Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-13-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
I have a 2005 Malibu VLX on a shallow lake--5 feet. I am looking for a freestanding boat lift that will go next to my dock. Any input on model/manufacturer/where to buy/vertical vs. hydraulic/ etc. would be appreciated.. Thanks
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-13-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
Well I have a Sunstream hydraulic and love it. Everyone who comes over loves it (most lifts on my lake are cable lifts - 5 minutes or more up and down.) Remote control, up and down in <15 seconds. Easily moveable and adjustable. Downside is price - most expensive type of lift.

My Dad owns www.tigerdocks.com, so that is a disclosure, but I got my pick of any lift available and that is what I choose for my personal lift.

Hope that helps.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-13-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
My bud has a hydraulic and it's really nice.

I have an 18 year old Shore Station that's been great. But I really hate to crank that thing up.

Get a canopy, they really save your interior.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-13-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
I have the Hydraulic Cantilever and have no complaints. Saved a ton having it shipped direct from factory and putting it together myself which took the better part of a weekend.

http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/lifts07/index.html
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-13-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
I have a Sunstream Float Lift. Thing this in amazing. It goes up and down in about 15-30 seconds. It will go in any depth of water. I use it in 3 feet of water with no problems. You can install it yourself. No need to hire a professional for $700 plus the time and effort of permits.

Downside: Expensive ($11K brand new).
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-13-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
http://www.summitmarine.com/

I went with a 6000 lbs hydraulic cantilever hoist for my xstar! the down side to a cantilever hoist is it needs a little more water. I have mine sitting in about 3ft of water at the front, and 4ft in the back. I'm thinking you will need to go with a vertical hoist, and IMO Shore station is the best!

http://www.boathoistdirect.com/browse.php?brand=Summit
Old     (mdiddy)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-13-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
no matter what you buy, get something with a electric or hydraulic lift. Cranking on the wheel for 5 minutes at the end of riding is horrible.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-14-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
the sunstream floatlift is definitely the best lift you can get, but it pricey. For that shallow of water, and if you are sure you will always be in shallow -ish water, get the sunlift, which is a bottom-stander. a little cheaper, just as fast. Doesnt float so if you move to a deep water location you cant take your lift.

Hydraulics, no matter who you buy from, are the way to go. So much faster than the alternatives, and yes it makes a big difference and is worth the price.