Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old    robertt            06-05-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
I bought about 15 LED clusters and have installed about half already in my boat.

I have an 04 Mastercraft, with the stock LED lights in the gunnel's. I disconnected the white light LEDs that came with the boat, and connected to that wire to power the clusters that I have installed.

My concern is that the wire that is stock on the boat is fairly small, probably 18 gauge or something like that.

I know LEDs pull very little power, but is it worth running a new power feed from the switch all the way around the boat.

That would suck.

Is there any chance that a smaller wire will have enough loss that the LEDs would dim slightly?

I ask because I am going to add the other five or six clusters this week and dont want issues.

Thoughts?

By the way, as crazy as it seems, purple LED clusters are awesome looking at night. Pretty much looks like a black light.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-05-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
I think you would be fine with what you have.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       06-05-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
Hey Rob,

You would probably be fine with even 22gauge wire. They pull hardly any power, and led's dont dim, they are simply on or off.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-05-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
i don't now anything about LEDs but is your profile pic taken with a fish eye lens? it looks awesome!
Old    robertt            06-05-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
Cool, thanks everyone. I will roll with what I have then.

Matt, yes it was a fish eye lens. Kind of funny, I didnt even remember having a profile pic. Thanks.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2006, 11:58 PM Reply   
this thread needs a pix...

Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-06-2006, 12:00 AM Reply   
I think Grant said these pull something like 7 amps.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-06-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Mike: Im its more like 3 amp' I tested with a meter before I finished my install and it was around 2 amp's and then I threw in a few extra so my guess its around 3. I guess I could always just push the button on my new dash gauge and it would tell me but I forgot I had the ability to LOL
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-06-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
to answer your orignal question. 16 awg is plenty large to run like 50 led cluster's. 20 led cluster's will pull like 1/2 a amp so your fine. Hook it up !
Old    robertt            06-06-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
That pic is crazy! I dig it.

3 amps is still pretty much, is that for the boat above? I would not want to pull 3 amps through the little bitty wire that is stock in the boat.

Then again, I have/will have about 1/10th of what is in that boat above.

Still think I will be ok?
Old    robertt            06-06-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thanks bro.

Hey Grant....have you ever put a smoke machine in a boat?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-06-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
you should be fine. I have close to 20 lights installed and used 20 gauge wire, which is a tad larger than what was in the boat, but not by much. No issues here. I just spliced into the existing courtesy lighting.
Old    robertt            06-06-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&fcl=3&catref=C5&fr pp=50&from=R10&satitle=fog+machine+&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sacqyop=ge&sacqy=&saprclo=&saprchi=& fsop=1&fsoo=1

I dont know why, but sitting at night with the purple LEDs going and fog rolling over the gunnel's is somewhat appealing.