Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    nogomofo            05-16-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
Hey anybody got any opinions on the 04 Mercruiser vs. the Indamar?
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-16-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
Indamar, never heard of it? Kidding, I like Indmar!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-16-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
Indmar, hands down. I used to be a huge fan of Mercruiser. My family had over 1200 hours on a '92 Mercruiser engine in a Malibu, but we have had nothing but problems with the Mercruisers in our '02 and '03 boats. Not major problems, just little things like the belts were not properly lined up at the factory and caused the belts to shred (3 times on '02, twice on '03), and there was some weird electrical problem on the '02 that the dealer never did figure out. It seemed like their was no connection between the ignition and the engine, you would turn the key and get nothing. You could do this about 40 times, then the 41st try the boat would start with no problems. Other than the minor problems the Mercruisers were ok, no major problems in 165 hours on the '02 and the current 189 on the '03.

I feel one of the best engines out there is the Monsoon 340 that Indmar makes for Malibu.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-16-2004, 6:31 PM Reply   
Indmar all the way
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2004, 7:22 PM Reply   
Yeah I am definitely leaning towards Indmar, We're looking at getting a new boat and I think the warranty says a lot Mercruiser 1 year (which is about 50 hrs for jo average user) vs Indmars 3 years.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-16-2004, 7:40 PM Reply   
I got the Indmar in my X-Star and love it, no problems and is the best marine engine my family has every used.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-17-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Our dealer stopped specifying Mercruiser as their engine of choice for stocked boats. This is due to Mercruiser only giving a year warranty. I had a Mercruiser in my last boat and it was great, but I wouldn't buy another unless it had at least a 3 year warranty!
Old    tommyadrian5            05-17-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
I know its only one little thing, but it takes about 5 minutes to change an impeller on most indmars (crank driven r/w pump), whereas, unless i'm wrong, on mercruisers you have to take off a belt and dissassemble the r/w pump (belt driven) to change the impeller.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-17-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
I had a 2000 mercruiser and put over 1000 hours on it... no problems whatsover... a couple of impellers... 15 minute quickie... i also had the standard 1 yr warranty.. and paid $500 for an additional 4 years... now that i have traded the boat in.. I got some money back for the un-used warranty...

i now have the 2004 6.2L merc... i think there posted rate on hp is conservative.. which i dont mind... keeps the insurance down... it came standard with 3 yr warranty... and i got a $500 rebate...

fully loaded with 2500 lbs.. 6 people.. and at 22mph.. runs at a low 2670rpms... and very quiet...

i have been in an mc x2 with indmar 350 mcx ho... and when loaded it runs at over 3100+ rpms...

also indmars have had a share of their own problems with fuel injecting fittings etc...

there is no company out their that will be problem free...

the key is to fnd someone that will work on it!!!

i live in a small town... but has 5 marine repair shops... 4 of them are merc authorized.. one is yamaha authorized... none have indmar experience... even though we have a dealer that sells boats that are indmar powered...

i just think it comes down to the service center you feel comfortable with...

best of luck...
Old    chavezychavez            05-17-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
Like Kyle was getting at, if Indmar really wants to make a mark, they need to get more authorized service centers.

Merc's got over 3000 compared to Indmar's 400 (approximations). Of course, this can be attributed to Merc's I/O and outboard market, but it can make a big difference come maintenance/service time - especially if you live in a fringe area. It also provides the consumer with choices for service instead of maybe 1 or 2 shops in their respective area.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2004, 8:39 PM Reply   
Chavez, like you said, the only reason Merc has so many service areas is because of their I/O market. Indmar will never have as big of network.
Old    excesspaint            05-17-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
I have a Mastercraft Prostar 205 with over 900 hours of heavy haulin, 2000+ lbs, and no problems at all. Its got the fuel injected Indmar and it runs awesome.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-18-2004, 4:56 AM Reply   
Always heard Mercruisers called welfare motors for the simple reason that lots of the time they just don't fell like working... If find it very hard to get excited about a boat with a Mercruiser powerplant.

PCM also has a great motor.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-18-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
I like how people bash companies products on these discussion boards.. "welfare motors" etc...

When someone builds a product that is a non-essential item and costs over $50,000...

You would think that if you are building a bad product.. you wouldnt be in business for very long...

Not only has Mercruiser been around a long time, they are the worlds largest producer of marine powerplants...

So I guess they have a great business plan... build lousy motors and become the biggest provider in the world... go figure...

I like any powerplant that comes in the boat that I am buying... whether it be Merc, Indmar, PCM, Vortec... etc...

Any motor you buy.. is going to break down at some point in your life if you keep it long enough... just make sure you can get parts and service readily available...

You will be on the lake longer and more often....
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-18-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
I'd rather have an Indmar that breaks down at 1500 hours than our latest Mercruisers that were both in the shop 3+ times by the 50 hour mark.

Oh, and isn't the Vortec motor just a PCM?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
For those Indmar lovers... check out wakeboarder.com.. there is a couple of guys having prolems with the mc 205's... indmar equipped... smoke.. over heating... etc...

i liekd the comment about mercruiser being a welfare motor...

that is what i am on.... i am on welfare.. got myself a enw boat.. and get to wakeboard every day morning noon and night... some of the benefits of welfare...

for those that are working.. you will have to stay with indmar... because you wont qualify for the welfare motor club...

WMC all the way - joint today.. the WELFARE MOTOR CLUB...

Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-20-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
Kyle,
The one thread is someone that overheated there boat what does that have to do with Indmar?
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-20-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
All the boats I have owned have had mercruiser motors in them. I have never had one problem. It all comes down to prefrence. All motors are going to eventually need service or break down.