Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    wallystyle            07-29-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
Hello all. I just moved here from Washingtion, DC to Vancouver, WA. I'm looking for spots to take out my VLX and do some boarding. I also want to find somewhere to blast my new NVS addictions, which absolutely ROCK!!! Thanks, Duane ;). People have told me that the Columbia River is nice, but I have no idea where to start. Any help anyone???? Thanks.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-30-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
hey im right on the columbia river in the tri-cities wa. We have some really good spots and its pretty nice. It's warmed up a lot since april when i made my first run. But yea if your ever on this side of the state, let me know and we'll ride. I dont know how far Vancouver is from here, a few hours i think.
Old     (jdrcrew8)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
I haven't ridden the Columbia so people will be able to add more than I but I will give you the areas I do know.

Between Government Island (the one in the middle of the 205 bridge) between the island and the Oregon side of the river.

You can also get in between Govt. Island and some of those smaller islands but I would HIGHLY recommend investing in some charts of the river as the dropping water level as the summer goes on will expose some sandbars.

People ride in North Portland Harbor which is between Hayden Island and the Oregon side of the river, west of I-5. East of I-5 bridge is all a no-wake zone.

Lower part of the Willamette, it turns a little so sometimes you can find windlines where you will get some good water.

Multnomah Channel, approx. a mile upriver in the Willamette then West from the main river. It goes all the way to St. Helens (it is what makes Sauvies Island) and I've heard that some people ride in there.

Occasionally the stars will align and the main body of the Columbia will be flat. It is usually in the morning but good luck trying to time it.

I've heard that up around Camas there is some slough that is just big enough to ride in but you are on your own trying to find it.

As far as Columbia launches I only know of one in Vancouver between I-5 and 205 just off SR14 somewhere. On the OR side there are lauches at 42nd St. off Marine Dr., Chinook Landing way down Marine Dr. at like 247th, a launch on the Willamette right under the St. Johns bridge.

The lakes up North of you. Merwin, Yale, Swift. North on I-5 to Woodland then east up the Lewis R. These are resevoirs and are fairly close to Mt. St. Helens so I think can be cold. Yale is also huge and I've heard from fishermen that it can be a windy mess.

Battleground Lake is also just North of Vancouver on one of those state highways (502?), don't know anything about it though.

Depending on your skill level Active Water Sports has a private lake called Koppert. It is up I-5 not too far as I hear. They do some tourneys up there and have sliders set up.

Now you know what I know. AVOID the Columbia during hot weekends like the plague. Not only are there a ton of people out there pulling tubes, but no one seems to actually know a safe way to drive amongst other people.

If all else fails, hook up and start driving up the Columbia either on I-84 or SR 14. If the wind is up you can get into conditions that run a decent chance of swamping and sinking your boat but sometimes it will be flat as can be all the way up to Hood River (bear in mind that Hood River/White Salmon is the windsurfing capital of the world!).

And the last thing to remember, barges have the right of way and can't see about a hundred yards in front of their bow so steer clear of them.

Good Luck. Make sure you tell everyone on this board how much it rains here!

(Message edited by jdrcrew8 on August 02, 2005)
Old    alaskaboy            08-02-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
It looks like B Fitz covered most of it, but I would add a little.

Battle ground lake is out, too small. The slough on the east side of the river is just up from Camas near Beacon rock is pretty good if you keep up on the ever changing sand bars.

In Camas there is also Lacamas lake, but it's kind of small if there are a lot of boats. I won't go there on the weekend only after work.

Mayfield lake is good; it's just past Longview east of I-5, depending on where in Vancouver you are it's about an hour.

The best (I think) is either Lake Billy Chinook or Prineville reservoir. They are both in central Oregon about 3 hours from Vancouver.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
There are several spots on the Willamette

Ross Island Lagoon, Newberg, Charboneau
All of these spots are starting to get overcrowded with the popularity of the sport and with all the people moving out....but they are great spots to ride and hang out
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-02-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
The Willamette near Wilsonville/Charbeneau, just 30 minutes from Vancouver down the I-5 is one of the best spots to ride in the Northwest.
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
Just outta' curiosity, what is the water temp of the Columbia during the summer?

~J.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
Willamette is sitting 72 ish lately... I am sure it is about the same... could be wrong though
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-02-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
I was just in the columbia in Hood River and it is easily trunkable.
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-09-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
Bryan,

Welcome to Vancouver. I know I'll probably get the death flame for this, but, I hate the rivers (Columbia / Willamette). Vancouver is only 20 minutes from Lake Merwin and Yale Resevoir. Water is much cleaner and nicer in my opinion. Weekdays are best, but weekends on the Yale side are OK as well.

Need directions give me a holler!