Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    mnrider            07-23-2005, 6:38 PM Reply   
just got done raining where i live and the boat was outside and the stereo got a bit wet and i tried it out and it turns on ok but not getting any sound out of the speakers. I'm pretty sure the speakers are marines but i don't think the deck is. I think the wiring got wet or something cause the speakers are dry and they don't get any sound. any thought or should i just let em' dry out.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-25-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
Wet speaker wires wouldn't cause you to not have any sound. It may eventually lead to bad wires but that would take a long time.

If you are not getting any sound out of the stereo then I would assume it was because it got wet. The bad news is that the damage is probably irreversible.

In general, whenever you have an electronic item that gets wet the best thing you can do is to remove all sources of electrical power (including any tiny batteries) and then dry it out ASAP. For example, say your camcorder just got drenched by a wave over the bow: First, open the tape compartment (if it will respond). Immediatly remove the large battery and the little coin battery that maintains the date/time. Get a hair dryer and blow into the tape door and any place else you can get to. If you have a tiny screwdriver remove portions of the case to get down to the electronics.

It is vital that you remove the battery immediatly because the water will allow current to flow and the tiny electric traces on the circuit boards will etch themselves away.

Pete: if your radio has had power on it long enough for you to get this response then it is probably too late. There is a small chance that it will work again once it dries out but I doubt it. Better start looking for a new deck