Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (chuckc983)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-14-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
What are you thoughts on tower lights? Are they worth an extra $500? What exactly are tower lights used for? This boat will stored on a dock and will be used at night - but driving is usually best with without any bright lights. Just wanted everyone thoughts on if they are worth having.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
Most guys use them for docking or getting on the boat lift or trailer safely.

Using them in the open water for long periods of time will usually make people's eyes depend on them so much that when you turn them off your completely blind for a bit.

I have a 3 million candle power spot light that we turn off & on to see whatever obstacles we need to. Then we have interior & transom LEDs so we can see stuff in & around the boat.

Saw a bitchin boat fire at SeaFair one year..... turns out it was caused by a towel draped over the tower lights, and someone accidentally turned them on. No one noticed till the towel was on fire...... then they went to pull it off the tower & it came apart & flipped little bits of flame all over the boat!
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       10-14-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
You have several options that are well under $500.00

See:
http://tinyurl.com/3m54h2

I love mine, wouldn't be caught without them. I primarly use mine for docking...

YMMV,
JT
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-14-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Many states outlaw them. But alot depends on the size/color and shape of the beam as far as effectiveness. I live on a lake and use mine all the time....my tower lights have saved me from hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of damage to my boat.

I also have a couple set up facing the rear to surf.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-14-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
"Using them in the open water for long periods of time will usually make people's eyes depend on them so much that when you turn them off your completely blind for a bit"

An amber beam greatly curves this issue. Most people buy off the shelf lights...this is the problem. IMO the best lights are amber beam color -- one spot beam pattern, and two driving beam patterns. One facing straight out ( you can light objects up out to .5 miles away) and the other two set up to shine out 20 feet off the bow ( each set off center a little).
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
If you are planning to use them for wakeboarding... they are useless!!!!

They come in handy for wakesurfing...

Now... another thing to consider...

In Canada... towing someone after dusk... is illegal... and it is not under the Coast Guard or Small Vessels Act...

It is under the criminal code...

So that pretty well answers most people's questions when they want to tow at dark.}
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-14-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
I only use mine to put the boat on the trailer at night or to find where the boat launch is. Are they nice to have yes. Do you use them a lot...no.

As Bill stated. Using the lights while under power is more harmful then helpful. It's easier to see ahead once your eyes have adjusted then trying to use the lights.
Old     (220_superstar)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-14-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
I have the 6 light set and they rock I have them mounted on top of the tower and with the bimini up it keeps the light out of your eyes! We surf alot at night and lights are a must. As for wakeboarding its ok if you are just wakeboarding to have a night session but if you are out spinning or going inverted the landings get hairy!!! Docking and loading is just gravy with good lighting. We also use the glow sticks and glow necklaces (that you get at the fair) to see riders once they are in the water. My 2 cents