Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-19-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
I'm not sure who was riding in the infield lake at the Daytona 500 but I do know they must be thawing their berries today. It's a good added feature to the race.
Old     (westcoastripper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
randy
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-19-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
JC Sports here in SC took their Nascar Edition Centurions down to Daytona to be displayed at the race. Could have been them.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-19-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Randall Harris
Matt Manzari
Ricky G.
Gerry Nunn
Adam Fields
Drew Danielo

and perhaps a couple others.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-19-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Any footage around....youtube? etc
I was working and missed it thanks
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-19-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
From my seat 37 rows up, the lake is a fair distance away. Even from the 1st row you couldn't make out the riders or number of persons in the boat. Still was cool and you could not miss the riders. But I'll tell you, NASCAR is the biggest marketing hype around. There is some company logo in your face everywhere you look.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-19-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
Pro Tour stop that would be sick
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-20-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
There is plenty of room and they could have overnight camping.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-20-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
Tim - i know what you mean. Went to Tx Motor Speedway for the 1st race last year. I've never seen so many people lined up with cash in their hand. in addition to 250,000 tickets, food, beer and ice, everyone you saw, including their 2 yr old had a nascar jacket, shirt, hat, whatever. it was crazy. right now, NFL has nothing on NASCAR
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-20-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
The mass marketing machine in incredible. Individual fan loyalty to this "business" is amazing. As it is to many professional sports. I liken it to me saying, "I'm eating at McDonalds only. Their my food team everybody else sucks."

I which I could create that type of loyalty to my company.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-20-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
"McDonalds - They're my food team and everybody else sucks." That is the perfect comparison. Hilarious!
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-21-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
I really believe wakeboarding has the ingredients to be a lot bigger spectator sport. The riders have a good look and the sport is cool. I really believe it is the presentation. Make it TV/spectator friendly.

I have seen too many TV comps with not great camera locations. Ideas for a better show? Here are mine:

1. Better camera angles
2. More slow motion- mobes shown in slo mo with a good camera angle and then a little color commentary.
3. Rider profiles- some footage of the riders being interviewed and edited with some off the lake stuff.
4.At least one huge obstacle that creates big air. Look how cool JDs stunt was. Doesn't have to be that big or dangerous buy something with a "oooh" efect.
5. Some discussion about the equipment- boat and gear.
6. How about some team comp. Hyperlite, CWB, Supra, etc. Each one could have a handful of riders and their individual points go towards a team winner.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-21-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
rog - good points on the presentation. i feel like riding is more of a 'participator sport' than anything else.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-21-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
I agree with Nacho. I've been to wakeboard, jump, barefoot, tournaments ect. There is a lot of down time with no action to hold your attention. Aside from the ''wow check that out moment'' it gets slow.

The x-games covered Rogers list but apparently it didn't get the viewer-ship and was pulled.

Other sports that are boring to me at least have continuous or "head to head" form of competition to keep things moving.

The other kill feature is that there are too few people who have the ability to experience the sport.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-21-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
There were people riding in the lake at Daytona? That's a pretty small lake to ride on.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-21-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
That lake runs almost the entire length of the back stretch, which is about a mile long.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-21-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
I saw Darryl Waltrip in the "mountain dew" catamaran buzzing down the lake. Too bad they didn't show anyone wakeboarding like that.

Doesn't take much athletic talent to steer a boat at that speed. (I do give credit to race boat drivers in offshore races though)
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       02-21-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
I was there and it was a very nice long run although it was very rough and cold. Darryl Waltrip has a name in Nascar I'm sure if he could wakeboard they would have showed it....
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-23-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
Your right, I didn't realize it was that long, I've never had a good look at the lake.