Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-06-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
I really hope this doesnt come off as racist because i am not trying to be. But am i the only one that notices there arent any african american wakeboarders(i'm sure there are some but i mean pros that are in the limelight). Everyone knows that african americans are generally better athletes with a lot more style (ie NBA dunk contests, boxing, and dancers) Wakeboarding just naturally seems like a sport that an african american could come in and dominate like tiger woods did to the normally white dominated PGA. I just thought i would throw this out there and see what were the thoughts of this board.

ONCE AGAIN THIS WAS IN NOW WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM INTENDED TO BE RACIST. i know we do have some sensitive people out there.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-06-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
It will happen. Doesn't LF have a ripper that is? The thing you have to think about is how did we get into this sport? For me it was with family. I see few black families at the lake riding, but as time goes by this will change and as more (& more diverse) people are introduced to the sport the demographic will shift accordingly.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-06-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
Im with you on that B tingey,

i know one....hes called george

hes not pro but he rides cable, busts out all the
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
corey lake...WSR
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-06-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
"Everyone knows that african americans are generally better athletes with a lot more style (ie NBA dunk contests, boxing, and dancers)"

Not really racist, but sort of a blanket statement. Sorry, I had to. your quote reminds me of that Conan Obrien SNL skit where he was that Irish boxer, and gets the piss beat out of him

(Message edited by garret_S on December 06, 2006)
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-06-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
lol Garret, i was trying to be honest without offending people. I am not saying that they just are because they are black but obviously there are more black nba players. football players, and boxers. But with saying that, there are more white QB's and the reigning NBA mvp is white. But i think i explained my point pretty well.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-07-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
anybody else have an opinion on this
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-07-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
Sensitive subject, but, wakeboarding is similar to golf in that more caucasions tend to participate . . . I think it has to do with opportunity and $$$.
Old     (soccerfreak785)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-07-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
I was thinking about this and look at it this way, How many african americans do you see in any of the extreme sports?

Skateboarding? The only afro-american, famous skateboarder I can think of is Kareem Campbell.

Snowboarding? No one comes to mind.

Aggressive inline? Again no one really.

Motocross? Once again no one I can think of.

So, maybe african americans just aren't into the extreme sports?

(Message edited by soccerfreak785 on December 07, 2006)
Old    innov8actionsports.com            12-07-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Motocross? once again nothing comes to mind.

Are you kidding me, what about James Bubba Stewart?
He is one of the top motocross/supercross riders in the world, besides Ricky Carmichael, but he retired this year for NASCAR, so Bubba is the man to beat now.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-07-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
pat sorry bro i have to tell ya skating has a ton of african american pros. Tons. I only know this cause i grew up skating and watching transworld skate videos and 411 video mag. I also believe snow boarding has quite a few also. Motocross i have to agree though. Cant think of one.
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-07-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
thats what i was about to say w/ extreme sports... i tried to teach a black guy once and he couldnt get it... i personally am not the best basketball player... i really had to work at it in high school... and i ended up proving alot of people wrong... but i just thought most black people didnt really like water.... (not being racist, but i live in the south and most of them cant even swim...)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-07-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
I have a black guy in my semi-regular crew now. he rips at skating. this is his first year (I believe) at wakeboarding, and he is already killing it. somebody mentioned something above about $$$ and opportunity. that is definitely a part of it. I just think we are still in a society that tends to stay within races. (for the most part) I have a couple of black friends, but we have known each other since we were kids. neither of them are into watersports, but that is not for a lack of trying on my part. they just are not into getting up at 5 am to get the good water. shoot, most all of my friends are just like them in that aspect.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-07-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
I have only seen one on a board.
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-07-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
[ Hijack ] Hey Thomas,as for our friend you hit it on the head.No disrespect to him intended.Your right this is his first season as well. Peace
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-07-2006, 4:04 PM Reply   
whats up Jerry. yeah, Walt just needs some more time behind the boat. I just wish he would get on the skate now!
Old     (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-07-2006, 4:05 PM Reply   
I teach wakeboard classes at Georgia State University, and i thought i would chime in. I have probably had almost 20 African Americans on our boat just this last summer to learn wakeboarding. I will say that the general consensus down in the south is that most African Amercians aren't too fond of water. We were able to change a few ppl as we had repeat students.

Many of them who i had on the boat, were successful at wakeboarding and really seemed to enjoy themselves. I will also say this: some white ppl can wakeboard and some can't, and it is the same with African Americans.

It is all about where, how, and by whom you are raised.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-07-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
In my freshman year I had a Sociology 101. A question that was very similiar was brought up, dealing more with the precieved athletic superiority of African Americans.

