Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    ryank            07-25-2005, 7:16 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine has an older prostar 190. Usually we ride here in phoenix where the altitude is around 1500 feet. Lately we have been up north riding in the forest at around 7500 feet and the boat is bogging down big time. I was telling him that we need to change the jetting (its carburated), but the boatshop up there said that we need to change the prop. I am having a hard time believing that the prop is the problem. Has anyone else heard about changing the prop to compensate for a higher elevation?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-25-2005, 11:04 PM Reply   
The prop will make a HUGE difference if you are not running a lower pitch already. Shoot it makes a HUGE difference at sea level. Jetting the carb will also make a big difference, but not jetting it will not hurt anything as it will run rich not lean. If you do jet it make sure to change them back before running at a lower elevation. That would be a big pain the butt and everytime you take a carb apart the risk of fuel leaks increases.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-26-2005, 6:24 AM Reply   
the prop is 80% of your solution, the carb is 20%. The prop can be changed in 10 minutes, the carb may take a couple of hours until you get used to it. The prop is $310 delivered to your door, I can't guess how much the mechanic charges for re-jetting and tuning the carb.
Old    ryank            07-26-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
So you guys are saying that you need to change the prop pitch with elevation? I think it is just running WAY too rich.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-28-2005, 1:49 PM Reply   
If the boat bogs at both different elevations then the prop could be the culprit. If it only bogs at higher elevations then I agree its your jetting. Are you adding alot of ballast to the boat ?
Old    ryank            08-01-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
We put two 600 bags in the boat. It does just fine down at 1500 feet but bogs at the higher elevation.