown to love looking like a washing machine sending rollers up and down the finger we ride on. They are def having fun towing their little kids, always taking pictures and cheering. However it's destroying the water. I would wait for them to stop, but the little ones that are waterskiing are marathon setters and they go for 30-45min a set. It's ridiculous. It's mainly an older gentleman with blonde hair driving so it looks like it may be grandpa's boat which the whole family enjoys which is awesome. But again the first time they showed up they parked their houseboat in the middle of the cove/finger so we knew it was trouble and then gave us dirty looks as we cruised by back and forth.

I would def love to inform him on th eP's and Q's of how to drive to create water for all of us to enjoy. Again I know they are just having fun, but at this point their fun is cutting others short so to speak.

I thought about cruising over and doing some small talk like hey welcome down here, been seeing you all alot where you from, love your MC color scheme. Yadda yadda. But can't seem to get the transition to "well you know those powerturns are killing the water and those non straight lines you all drive are driving us nuts" Here is my toned down version "I know you all love the calm water just as much as us or you wouldn't be out here this early. It's great to see another family enjoying the water as much as us especially in an MC. The way you go and pick up your fallen rider though sends rollers up and down this finger/cove. It also sends them right at the fallen rider. It actually takes longer to pick up your fallen rider by doing that. If you just pull back on the throttle and give the wheel a slight turn to the right after the rider falls the rollers will pass and you can idle back to your rider much safer as the fallen rider is in the driver's view at all times by turning to the right and also won't send huge rollers everywhere. Also if you all drive in a straight line the waves produced by the boat will go straight into shore and will disappear rather than bumping into other and creating a bigger one. I know this is a public lake , but just thought those few tips would make the water much more enjoyable for the both of us."

Feel free to fire away. Maybe I am wrong for even being pissed, but again been spoiled by usually being the only boat out there. Also just don't want to come off like a Jag. They are just trying to have as much fun as us. I guess we just take are riding a little more seriously.
Anbody know who this may be either? If so can you please give them a few tips. or direct them to this post.

Thanks.

Sorry just had to rant. Had a couple of peopel down there trying to clear the wake for their first time and they were getting killed by this guy's rollers.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-04-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
I had a very similar story there were only 2 of us on the lake and it was all glass. He was an older gentleman pulling a couple of kids on tubes. I pulled up beside him while he was stopped and just explained that it makes it a lot easier to wakeboard it the water is smooth. Then I asked if he minded picking an end of the lake and we would go to the other end. In my case the guy was really cool about it. He said that we could pick the end since he would rather have rough water anyways.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-04-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
If they are regulars, I would def. say something. One way to do it is to invite them on your boat and show them how to drive and casually say things like, "I like to pick up fallen riders this way because......." and if they are reasonably intelligent and have any sense of community they will pick up on it. Or you could be more direct and introduce yourself and politely offer some driving suggestions.

Most people drive poorly out of ignorance and will drive better once they know how. Of course there are a few with the f-u for telling me how to drive attitude and there is not much hope for them.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-04-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
how about letting them borrow your disc 1 of the book so they can learn how to drive and what not without you saying a word. Or tell them he can get a ton of good info on his boat and the ski/wakeboarding culture and tips on wakeworld !!!!
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-04-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Someone should make a DVD on boater etiquette and make the ISO available so that we can burn many copies to hand out.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-04-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Your MORE then being a gentleman and have a valid reason to 'inform' these folks. I, however, can't come up with anything better then what you wrote. Good luck!
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-05-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Check this out.... talk about etiquette...or lack of...

http://midwestwakeboarder.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=179&forum=36
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-05-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
Sack up throw it out there! Most people are open to hearing what you have to say. It's that darn interpretation part that things get mixed up. LOL one time we asked a bunch of younger guys wakeboarding off an IO to please stop powerturning we promptly got a "HEY! &%#@ YOU!.... Oh ya sorry bro!" You seem gentle enough in the wording of the post I don't think you're going to get hit in the mouth but also be forward enough to get the point of what you want across. I wouldn't do the here's how I do thing because an arrogant person would be like "isn't that nice of you" and not think to apply it to themselves unless you're really tongue in cheek.
Old    alanp            09-05-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
ive approached several boats. usually open up with something complimentary(about the boat or whatever. then say hey "hey ive noticed you out here a few times early in the morning like myself so i assume youre wanting to get some good water especially since you are water skiing". i dont know if youve ever noticed but if you turn fast youre sending rollers (where ever)." say something "like most people dont even recoginize they are doing it". if you havent been punched in the face at this point, they are receptive to hearing which lines work well on the lake good luck. ive never had a problem
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-05-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
That drives me nuts. I especially love it when people slow down and drive 10mph an hour by you and swamp the boat. They need to realize they are doing more harm than good. I'd rather see a roller from someone going 30mph than someone going 10mph. Once you spot the rider, gun it and get by.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-05-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine is bad about pulling major powerturns when we lose a rider. I havent said anything to him, I just try to teach by example when I drive his boat.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-06-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
ugh. My dad poweturns every time... I try to use just about everything I know to try to persuade him to slow down and idle back, but the only response I ever get is,"The skiier is in danger (even though nobody has ever been in immediate danger after they've fallen. We were followed directly [inside our wake] about 100 feet back on a river once, scared me to death, but thats another story.) and that takes too long." The scary part is, we're looking for a 2001 that I'm going to put Launch Pad recliners in (for seating mostly).... Hm, maybe I should fill them with air? Sorry for the novel, just ranting.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2007, 12:05 AM Reply   
That is WAY irritating the "10 mph drive by". Spot the rider, raise you hand, drive by normal cruising speed. Or idle by.

If you idle by then you'll have a chance to say, "cool boat man, you guys are awesome, been riding long? Mmmmm, do you think you could cut down on the power turns it sure does send rollers down the smooth water, thanks....oh by the way did you get the memo regarding cover sheets for your TPS reports mmmmkay." That would really help out.
Old     (dwspring)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-07-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Maybe you could invite them to come ride with you for a set. That way you come off as being friendly and when you are driving, you show them how you drive in straight lines and when a rider falls, you can show them that they don't have to powerturn.
Teach them by example, and hopefully, they will be the ones asking you about your driving habits.
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-07-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
Dan - explain to your dad that the rider is safer by not doing power turns because if you slow down and turn around you keep the rider in the same path as the boat so others should steer clear of your path. maybe time it once to so him its not that much different in time

Also pay attention to your rider (or someone else) and stop right we they fall .

I always see people go forever before they notice the rider is down.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Anonymously drop a flyer on his windshield in the middle of the night explaining some of your points. Keep a copy in your boat. If he ever asks about it, say you got one too and it has helped some in teaching you better safety and boater ediquitte. Explain it was a real eye opener for you. Even reference DVD #1 of The Book in the flyer.

It's the passive method but obsolves you of any finger point and ill-will. Especially if you see them often.
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       09-07-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
all good points, especially the last one.