The professor talked about how African Americans come from, typically, lower economic status than Euro-Americans (whites). Becuase of this lowered status, African Americans tend to put more emphasis on breaking out of their economic difficulties through non-traditional means (i.e. talent and sports). With this, and the low cost associated with basketball, football, and other mainstream sports we will see a higher tendency of African Americans to become highly skilled and Pros of these described sports.

Would you classify wakeboarding as a low cost sport? - I think that everyone on WW would agree that this is not the case. (This situation can also be applied to apline skiing, golf (as stated prior), etc.)

-- Turns out I did get something from that class...---
Old     (mattstrykul)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-07-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
there are alot of aggressive rollerbladers that are african american. They are my favorite, truthfully because they have the sickest style that is so relaxed and fluent. Mike "murda" johnson, julian bah, rachard johnson, montre livingston, theres alot more too, just thought I'd try to get my point across.

heres a video of julian bah, hes not pro, but should be. The rollerblading industry is really messed up, and the pros can get up to 9 pro skates but they don't let any newcomers into the game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5irKkfaS0tE
Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-07-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
I have a black friend that i taught to wakeboard and he loves it and got his family and frat brothers into it. I asked him about the lack of African Americans in extreme sports and he just looked at me and started laughin and said, " Pshhhh you gotta be kiddin me... black people dont do extreme sports. Being black is extreme enough!!!"
Old     (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-07-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
Bryce- i have gotten similiar responses such as "we leave that extreme thing to you white people, we have a hard enough time trying to get through life as it is".....
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-07-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
JB, don't buy that.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-07-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
My girlfriend is Bajian (family is from barbados but no idea how to spell it) and she says that it's just that they don't like the water as much which seems to ring true in many cases, but you definitely can't claim it for all people, doesn't matter what race you are. But it tends to be the case more I think being black over the average white. I'm still trying to get her on a board though ;) one season at a time.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-08-2006, 12:11 AM Reply   
J Hill, Can you give me a little something more than you don't buy it? I've spent a lot on my college career and think that the points that my professors make/made are valid.

Work with me on this one. What way do you swing?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-08-2006, 12:30 AM Reply   
Yeah, there are alot of facotrs the cost is one of them of course and the fact that traditionaly African Americans arent seen much around water sports. I can;t remember the last time I saw a swim meet where there was one. On the other hand I grew up in LA and those guys can play ball. Im not sure I would say Blacks are better at basketball rather they may be a tad more athletic as far as jumping ability etc...Although look at Brent Barry that dude can skye from the free throw line with full warmups on. I will say that the MBA slam dunk contest would be borring without them ha ha ha
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-08-2006, 1:01 AM Reply   
Hey, why do the Japanese make the best electronics?
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-08-2006, 6:33 AM Reply   
THIS IS A JOKE I TELL ALL MY FRIENDS.
The reason that most african americans dont like the water or boats,is because of the last time black peps got on to a boat with a bunch of white peps yall know what happend. 400 years of opresion HA HA HA

In the 6 years I have been riding I have only seen 2 other african americans trying to wakeboard, and I'm on the lake 3 4 days a week and i still suck. but $$ and opportunity
http://swamistudios.com/photoshoots/060624%2DINT/Day1/Greg%20Warren/slides/IMGa0184.html
Now if I could just land it I woukd be a happy camper

(Message edited by whitie on December 08, 2006)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-08-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
yea your right not too many wakeboard or boat for that matter but this summer i was shocked in a good way..

I had a guy contact me through our local website and let us know he was coming over to Texas on a vacation/job project from NC .He asked us would there be interest in finding riders for his new boat and was planning on dragging with him.

I told him sure come on down ,when the guy arrived he posted then called me,i talked to him on the phone and set him up with some riders.Later in the week i gave him a call and we set up a plan to meet and go ride.

Well i was in my truck waiting on him in the parking lot and he called me asking me what vehicle i was in and he and i were on the phone looking for each other and when he passed by once i totally didnt even give it a thought it was him,why because he was black..

funny it was him and we hooked up and went to ride and he was pretty good ,had a few inverts and a spin,pushed himself hard on the water..Great guy real nice,mild mannered and broke all stereo types ..

Funny thing when were cleaning up his boat and loading stuff nback in his truck he also had ice skates in his truck,he also plays Hockey !

