Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    walt            07-01-2004, 7:33 PM Reply   
It sounds like they are trying to close the lake for a few years. Here is a petition against it.
http://www.petitiononline.com/SLBP/petition.html
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-01-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
It doesn't say much, but it sounds like maybe they are just trying to pull the lease on the homes and maybe the campgrounds on the lake.

I was told a couple years ago that the communities on the water are all leased land and that they have been through this type of threat before. It doesn't sound like it will affect the ability to go out on the lake but it would suck not to have any more places to camp.
Old    walt            07-01-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
Here is part of a E-mail that I got from Hammer Marine.
Save Lake Berryessa!! They want to shut the lake down for 2 years!
Not if we can something about it!

Sorry i don't know all the details.

Old    walt            07-01-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
I don't go there to often but if they close it My home lake (Sonoma) will be a mess.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-01-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
It's too late for that... Sonoma is already a mess.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-01-2004, 8:51 PM Reply   
http://www.usbr.gov/mp/berryessa/

Here is what I found after looking around a bit. I am betting this is what they are speaking of. Basically it seems they are making changes based on their environmental study that include revoking the long-term leases they have given to the people with trailers and the camp grounds. Sounds like they will still keep day-use areas and ramps. It doesn't say anything about closing the lake to recreation. My guess is the petition is more from the people who stand to lose their living by having some of these facilities closed. I'm not so sympathetic towards people with the trailers but I would feel real bad for the folks who make their living by running those facilities. Hopefully they can find a solution that works out for both parties and still keep the environment from tanking.
Alot of people would be out of some good local camping if they shut things down.
Old    walt            07-01-2004, 9:45 PM Reply   
Sparky, Yes it sucks on the weekend but It's not bad during the week. But it would be if the number of people increased.
Old    1kanaka            07-02-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
Mike, your right. In a nutshell, they just want to "clean" up the lake. This won't affect camping or the bigger resort communities. Overall I agree with their proposal.
Old    hyperlitegrl            07-02-2004, 4:43 PM Reply   
well i bet its because ith gettin low of water n last time i went 4 years ago it was really murky water n it was suuuper muddy they probly want to just fix all that.... or mabey i should read the darn thing to really find out eh.... try to find a more detailed petitin or osome ware to call to find out more like the campgrounds maby?
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-06-2004, 9:44 PM Reply   
They want to shut the lake down to the public for a minimum of 2 years.
The lake is not low at all. in fact it was overfull for much of the winter.
This is not good and will leave alot of people homeless, and alot more out of very big investments.
It's not fair that some of the resorts are getting stay while the others are not. They have a measure that will alow people to stay and still aacomplish alot of what they want to do.
Here are some websites to look at-
LBVSPT.info
LBTaskForce.org
petitiononline.com/SLBP/petition.html
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
They are not trying to close the lake for 2 years. The 7 marinas on the lake have a lease that runs out in 2008-2009. There are 4 different proposals detailing plans after the leases have expired. The most debated provision in all the proposals is the removal of all long term trailer sites from the lake. I understand the pain that this may cause a few people, but this is a public lake and I for one would like to see more places for the public to camp and enjoy the lake.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2004, 5:22 PM Reply   
if it's to rid of mobile homes, campers and shizz, i'd say don't sign the petition.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2004, 5:27 PM Reply   
This petition is to keep the mobile homes.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2004, 10:34 PM Reply   
Actually they are trying to close the lake for atleast 2 years.
Joe, they want to close some, not all of the resorts(which is b.s.)open more campgrounds and day use areas(great more people that don't give a rat's a$$ about the lake)don't get me wrong I have and continue to camp from time to time, but 90% of the people that camp up their really could care less about about the lake. Walk through any campground on a monday and you'll see what I mean. The petition is for a plan that will keep the mobile homes, upgrade all facilities to current codes, open more camp/day use areas, set up programs to beter manage the lake etc,etc.
ProtectBerryessa.org
Old    fate219            07-08-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
Much attention has been focused on the removal of trailers at Lake Berryessa, but there are many other issues at stake for the Lake. One of the changes being proposed is more 5 mph zones and NO powerboat areas. If you are a pleasure boater, water skier, wakeboarder, PWC user or fisherman, this will restrict you from some of the best areas of the lake, including but not limited to the mouth of the narrows to the dam and many of the coves. Our problem as boaters is these plans are strongly supported by Napa County Board of Supervisors and the Bureau of Reclamation. They are being pressured by the Sierra Club to limit "motorized recreation" on the lake to make more room for "nature-based recreation" such as kayaking, and "eco-tourism" They also want to get rid of what they call "exclusive use" of public lands such as the mobile homes, the Monticello Ski Club, and the Boy Scout camp. Then they say they want to exclude powerboats from the best parts of the lake to make room for kayakers and hikers. What they are saying is they want "exclusive use" of the lake for themselves.The proposed Bureau plan closes the entire lake for at least 2 years while ALL buildings,roads,restrooms,snack bars, trailers/mobiles, etc. are demolished from ALL 7 resorts. The effects on local business would be disastrous if their plans are implemented.
Changes are needed at the lake, but the alternatives proposed by the BOR are not the answer, they could dimish or even end recreational opportunities at the lake because they are unrealistic.
The BOR and Napa County does not have the best interest of the lake or general public in mind!
This is an all out fight...if you want to protect your right to enjoy Lake Berryessa, support "CITIZENS TO PROTECT LAKE BERRYESSA" send an email to- PrtotectBerryessa@aol.com - include your name, city, and email address and state you want to be listed as a supporter to Protect Lake Berryessa.

Web-sites for information: www.ProtectBerryessa.org
www.lbtaskforce.org

}
Old    1kanaka            07-08-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
Although I do support, a "clean up" of the lake. ie. dilapidated trailers, trailer parks not up to code. I have learned quite a few things about the BOR's plans that I did not know before. I now realize I don't necessarily agree with them. Much of which Cheryl and Chris aka "Russian??" have already mentioned. I have used Berryessa year round since the late 80's, and would hate to see it exclusively governed by an organization of people that don't even use it at least ONCE a year. I have seen Berryessa go from "sleeper" lake, to the "cluster" it is most summer days now. It would be very eerie to see Berryessa without a single boat on it.

PS. I'm going out today. I'll be sure to ask the people at Markley Cove their take on this.