Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    avdss            06-28-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
I'm in san jose,CA area and looking for a reliable Mastercraft boat service person/shop. I tried Cope & McPhetres Marine(dealer where I got my boat) twice and very displease with their services. Thanks.
Old    grud8            06-28-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
The only other authorized MC service dealer is Ski World in Pleasanton. Ask for Eudy (pronounce Udi) and he will set you up. He is a great guy as are all the other service people there. I left Cope's and have not looked back, they only care about making money and not about the customer.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-28-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
I have done the same, left Cope & McPheters and went to Ski World. First class organization and Eudy runs a tight ship. I go there for everything, the extra 30 miles is well worth the trip. They have everything you will need for your MC.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
I third Ski World. The service guy has been there for like 10 years. That tells you something. Everyone there rocks! The drive should be worth the service. I just bought a new MC just because of the people there.

PS...they like Corona.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-28-2005, 9:42 PM Reply   
What everyone else is saying, Ski World is a first class shop. Eudy is awsome, the sales guys are no pressure and laid back, Steve the parts manager will always remember you and get you anything you need. Can't say enough about those guys. Eudy will go as far as to ask you if your boat is doing things that you may have not even realized was not normal and he will have a solution for it. They all go above and beyond.
Old    avdss            06-29-2005, 1:47 PM Reply   
Thanks for all responses. I'll start making trips over the Sunol Grade.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-29-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
You may want to give these guys a call before you go to a big name dealer. a while back, I was looking at having some work done on my boat and happened to give them a call. I was really impressed with both the knowledge that they had regarding boats and also the time they spent answering all my dumb questions. I am going to give them a try for my next service. Disclaimer...I HAVE NOT used them but they are an option to driving over the hill - I hate that traffic.
http://www.topsidemarine.com/
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
In the future if you guys have a hang up with service from Cope's or ultimate, hit me up and I'll help out. Remember that they have service centers all over Northern California so they can take care of you regardless of what city. Eudy is a great mechanic, but they are a small shop that can only handle so much work per summer. It's just somthing to consider.
Old    grud8            06-30-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
I don't know how you can help out with an organization totally devoid of customer service in every department and at every level internally. They have really pissed a lot of boat owners off and I guarantee it will start to affect their business at some point. Ski World is no longer a small shop as they have a huge facility about 10 minutes away called Liquid Wrenches.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-30-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
I agree with Barefooter, Ski world is not a small shop, since they have other locations in northern CA, And they do a ton of Service through their Liquid Wrenchs location in Livermore not to mention that they are 100% customer friendly. I did not have experience with Copes service just talked with about 4 other people who did, but when it came to buying my boat they did not even attempt to work with me on what I wanted, including wanting to charge me for items that came standard on the boats at Ski World. Copes tried to tell me they were options on theirs. Perfect example, I wanted a Teak Swim platform and Copes told me it would be $400 more because they had ordered all of their boats with Fiberglass.
Jason, John wanted to know a good "MasterCraft" service shop, from My understanding Ultimate is not a master craft dealer....Of course they get around that because they are owned by Copes so if somone wanted a Mastercraft they could get one. In all my dealings with Ski World they have never bad mouthed Copes once but when I was buying my boat and talking with the sales guy at Copes he had nothing but negitive things to say about Ski World. I have been in sales for a very long time and I learned that disparaging your competitor is not going to make you look good in the eyes of the customer. My final comment on this is that If I had to go to someone that did not work for the service center to get better results what does that say about how they treat their customers....

(Message edited by gizel on June 30, 2005)
Old    pitbull05            06-30-2005, 5:56 PM Reply   
Can a happy Cope and Mcphetres customer jump in here.
I purchased a new Mastercraft X-9 from Cope and Mcphetres in Santa Clara. I have been back to the store site numerous times for service, repair, and purchases from the pro shop. I have been very happy with the knowledge and service they provide.
Based on my experience with Copes, I wouldn't purchase another boat anywhere else.
As for that other store you folks talk about. Since purchasing my boat at Copes, I met few boat owners who live in the area of that other shop or purchased a boat from them. Even though they may live closer to the other shop or purhcased their boat there, they are now happy customers of the Cope and Mcphetres store in Santa Clara.
All I can say is people have their own individual opinions and experiences.
One last thought. People who often post on chat boards spend far more time talking about the negative than the positive. I guess that's like the rest of live. I would venture to say that for every negative positing here, there are hundreds if not thousands of happy customers from Cope and Mcphetres.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-01-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
So Ron I have to ask, are you a friend or Relative of someone at Copes. You registered to post on Wakeworld Today and I fond it ironic that your only post is about this subject. If you notice from all the above posts its all of our Opnions which is what John was asking for. There are a lot of Bay area Mastercraft owners on this board that have experiences with both shops. Its all personal and how you are treated makes the biggest difference as to if you get repeat business.You say "I met few boat owners who live in the area of that other shop or purchased a boat from them" so how would you know if they are now happy Copes customers? If you have not met many that live in the area then I guess its pretty hard to make the Statement that they are now happy Copes Customers. I would be willing to bet that most people living in the East Bay more than Likely are Ski World Customers and South Bay people are Copes customers. Why would someone from Morgan Hill like yourself want to drive an hour to buy a boat and get it serviced unless you were unhappy as John Stated to begin this post. All anyone has done here is give their experiences with each dealer. The saying holds true "for every good experience you tell one person for every bad you tell Ten"
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
Stewert and Barefoot, I have been around this business for over 10 years and worked with almost every shop out there. I know most of the guys at Ski World and they are great guys. Eudy is a GREAT technician. There has been bad-mouthing between both stores for as long as I have been in the business. Also I have HEARD with my own ears salesmen from both companies at boat shows bad-mounthing,deal making,and throwing in stuff to make a deal so that the other guy would not "steal" the deal. With only two major players in the #1 market in the country, you are bound to get some negativity. I am not saying it is ok, just reality. I am not here to say Cope's is the best ever and they never make mistakes. They have been in business over 55 years and that says something. They have more reatil stores than any watersports related retailer in the world(I think this is still true) and that says someting. They are going to have unhappy customers, just like Ski World. I am here to try to help reduce those unhappy customers in the wake community, not to make excuses for it.
Old    grud8            07-06-2005, 12:33 AM Reply   
Jason-
I'm still waiting for you to answer my question from my first post.