Cool dude the fact that he was black and i couldnt tell from his posts,phone conversations,or while watching him ride made me realize while there are stereo types out there he didnt fit any.

good rider with a great attitude..just another stoked wakeboarder..

well his name was Theo ..he may even lurk here.If so whats up dude,come on here and shre your storys.
Old     (ssteele013)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-08-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
josh palma is a good wakeboard...whirly 5's switch whirly 5s 9's all 7's...i think he rides for hyperlite but im not for sure hes preety good tho be sure to look him up...i remeber seeing him on (pull)
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-08-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
ok, i just watched julian bah's video. i'm speechless. thanks for posting it matt!
Old     (aircat)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-08-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
I'm going to be honest, I've been sitting back waiting for this thread to "spin out of control" and it hasn't. That says a lot about the people in the WW community.

Many of the comments so far have been accurate as to why there are not more black americans on the water. A majority of it has to do with socioeconomic reasons, and that would be the case regardless of what race you are from. Plain and simple boating is expensive. My family had a boat when I was growing up so I have always had the benefit of understanding how nice it is to be out on the water ( I didn't start wakeboarding until I was older). Growing up in KY I do remember driving to the lakes and many lakes aren't in places that are exactly "black" friendly. Anyways once we got on the water I never noticed anyone treating us any different because of our race. I would also like to say that everyone in my entire family can swim. Now that I am older I always try to "pay it forward" just like the "Christmas" thread, not just to people who look like me but to anyone that has not had the opportunity to be on the lake and try wakeboarding. With that being said, I think that the sport has come a long way and in the coming years I'm sure that there will be a great wakeboarder that happens to be black vs. a black person that is a good wakeboarder.
Old     (soccerfreak785)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
When I was talking about black people in extreme sports, I didn't mean there weren't any. I was just saying there weren't many in the limelight. As an example, probably 90-95% of the athletes who compete in the x-games are white. That doesn't mean there aren't black people who do do extreme sports just that the vast majority are white.

But I agree with what has been said, at least as it relates to wakeboarding. Its an expensive sport, especially when you take into account all the maintenance that goes along with owning a boat. My family has had something wrong with our boat every year we've owned it, partly from user error, partly from owning an 11 year old boat. We cracked an engine block one year, One year the boat kept overheating cause the impeller was worn down to nothing and just this last summer we had a bent prop shaft that needed replacing. And I've lost count of how many props we've ruined on rocks/obstacles in the water. (We have an I/O so hitting things in the water isn't as bad as it would be for all you inboard owners out there).

Point is its expensive, and white people, IN GENERAL, tend to be more well off. I'm not trying to be racist, just stating the facts.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-08-2006, 10:51 PM Reply   
some of the extreme sports arent expensive... what about them?
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-09-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
Hi All,
I just joined this board a few days ago, and so far you guys got a lot of class. Good thread with a lot of insight on a touchy mater. I think this country has come along way in this area of prejudice. I think the younger generation has brought this one step further. I can remember my sweet little old grandmother from the city of Chicago being one of the worst raciest people you would not want to meet. I did not want to pass that hate along to my kids, and did not practice, or teach, that kind of behavior to them, thus ending that in my family.
I agree that boating is a lot of money, having one myself for 7 years. One of the last posters said it correctly that there is always something wrong and that needs fixing, just got back from buying $ 50 worth of plugs and having the cover fixed at $ 75.
If you think about it, you kind of do what you learned or what your friends were doing, if the black community in a hole don't go boating, how would you now if you liked it or not. In the 70s I hung out on the water with my rich friends, and their boat, we had nothing growing up. If I din't have that chance with someone that had money would I still have tried water sports and got my kids into it as well?
It would be great if they did though, they got a LOT of style and their soul comes out in the way they move. Look out Parks and Shain, white guys can't jump.
I like the idea paying it forward!!
Paul

(Message edited by Paulw on December 09, 2006)

(Message edited by paulw on December 09, 2006)
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-09-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
JB, I didn't really want to get into it because i don't know how people will take it. but i kind ov feel like i should say this because i didn't see where anyone else had. just to be clear, one of my best friends is black. i'm not racist at all. so... they will try to say that the reasons are what you stated above. that does make some sense and probably does equal out to part of the percentage african-americans seem to be more athletic. however, i find it hard NOT to believe that the primary reason there are more blacks, for example in a lot of pro ball sports, is because their ancestors were bread by slave owners to be the best workers (bigger, stronger, faster). a good prof. will tell you how historians have found slave journals or diaries that speak of things like a "valuable" slave woman not wanting to reproduce with a "valuable" slave man because they weren't in love. I would hope some of them were able to escape or their owner died before they had make a baby just for the reason that it will grow up to be able to produce more. My main point though is that I think a lot of times this did happen and since slavery it has just so happened that some men and women have voluntarily gotten together who both possessed greter than average athletic ability and the child can get the best of both. agree?
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-09-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
My friend angelo rew up in tahoe and is a pro snowboarder, he can do numerous nines, and does rodeo 7's and double back flips. I took him wakeboarding for his first time two years ago and in the first wakeboarding run of his life ever, he landed a tantrum. He is African American, and def one of the most all around talented guys i know.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-09-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
J Hill,

I see your point. Unfortnuately this was not brought up in my class. I wish it would have, it is a valid point IMO.
Also, since my class was sociology I believe that the Prof had a skewed mindset (i.e. he equated everything to a sociological difference...).

