Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    dgannon            07-25-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Curious if anyones swim platform has ever fallen off? I have an 02 MC 205V and after a power slide the wood came off the brackets. The screws that hold the platform are so small so we took some stainless carriage bolts and put them all the way through the wood to prevent this from happening again.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       07-25-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
yea it happened to me and a couple guys when I had an 02 x star, we were out one night about dark and did a couple power slides trying to impress the boat load of hot chicks that we picked up at the dock. got back at the dock to load the boat up for the night and a buddy of mine went to step to get on the dock to retrieve the truck, and went in the water. we thought it was kind of funny at the time, he didn't

(Message edited by ryanbush11 on July 25, 2005)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-25-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
They do that for all boats to discourage power turning! :-)
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-25-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
Seriously... power slide? are you kidding me?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
did they like banging their heads against each other? hope you got some...
Old    dgannon            07-25-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
I was alone with totally flat (glass water). Yeah, a power slide, why?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
That’s KARMA! You get what you deserve when you power turn.

Seriously though… do you know if all of the screws were in place or some may have been missing. I would have opted for a larger size screw and replaced all of them first before drilling and going to carriage bolts. Is the boat regularly left in the water? My friends that keep boats on the lake always seem to have more trouble with swim steps getting thrashed on.

Chicks definitely dig power turns… especially in a V Drive. If you have to ask.....
Old    dgannon            07-25-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
The old ones were all there in place on the brackets with the platform floating away....I thought of longer screws but with being able to sink the bolts into the wood to make them flush it seemed like the best option. I keep the boat at my lake home in Wisconsin and have it up out of the water on the lift when not in use. It may have been all the kids on and/off the swim platform that day swimming in the middle of the lake.....my days of impressing the babes were years ago. Glad to hear others can carry it on.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-25-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
yay, power slide a v-drive.... hmmm doesn't work does it.... Back in the day I powered the crap out of our prostar 190 but a v-drive??? don't think so..

Old    tige_kid            07-25-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
Im sure chicks really dig it when you take a sharp turn in a boat.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-25-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
the same happened to our platform cause i did a backflip off the edge of it and it flipped off with me, so we did the same thing and put 4 stainless carrage bolts through it and its been fine ever since
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-25-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
Power slides are the only way I can get the chicks to fall into my lap. You have to do what you have to do
Old    ag4ever            07-25-2005, 7:02 PM Reply   
I can power slide my SAN, so I guess you don't have one of the good brands if you can't slide your v-drive.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-25-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
My friend powerslid his SAN the other day and flipped it over. Correct craft came and got it the next day.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-25-2005, 9:52 PM Reply   
Someone here once referred to the manuver as a "G-turn". He was corrected by someone who told him it must be an "F-turn" 'cause it F's your boat up. Might be fun, but hardly worth the risk of injury, death, or for us owners, loss of a 50k+ boat.
Old    dgannon            07-26-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
Pork Chop, I agree, it's fun to do but not worth the risk nor the inconvenience of having to take the boat out and have it fixed. I have never heard of anyone flipping their boat doing it though......wow!
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-26-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
I don not understand this issue?
I have a small V-drive, and when I went out for the demo ride the sales person performed turns to show me how well the boat would handle.

So if you can do this, does that mean that your boat is not as agile as others?

If the boat is weighted right it shouldn’t be able to flip, unless you hit something.
Or am I missing the whole point.
Thanks David
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
When I demoed an x-2 the sales guy said hold on and at 45mph did a complete 180.Definetly no chance of flipping but also NO WEIGHT in the boat.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-26-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
the screws in the MC platforms are Bogus. I'm amazed they hold just with anything on them. Add to this, the removable aluminum brackets are the weakest thing on a MC. I changed the brackets and the screws and have been very happy.

Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
Big Ed with all the stereo gear you have on your tower you might want to watch out with the Power Turns you're top heavy
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
Oh great…. That’s wonderful news that the boat dealers are demonstrating power turns!

Maybe that explains the *!@#@!^&* (pick your curse word of choice) in the X-Star ripping powerturns this AM on Lake Sammamish. I hope his swim step falls off!

ok I feel better now.
Old    byerly137pro            07-26-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
We call them blowouts because of the loud noise they make when the exhuast comes out of the water. There done at the ski school I volunteer at but they say there terrible for the boat and the swim platform came off one of MCs in practice. But they could care less because the boats are given to them by sponsors and they sell them after every season.