Ron-
I bought 2 MC boats from Copes in Santa Clara and they tried to rip me off when I went to buy a third. Then to finish themselves off in my eyes, they called my wife and then me to tell us off when we went to Ski World for our purchase. All I can say to you is...GOOD LUCK. I was Copes' #1 fan until about 4 months ago. Don't be too self-righteous about singing their praises because they are RUTHLESS when it comes to boat sales.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
How can I help a shop with no customer service-that one? How can a company be in business for 55 years in a tough market without having customer service? How can they be one of the largest LF and HL dealers in the world without Customer service? Same goes for Malibu, MC, and most products they sell. Thier sales continue to increase yearly and there has to be a reason. It's not pricing. Just like Home Depot or Walmart- the more customers you have the more that will be unhappy about an experience- even if the perecentage of unhappy customers never changes. They work with me to help try to change that image in the wakeboading side of things. They are trying to do things to change. All companies that get big, lose some level of service. They are bringing in people like me to try to help that.

Once again, I am not hear saying they are the best or even don't go anywhere else. I am just hear trying to help customers that did not have a good experience. Try to spend more time improving the sport you love, or riding and less time bashing shops.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-25-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
I will never, EVER buy a boat from Cope's or Ultimate. I tried to buy my X2 there, and they changed the price by $4,000 dollars after I gave them a $10,000 refundable deposit. (I bought from Ski-World instead.)

I've got a laundry list of people with terrible Cope's and Ultimate experiences, both Service and Sales. I'm sure Ski-World has their share of unhappy customers too, but the sheer number of Cope/Ultimate customers that have been burned is undeniable.

On the plus side, it's good to see that they are trying to address their god-awful reputation by hiring Wakeboard specific customer service reps like Jason.

Old    avdss            07-25-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
To Answer Jason's questions, it's because Cope is located right in the middle of silicon valley where 25 years old kid making $100K/year and few million dollars worth of stock options. Cope is like Fry's Electronic, go in get your boat at low price and get out. Good luck getting services. BTW, I recently crossed Sunol Grade to Ski-World and there is what I like to call SERVICES !!!

Jason, I would hope you're here to change the image of Cope's. I live 10min from Cope's and rather have my boat service there than towing it 45 min away. But until I hear positive feeds back, Ski-World is where I'll be comming back. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. I've been fooled twice.

(Message edited by avdss on July 25, 2005)
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-28-2005, 7:34 AM Reply   
I can only help if I have input like this. By the way both owners as well as most of their managers read the forumns religiously so they see all of this stuff. So they do care and are trying to make changes.
Old    grud8            07-28-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
Easy to have a lot customers when you are the only MasterCraft option in the valley. The only reason that is the case is because they strong-arm MC anytime someone new wants to open a dealership. Its funny you point out that service slips as a company grows...how big is Nordstrom? They are all about the customer and last I checked they were a hell of a lot bigger than Copes. More happy customers means more repeat business. Service should get better with more customers...not worse.

BTW, the 5 minutes it takes me to bash Copes is certainly not taking away from my time riding or promoting "my sport" but it certainly is therapeutic and hopefully prevents others from having a similar experience with Copes
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
Gotta say, I have brought my boat in to Topside AND copes in Santa Clara, and have been happy with both of them. Copes did some warranty work for me, and Topside did the maintenance on short notice. As Jason said, if you have a complaint-tell them! They service so many boats that they are bound to miss something because of sheer volume. I have never been to Ski World (I have a Malibu), but I am always up for entertaining options. Maybe i am one of the select few of the several thousand customers per year, but I have always had a good experience at Copes. Topside can be pricey, but they do great work on very short notice.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-28-2005, 10:54 PM Reply   
Since UWS destroyed my boat before Denny and Denny is no longer with UWS...

I decided to try Liquid Wrenches in Livermore.

I pick my boat up tomorrow. So far so good. Will let you know more after I get my boat back.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-01-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
Guess details would be a little more helpful in this type of post... Perhaps giving a little more incite to what sort of "bad experience" you had would help the rest of us who are watching posts like this.
I personally have taken my boat to Copes and haven’t had an issue with service but again I would hope not too considering it is only 2 years old. But in the event I do have a problem I would expect them to resolve it fairly.
Bob has been good to me in the past and Gregg N. is a class act as far as the gear side of the house goes.
Just my .02
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-01-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
try outboard inboard marine.
Old    xxchaosfactorxx            08-01-2005, 9:12 PM Reply   
I second Ski World USA....