Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    jmac_04            07-22-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Last week I noticed that the prop was still spinning when I put my boat in neutral. I know it is not the exhaust pushing because I can feel the turbulence of the water with my foot behind the prop. Question: Should I have this checked out now or can it wait until the end of the season? Also, could I possibly do something on my own to fix the problem? thanks.
jimmy
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-22-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
Most do spin even in neutral. Used to run in salt where everybody flushed on the ramp, most props spun like fans.

Note to self: never go under the boat when the motor is running under any circumstances.

You can also tangle ropes up pretty good if you float over them in neutral.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-22-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
normal stuff. As long as it is spinning real slow.
Old    jmac_04            07-25-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
It is pushing me fast enough to make a small wake. I can now almost keep up with boats in the no wake zone while in neutral.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
I don't know much about this, but thats probably more spin than you need. besides whats already wrong with it, I would say you could damage your transmission with continued use. but that could be whats causing it too.

anyone?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-25-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
Check the shifter adjustment. Boat movement in neutral is NOT normal.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-25-2005, 1:47 PM Reply   
Yay, come on guys, that not right. Your prop should NOT move your boat in neutral. Thats why its neutral! I don't think the prop should even spin in neutral. Get it checked out ASAP!!! thats very dangerous.
cdm
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-25-2005, 3:50 PM Reply   
I agree with cdm. The prop should not be spinning in neutral. Just like your car tires should not spin in neutral either. Get it looked after asap.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-25-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
Like CDM said, any movement of the prop should certainly not make the boat move while in neutral. Even on the trailer I wouldn't expect the prop to do more than creep.

Jimmy: Can you tell the difference between "idle" and "neutral"? (hmmm.. taken the wrong way that question could sound like a flame. It isn't, I mean, is there a distinct loss of movement when you shift from the idle, but in gear, to the neutral position?)

How about if you pull it into reverse first, then back to neutral, does it still move you forward?

If going to reverse first makes it really neutral then I would suspect that the shift linkage is out of whack.

If it still drives forward even after having been in reverse then I would suspect that the transmission is going bad. A typical Velvet Drive transmission has a stack of clutch plates. They make a multi-layer sandwich of "driven" plates and "shaft" plates. To engage forward gear the stack is pressed together.

It is possible that the clutch was overheated and one or more of the plates warped. Warped plates won't totally disengage.

Note to those who notice their transmission "slipping" on hole shot: this is the typical result of the clutch slipping!
Old    jmac_04            07-26-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
When I shift from in gear to neutral, there is a loss of movement, but not as much as a week ago. When I go to reverse and back to neutral it does feel as if it is in neutral, for just a second. I think I will take it in today to have it checked.
thanks everyone.
Old    jmac_04            07-26-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
When I shift from in gear to neutral, there is a loss of movement, but not as much as a week ago. When I go to reverse and back to neutral it does feel as if it is in neutral, for just a second. I think I will take it in today to have it checked.
thanks everyone.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
I had my boat checked out a few times at the dealer and everytime they ran it out of water I NEVER noticed not even a little bit that the prop turned.