_JB
Old     (dekay)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-09-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
50 Cent wants to be a wakeboarder. He just bought a of boards from Liquid Force.
Old     (devast8r)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-12-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
They dont like the water i have been a life guard and i only had like 5blacks come to the pool the whole summer and none of them swam well. I wakeboard all year round and i see alot fishing also alot of mexicans fisihing but i dont ever see blacks or mexicans doing anywater sport for that matter and especialy not in the cold thats the truth for you not that they cant its just not desierd by them
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-12-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
"ONCE AGAIN THIS WAS IN NOW WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM INTENDED TO BE RACIST"

but you also say...

"Everyone knows that african americans are generally better athletes with a lot more style"

So you think one race to be superior in a certain area but don't think that's racism? What exactly do you think racism is? Because if that's not it, I'm not entirely sure I (or the folks who make dictionaries) really understand the meaning of the word. It might not be malicious in intent but it is certaily racism. Covering it up with "Everybody knows" doesn't make it unracist.

"dominate like tiger woods did to the normally white dominated PGA."

Do you really think being black had anything to do with Tiger Woods' recent domination of all things PGA? This makes about as much sense as attributing Parks Bonifay's ability to him being white. They were both child prodigies and have been doing what they do since they were very young.

I'd have to wager that socioeconomic statistics have more to do with a lack of black people at the lake on a boat than anything else. Odds are that black people are poorer and odds are that boat owners have higher-than-average incomes. That leaves very few likely black boat owners. That's all conjecture though. I've never bothered to look up the subject.

And a fun story before I go but one of my wife's friends is an African American. In college she did fill out paperwork properly and identify herself as an African American. And she was treated very rudely by fellow African American students because while her parents were from Africa and she was born a US citizen, she is very much white (and so are her parents). African American does not equal black.
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-12-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
I guess anybody can take anything out of context.Now that you've vented do you feel better ?????????
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-12-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
Dante that is funny I havea friend who is in the same boat. His mom was a misionary what are the odds.

Christopher.
I have beeen apart of GCWA.com from thier first year I have ridden upper san jac, clear creek, and the trinity for the past 4yrs and I ride year round. when i was younger I was on a city swim team missed out on going to state. Hell I got pics of Hahn, few others, and I riding samamish in feb. (air temp in the 50's water was in the 40's)Next time I'm in H-town maybe we can ride together

I would have to say economics plays a big part. This is just here say, but the avg house with a boat is in the top 10%income range 100k+. if you compare that with the number of blacks in that income range it would be hard to argue that economics is not the primary reason.

And for your statment you get the:
WAG OF THE FINGER

But
I could car less as long as some one is willing to give me a pull.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-12-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
My friend was born in Egypt, and he is a US citizen. Does that make him and African American?Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-12-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
the guy with the pink hat
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-12-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
Yep but maybe egyption.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-13-2006, 5:22 AM Reply   
Out of context? Jerry, what context does thinking one race is better than another race at something not equal racism? I'm not out for some sort of vent. I'm just trying to point out the silliness of the situation. Tingey has a valid question he wants to ask and his utter fear of being labeled a racist has made him afraid to ask it. His line of reasoning does have some (quite harmless) racism involved but we as a society are so scared of being labelled as racists that we'd rather try to argue that something obviously racist is not than just acknowledge it for what it is and move on.
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-13-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
I guess you were not done ?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-13-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
Ok, I hope I'm quoting the right person, but a long time ago when the AFRICA thing was really big, you know medalions and all that Bill Cosby was on Arsenio Hall. When asked about being African American he passionately responded.

"I am Not an African American! I am an American! and I happen to be black."

I thought that was a great attitude. I really think that it is the wrong approach for blacks to separate themselves from the rest country. Perhaps thats just my perspective but it seems like they're the ones separating themselves, forming a separate and really pushing for a distinct culture.

