Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-04-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
OK so I'm debating cutting out a portion of the drivers foot well to add a correctly built sub box. Has anyone done this or have any feedback regarding this procedure? Is there a structural purpose to this or is it just a foot rest. I've looked inside the ski locker and can see inside the compartment. It isn't attached to the floor (hull or stringer assembly) or the the inner wall.
For me its a major mod to the floor and I'm curious if anyone else has attempted it.
Old     (zammer)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-04-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
you should be o.k, how much are you cutting out?
Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-04-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
i have done it... no problems at all
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-04-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
i have seen it done. it takes a lot of work but it is do-able
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-04-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Pics anyone? I plan on cutting out about 20 inches wide and go to the back where the heater is mounted.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-04-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
i dont understand why. can someone explain the reason for this. why would it be a "correct" sub box to cut out the floor, seems like a structural nightmear and a waranty disaster.

edit: i think i just figured out that its a moomba lsv maybe theres less room then a bu lsv

(Message edited by westsiderippa on April 04, 2008)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
It's not necc. on that boat. Do some searchign and you cna find boxes built that don't require cutting.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
Hmm, are you talking about the footpanel? There are screws along the bottom if thats what you are talking about.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-07-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
No on the Moomba LSV there is an built in foot panel of sorts that moomba puts their factory sub in. It is in no way sealed or near the cubic feet I need. So I want to build a box into it instead of around it, It would take up a ton of room to build around it. Its too late anyway I already cut it open and am under way. I will post pics up soon.
Old     (cab13367)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-07-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of the foot panel or foot box that Ryan is talking about/has already cut into. This is where Moomba puts their factory sub but as Ryan says, it is not a sealed compartment. I am planning to install a sub there as well so I am curious what he's come up with.

Post those pics ASAP Ryan!

Upload
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2008, 12:13 AM Reply   
this is a job done by Team Neptunes!
www.teamnetunes.com
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2008, 12:30 AM Reply   
i love that boat every time i see it, so so sic, i wish my bu had that power, but thats the wrong lsv mike, these guys are talking moomba not bu, i now see the problem at hand and dude you got more huevos than me i would just take to neptunes and let them cut that shiat.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-08-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
I was hoping to finish before I posted pics this is what I have so far.
Carpet cut prior to cutting panel
Upload
Upload
Carpet peeled back and cut open
Upload
Backing installed and glassed in
Upload
I'll post more pics when I getr the carpet and box built.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-08-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
Looks great
Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-09-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
i put an kicker L7 15'' in mine... its getting it 100hr service right now when i get it back I will get some pics of it.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-09-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
Chris did you build a box or did you just put it in that bulkhead?

nevermind I see your earlier post.

(Message edited by newty on April 09, 2008)
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-19-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Ryan what kind of sub are you putting into that space?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
Kicker L-5. That hole just gave me more space. The box will just set further under the dash.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
i could never give up my footspace like the teamnetunes project boat did. it looks great and i bet it sounds awsome but it dont look like it would be any fun to drive.

(Message edited by kko13 on April 20, 2008)
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-20-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
Ryan- you have given me the motivation to do this on my boat, I have a JL 12w6 I'm trying to get into that space, how was it fiberglassing that back in and how did you do it? (looks good) have any suggestions/warnings before I get going?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
Kevin I'm 6 foot and have made sure there is plenty of room. I hate feeling cramped all in the name of air space.
Todd I detatched my heater and pulled the carpet from front to back. You may have to replace the carpet because when you remove it the fibers pull through sticking to the floor. you can only pull it to the botttom of the foot rest because the carpet is one and the same as the walk through. I used a cordless trim saw because my compressor isn't big enough to keep up with my cut-off wheel. Leave about 1/2" of material next to the walkthrough. And about 3" to the left of the port on the right. I left about 2" and I had a tough time with the throttle cable moving where I wanted it. I ended up wrapping all the wires and cables with foam pipe insulation to keep it from toughing the new addition. Use a chisel to get that caulking out. I use tile backer board because it will never rot. You could use marine grade plywood or anything you are comfortable with. I had to shim it off the floor a bit to get it to be level with the existing floor. I used almost 2 tubes of liquid nails to set it all in place. The next day I put a nice coat of resin and glass mat over all the seams and corners. Notice I left about 2 inches of the top so if I had to fish anything else through that area there is still room. I am picking up my boat tomorrow so I can finish the project. Todd I sent you a PM so you can give me a call in the afternoon tomorrow so I can give exact measurments.