Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (blacter)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-26-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
Anyone have experience with a walk-thru transom like the one in Nautique's Air 226? I'm thinking it would make manuvering around the boat a lot easier especially for an older dude like myself who's not quite as limber as he used to be. On the other had my wife sees these issues:
~ Cuts into the sunpad.
~ Eliminates a seat.
~ Hard to keep that passageway clean.
Any thoughts on whether the pros outweigh the cons?

(Message edited by blacter on February 26, 2004)
Old     (blacter)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-26-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
Here's what it looks like...

Walk-Thru Transom - Overhead View
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-26-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
Barry,

My next door neighbor has the Centurion Avalanche with the same kind of walk-through transom. Personally, I'm not a huge fan.

Pros:
-Somewhere to throw wet life jackets and wetsuits.
-you can walk through to transom.

Cons:
-this may be Centurion specific, but BALLAST. There's nowhere to put it when you have the walk-through...
-you probably won't use the walk-through, because it will always be filled with life jackets.
-it makes the sun deck a lot smaller.
-eliminates a seat, (or adds a very uncomfortable one).

For my purposes, I don't like the walkthrough. I'd rather have the extra surface, seating, and ballast space.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-26-2004, 3:55 PM Reply   
Cal

You need to talk to you neighbor more. The Centurion can have ballst under the walk thru.
The Storm 2 and 3 options both have a ballast sac
under the walk trough
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-26-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
Avalanche owner here. I love the walk through to the transom. As for the ballast Centurion does offer it on there Storm 2 and 3 options like Kevin said. If you really innovative and dont mind putting in your own its not too hard. I did it on mine. I believe that the storm 2 and three have about 250 lbs on each side. I was able to figure out soft tanks that will hold 350 lbs each. If interested on the info let me know.
Old    oshensurfer            02-26-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
Yep. My buddy has an Av with the ballast under there.

I don't really like the walk through concept though.. What's the real point to it? So you have to step up an extra 8" and slide across the platform to go ride a wakeboard or ski if that's your thing..... Unless you need a walker I think you're safe without it. Unless you like you like it. Cause it's all about what you want in a boat and whether you like it anyway.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-26-2004, 8:34 PM Reply   
I guess that's why they build the boat both ways. If you don't want the walk thru by the Avalanche C4 full wrap around seating no walk thru....what a concept
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-27-2004, 6:10 AM Reply   
Forgot to mention that. We know that it is available, but he voted not to add it since it really wasn't that much weight to add... for a whole lotta cash.

But my point was that after using one with the walkthrough (and I was in the market for one), I would have gone without. But yes, that's why they made it an option. Was a good move on Centurion's part.
Old    kennethl            02-27-2004, 7:13 AM Reply   
I've always wondered if this makes one side of the boat lop sided in terms of weight distribution?
Old    oshensurfer            02-27-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
Kev,
I'm not knocking Centurion. I own one. Having a bad day? Sheesh.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
Didn't mean to come across that way
Old    upupnaway            02-27-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
I think it is an awesome idea. It looks pretty wicked.