Ok, admittedly I am from Utah, there are not a whole lot of blacks here. But I've always played a lot of basketball and have hung out with quite a few blacks. Most of them were amazing people with great attitudes, but then again, they were the kind of people just trying to be people and not separate themselves.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-13-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
rob u made it sound like you were ashamed to say u were from utah.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-14-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Not ashamed at all, I think it's awesome, only complaint is that the summers aren't quite long enough. On the other had we go snowmobiling in Fairview all winter long.

My senior year of high school I went to a school in Palo Alto CA, for some reason everyone expected me to be racist because I'm from Utah.....? Not really sure why, Its true that there aren't a lot of blacks here, not even a lot of non mormons in Provo, I will say that playing sports does give you a good perspective sometimes. When you're on the court, it doesn't really matter what color you are, just how well you do on the court.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-14-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
hey everyone, good comments by all. it is obvious that we in the wakeboard community are extremely diversified people. there is no room in this world for haters. here are my thoughts. race, creed, sex, ethnic background etc, has nothing to do with this. imo, its how you were raised. its where you were raised. and its your everyday lifestyle and people your surrounded by will influence you. think about it, if your black, white, whatever and you grow up in the urban big city you might not have oppertunity to experience certain sports, i.e. wakeboarding, surfing. people adapt to there environment. im from santa cruz, i grew up around water sports. one of my best friends is a pro surfer, from africa, but hes white. i have 2 black friends from sc that surf and the rip. i love playing b ball, but i sure cant dunk. so to rap it up, i feel the color of your skin has nothing to do with what sports you play. i believe when people are stoked about there sport, it becomes cultural. thanks everyone.

(Message edited by westsiderippa on December 14, 2006)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-15-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
BYU al the way
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-16-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
Ok here's my $.02, Back in the day I was in the Marine Corps, right out of high school. It is mandatory everyone swims. My first experience in the tank with my platoon, 70% of the African American recruits almost drowned. Every Sunday there after I marched a group of 10-15 guys to the tank every Sunday for swim practice.

First, African Americans tend to have a lower body fat percentage and therefore don't float very well. Me being a big guy, I float like a boey. Second, a lot of minorities, not just African Americans, don't know how to swim. Learning to swim at an early age is not necessarily available to inner city youth and under privileged children.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-16-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
One of the best Show skiers @ Cypress Gardens and Sea World I knew was a black dude named Otis Wilson. He was one helluva barefooter and jumper, his sister was a great show skier as well.
Old     (skillz)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-23-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
I just saw this post about Black wakeboarders. There are a few of us out there. Most Blacks just are not exposed to the sport, but alot of my friends are addicted to riding now. I roll we a diverse crew and have taught several White people to wakeboard.

There are quite a few Black skater, Stevie Williams, Terri Kennedy just to name a few. Keir Dillon, pro Snowboarder.

(Message edited by skillz on December 23, 2006)
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-24-2006, 1:38 AM Reply   
Hmmmmmm.....
Everyone's entitled to an opinion so here's my .02...

In my experience most people who say "I'm not a racist but...." are usually either racist or have no clue. B. Tingey I think is in the no clue category and I appreciate his attempt to educate himself.

In my experience most people who refer to an entire race of people as "one" , "one of them", or "they" probably has a white hood either in their personal wardrobe or in their family tree.

As a personal note to Tingey...I would be careful listening to anyone who goes around lumping all african-americans into one broad category. For example, "they don't like water" or "they can't swim". I'm from Florida and in 34 years I can only think of 4 african-americans who can't swim. I can think of at least the same number of whites who can't swim either. In addition, most of my white friends don't participate in water sports either. Think about it... if every white kid was into wakeboarding then who knows it might become a "mainstream sport" with the same contracts, venues, TV coverage, groupies.....(although there is a sick stadium in south florida for water sports rotting away)

Not all the african-americans I know can dance...nor are they good in athletics...some graduate magna *** laude...go to med school...I've got an african-american friend who owns a financial consulting firm... I have another who owns his own computer firm... I know another who's the GM of a pro team...

Media is a funny beast... it often shapes our perception of the world around us... unfortunately for the guy in Utah it's all you know...I hope that we can all learn a little from this post.."I don't know any blacks who wakeboard, skate, motorcross, surf..." There seems to be a whole whost of african-americans we've never seen or heard of into extreme sports... I saw that guy Otis that billy is talking about he was really sick...(Billy was pretty da$%&@ good himself)

You don't have to be black, white, asian, or latino to lace it up and fall in love with liquid...

By the same token I know I'll try to have a much more diverse crowd on my boat this upcoming season!!!!!! How about you?????