Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-03-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
Alright, I hope to get out of my conference early tomorrow. I am one exit away from OWC and if the weather cooperates I think I will stop by there and see what the deal is.

For all of you that have ridden the cables, any advice for a beginner cable rider? They won't have the boat going tomorrow, so it will be cables or nothing for me.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-04-2005, 7:20 AM Reply   
Weds. is half price day so it will be really busy after 4pm.

The corners are the toughest part of the cable for someone that hasn't done it before. It's easiest if you are right foot forward. Usually there are two bouys right at the corner. Stay close to the right (outside) one and prepare yourself for a small jerk when the rope goes around the corner. If you are too far outside the jerk gets harder. If you are too far inside then the rope will go slack, so just hang on and brace yourself for when it goes tight.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-04-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
Like John said, the corners are the biggest adjustment...especially the ones before the one where you pass the operator.

Also, the pull is way different. It mostly seems to pull up, and it pulls back to the center pretty hard too. It's a bit more of an arm workout (triceps) than boarding behind the boat.

Eric
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-04-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hey thanks guys for the tips.

I am going to head up there now and check it out. I have to catch a plane at 6pm. And well the weather isn't the best, so I don't if they will be running the cables.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-04-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
What those guys said, and make sure not to fall at the far corner, it's a long walk back.

If you haven't ever hit a slider, this is a perfect opportunity to learn. Make sure your weight is distributed evenly, and make sure that you are not on edge when you hit the slider of kicker. Edge in, then go flat, or ollie. The new OWC sliders are very kind to boards.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-04-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
Well when I finally got the courage up to try the cable, got changed, went to pay and the girl suggested I wait because there was a storm coming and she didn't know how long it would hang around. I only had two hours till I needed to leave for the airport.

I waited for an hour and 15 and no luck. Oh well. I will post some pictures of the storm though, the rain was coming down in sheets. I hope the pictures turn it. It was very cool to watch the storm.

Thank you again for all the tips, wakeworld came through again for me. I will bring this thread back up next time I am in Orlando (or another place with a cable park).
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-05-2005, 7:18 AM Reply   
That was the worst storm I can recall us having this year. Better luck next time.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-05-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
For your next trip, here are a couple of articles...

http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/Cable.asp
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/Cable2.asp